“Skip this one”
Review of Solaro Estate

Solaro Estate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A local Austin winery venue; Solaro Estate expands above Barton Creek in harmony with the beauty of vineyards, racing Thoroughbreds and the spectacular vistas unique to the Texas Hill Country.In the Italian tradition, the Tasting Pavillion is integrated with the vineyard, encouraging the natural connection from the vine and grape to glass.
Reviewed May 18, 2014

They are definitely full of themselves. Our service was good and the person pouring was knowledgeable. However the service should have been good as we were the only ones tasting while there was one couple on the deck. This was on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Perhaps the lack of people indicates people have caught on to this pretentious winery. 10 for 4 pours is pricey when right up the road I tasted wines just as good with 10 pours for $10. They are better wines available in the area as well as better tasting experiences. Skip this one.

4  Thank jcjr2
There are newer reviews for Solaro Estate

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I wish we had not wasted our time to drive to this one. The gentleman who helped us (which I now read is an owner) was insulting and downright RUDE. I tried his wines and didn't care for any. Being respectful, I didn't criticize. When he asked me what I typically drink, I said sweet wines. His response was that they are made with "the leftover, mildewed grapes that didn't make it into the good wines." I was taken back by his insult, but more so that he wouldn't let it go. Hoping I could get him to leave me alone, I spoke up and said "I guess if I like to drink mildewed grapes out of a bucket then so be it. I like what I like." He said "well you're wrong." I'm sorry...are my wine tastes up for debate? Did I even ask you? Ummmm...no. Spend less time memorizing the awards for each bottle of wine (Zzzzz...) and work on your people skills. Don't waste your time driving to this one!

7  Thank newlywed7310
Reviewed April 11, 2014

The other reviews about chintzy pours, rude staff, price-gouging and mediocre wine are not exaggerations. They love to ride the wave of medals and "Texas Winery of the Year." It's almost too much to take. Can't we all just admit that your wine really isn't that good? Even the better stuff, like the Tempranillo simply isn't worth $54. That's what you pay for some good Napa cabs and blends. Please get your heads out of the clouds, focus on wine making and customer service, and for pity's sake, lower your prices.

Don't get a membership...we canceled as quickly as we could, and that was only after 2 shipments of about $130 for ONLY 3 BOTTLES each. Plus, I picked up our shipment and they still charged $4 shipping and handling?! Because they packed it up for shipping, even though they didn't ship, they charged me for the packaging. Bad form.

5  Thank agentgyrl
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I visited the winery as part of our self-guided tour of assorted wineries in the area. We went in to try the wines and were right away told we would not be allowed to share a tasting. Now, when visiting several wineries I find that sharing is the only way I can do it otherwise I'd be in no condition to continue. I fail to see the harm in letting a couple share the sample so a joint decision can be made. Chances are we would have bought a few bottles but the silly unwarranted policy just sent us out the door without a single taste. There are enough other wines to try without putting up with stuff like that so my money was spent elsewhere.

They may have the best wines in Texas but sheesh, what's with the silly tasting policy?

5  Thank D B
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Wanted to check out this winery on oir birthday wine tour. We checked ahead and site said they were open.

We got there and gate was closed. Was not chained shut, and saw a camera and automatic opener on the gate. I thought was an unusual way to let guests in.

I called to ask how to gain entrance. A very rude and abrupt woman said by appointment only otherwise closed and hung up on me.

I do not imagine we will be going back there.

5  Thank Antony K