“not worth the trip”
Review of Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Driftwood
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We ate on Saturday afternoon---along with about 500 other families. Huge wait, too hot even inside. You have to pay in cash. No credit cards. You have to bring your own beer---they don't serve it there....food was average. My husband is a huge BBQ fan and thought it was okay. I'm not a huge fan and would never drive out of the way for BBQ. It was fair at best. Their sauces are very good---the meat was not worth the hassle of the experience. Being shuttled around like livestock upon arrival is not my idea of a relaxing experience.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great place for families, locals and those who are easily enamoured with atmosphere. However, don't come here with high expectations if you are a real bbq journeyman because you will be sadly disappointed by the mediocrity of yet another over-hyped destination joint.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I went here not really knowing what to expect, and what I didn't expect was to wait all afternoon to eat.

We rolled in for what I considered a late lunch on a Saturday (about 2pm) and the massive dirt parking lot was already packed with cars and busses. Who knew this place was so popular? It is pretty much in the middle of no where.

It's a little confusing where to go, at first. There are two (or maybe more) main restaurants - which all serve the same thing. We got our name put in, but then we waited for over and hour to be seated.

The good news is, there's plenty to do while you wait. They have hammocks set up and yard games. They have a huge play area for children (this is where we hung out), and they have lots of outdoor area for people to just hang. (apparently bringing coolers of your own beverages is common for the waiting time)

Once we were seated, I was shocked by how empty the restaurant was. There were huge tables (could have seated 12 people) with 2 people sitting at them. I'm thinking - really? We sat down and ordered. Meats available are the standard, common meats at any BBQ place, but the selection of sides was really small, I thought. The food came quickly, but wasn't super-impressive. It was good, serviceable BBQ, but not something I would drive hours and then wait hours for.

Kinda like the rides at Disneyland...

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Very good BBQ not far from Austin and the open pit where the cook all their meats is awesome the restaurant is property is huge off a road where you would think a restaurant would never be but oh yeah welcome to the Salt Lick......if in Austin or San Antonio area a must stop!!!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The venue was awesome with live music and BYOB. Had a good meal and enjoyed the food, music and the company.