“Finger Licking Good!”
Review of Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Driftwood
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We had the combination plate with brisket, sausage, ribs, and several sides and everything was very tasty. Our only disappointment is we didn't bring a big enough cooler to take home all the leftovers. This is a casual restaurant where you eat on picnic tables and BYOB. There is a lot to look at with the big open BBQ's. Terrific place to take out of town guests.

There are newer reviews for Salt Lick BBQ

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I've seen some negative reviews posted on here which makes me think maybe I don't know as much about American BBQ houses as I might think...however, my first hand and possibly naive experience was that Salt Lick is an all round really great place to eat - both in terms of the actual food and service (we had Chris - who was fab, we never had to ask for anything), and as an all round culinary experience.

We got the All You Can Eat platter - which was probably unnecessary because it is just so much food, but there is something about knowing you can just keep ordering more that is really fun. It is $20 though, so not overly cheap.

The dining hall feel was actually really enjoyable (right down to the plastic plates), and if you want something that feels, sounds, looks and tastes like authentic Texan eating (you get to see the giant BBQ pit which is awesome) I would highly recommend - especially if you aren't from the states.

Overall - had a great time, and would recommend - maybe more to out of town tourists/passers by, but seriously, that food - yum.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Drove from Alabama to visit friends and Salt Lick in Driftwood was recommended. This was their first time there too. We each had the brisket/turkey/sausage sampler. All four of us agreed it was the best we've every had! It's out in the country (original location), didn't have to wait too long (even though there were hundreds there). And the price for all 4 meals was VERY REASONABLE. It was the perfect BBQ experience! Our friends say this will be the only BBQ they eat from here on out!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went to Salt Lick while my husband and I were in Austin for a few days this past week. Food was delicious just as I had imagined. The slice of pecan pie that I took home with me was probably the best I have ever had. My only complaints are that 1) it's cash only! & 2) I was dining by myself that night, as my husband had a work event to attend and it was like I was just a afterthought to the waiter, he really couldn't be bothered with me.
Oh yeah, had a glass of their white wine which was very good, easy to drink on a hot Texas evening.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

First time here but had head so much about it and in area decided to try. Huge gravel parking lot that was very full but found parking. Indoor seating was about 45 min. wait. There is a large outside patio with part being pet friendly and part reserved. There is also a the restaurant building and then another glassed in building with loads of seating at long picnic tables. On the property too is a corral area with very small building for wine tasting. It was too crowded for us to get into. Lots of people everywhere but we were able to order to go which only took about 15 min. and then sit in the area with the music outside with our little dog. The music was a two person band and not too loud but enjoyable. There was a huge industrial fan to circulate the outside air. All was under large trees so not too bad at all for TX at 6 PM. This was a Sat. visit but I understand they are crowded often. They have a senior/child selection of smaller portions. They are known for the BBQ ribs so we got that. Two ribs, potatoes and cole slaw with bread was the senior plate. Prices very reasonable, meat tender and sauce, which I usually don't get because too spicy/pungent, was very good with a touch of sweetness to balance it out. You are allowed to BYOB and many people had their ice chests with beer. They also serve beer and wine. We saw mostly adults and only a few kids. Since it was so crowded not much room for the kiddos to run around. Again, alcohol environment so maybe that's why mostly adults. This is located in country away from hustle and bustle and is casual, country setting.

Been to Salt Lick BBQ? Share your experiences!