“...and I did not even like sushi before Keiichi.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Keiichi

Keiichi
Ranked #42 of 376 Restaurants in Denton
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Denton, Texas
“...and I did not even like sushi before Keiichi.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This restaurant is an experience not to be missed. The chef owner is exquisite in his preparation and demeanor and the food is UNBELIEVABLE. I do not often rave about anything, but I will rave about this restaurant. Make your reservations early . . . . .

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank gracious_tx_traveler

Pilot Point, Texas
“The Best Sushi/Sashimi Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

My attorney has been touting the glory of Keiichi for the last year. Last night I finally decided to find out why. Without a doubt, Keiichi is the best sushi/sashimi I have ever had. I was recommended to go off the menu and let Iron Chef Keiichi choose for me. What a treat. The yellowfin was delicate and full of flavor. The Kobe tartar was unbelievable. The crab tasted as if it was caught earlier in the day The edadame was perfectly steamed. The hot sake was a delight to the tastebuds. And the presentation by the Iron Chef is truly a delight to the eyes and senses. I would drive across Texas to dine here again and plan on being a regular. PS: Don't get worried when you see the non descript exterior. Once inside, you are transported to a place reminiscent of a high line Tokyo sushi/sashimi bar. Also make sure you have reservations as there is limited seating. Keiichi should be on every sushi/sashimi lovers bucket list!

• Visited October 2012
5 Thank TXGarfield
Crossroads, Texas, United States
“The best sushi is in Denton, TX at Keiichi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

A small, relatively unknown spot in Denton is the home of my (and many others') favorite sushi. While the outside appearance and the simple sign make it difficult to imagine, the interior provides a very welcoming atmosphere. The owner does all of this sushi with help only from a single server each night. Seating is limited to 10 at the sushi bar, with a couple of tables in the next room. Two seatings per night. Needless to say, reservations are an extremely good idea if you want a seat!
Keiichi only serves the freshest fish - whatever he gets that day, so the menu always changes, I really like all of the sushi, but especially love the unagi and the spicy tuna rolls. His unique salads are tasty treats and he will grind the fresh wasabi right there in front of you. Leave room for some of the best tiramisu ever. Did I mention that for non-sushi enthusiasts, Keiichi also makes an excellent lasagna (with tenderloin) and several other choices.
Can't wait to go back! Well worth the drive if you love sushi!

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Richard L
Denton, Texas
“Wow...wow. Best sushi in the whole of Texas.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Amazing genuine sushi unlike I have been able to get anywhere else in Texas. Fish is flown in fresh from Japan, the miso in incredible and the menu features traditional Italian dishes for those of your group who won't eat anything raw. The tiramisu is amazing...and I'm usually not a fan of it. The sashimi melts in your mouth and if you are a fan of squid- you simply must try his squid sashimi with lemon juice. Reservations are strongly recommended.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Kate N
Plano, Texas
“Sushi and More!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our first visit to Keiichi was this evening. We arrived at 5 pm for a 5:30 reservation. Rather than sit in a warm car, having driven 36 miles, we went inside. My very first impression, even before food or ambiance, was "antiseptic clean". You could just tell!
The Sushi Bar, where the action is, has 10 seats. To be assured a seat, have a reservation. There is a dining table off to the side, and another bar on the other side of the main sushi bar with 4 seats. The upholstered chairs at the main sushi bar are very, very comfortable.
Keiichi is a serious chef. We were there with another couple, who frequent the restaurant. So it was the 4 of us and Keiichi, along with his lovely assistant, who is conversant about the menu. She knows all about the sushi, sake, beer, wine, Italian offerings, and entrees other than Sushi. She had just printed off the menu for the day. There is something for everyone at Keiichi!
We started off with Tasmanian Sea Trout with Ginger and Japanese Mint and Citrus Soy. Keiichi described Sea Trout with me, and finally, when he said it's "Steelhead", I knew exactly what he was offering. It was beautiful, and he carefully plated about a dozen slices of Sea Trout in symmetrical fashion, garnishing with chiffonades of fresh Japanese Mint , then garnished with the citrus soy. Amazing! I savored the sight and enjoyed the sensational combination!
The other couple recommended the Baby Yellowtail Carpaccio with Jalapeno Garlic Soy. Tempting, I thought, but the jalapeno just said "hot" to me. Once again, a quick consult with Keiichi assured me I would not be set on fire! He presented the dish in short order. Fantastic!
We moved on to Beef Tataki. Keiichi presented a plate of the most tender beef, seared and very rare, so delicious! Garnished with fresh wilted spinach...perfection!
My husband enjoyed a Sashimi Plate, a medley of Tuna, Baby Yellowtail, Flounder, Salmon, and Sea Trout. The flounder, especially was irresistible. Very, very fresh fish, all of it!
My husband ordered Miso soup. It was a larger than average portion of Miso, with spinach generously in sync with the broth. It had a musky-smokey subtle flavor. He and I also shared a 2 piece Snow Crab portion of Sushi.
I ordered the only roll of the evening: Salmon Skin Roll. Of course, the order was placed after a delightful discussion with Keiichi about the skin. Was it cooked or not? Was the salmon smoked? (I like smoke but it doesn't like me). Of course, it is cooked and crispy. He carefully crafted the roll, and upon presentation, I noticed the skin still had some salmon (not smoked) attached. It was amazing! So crunchy and luscious!
We left at 6:55, just in time to beat the next seating, which, we were told, gets very busy.
We were definitely on track for Sushi this evening, but other offerings, which change daily, included Fresh Tomato Pasta, Kinoko (Mushroom, Cream and Cheese) Pasta, Rack of Lamb (6 chops, according to Keiichi, with a starch and vegetable), Beef Tenderloin Steak (which his assistant raved about at the end of our dinner), and Tuna Steak with Tomato Risotto. Dessert offerings included Tiramisu and Grapefruit Sorbet. Sorry, we had to pass on those this time!
We also discussed "rice" with Keiichi, as depicted in the movie: "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". Keiichi also pointed out that they use bottled water for table service and cooking. Keiichi had a portion of prepeared rice, stored at his work station, covered in cloth which he reluctantly lifted to afford me a quick peek, in a cedar container.
We became aware of Keiichi through The Guide in The Dallas Morning News a few weeks ago. I cut the review out and we made a reservation prior to our trek to Denton. Just be advised, there is no fried rice or tempura/bento boxes on the menu. You can expect a restaurant experience of the most excellent sushi in an atmosphere conducive to conversation. I was glad we had the restaurant to ourselves, pretty much, to enjoy the finer points of Sushi with Keiichi.
Keiichi has the highest standards of excellence for the food he prepares. This is not inexpensive, by any means, but in line with some higher priced restaurants you might find in Dallas. Don't be deterred by the exterior of the building. You forget about that once your foot is in the door!

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank northdallaswoman

Been to Keiichi? Share your experiences!