“Sushi and More!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Plano, Texas
“Sushi and More!”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our first visit to Keiichi was this evening. We arrived at 5 pm for a 5:30 reservation. Rather than sit in a warm car, having driven 36 miles, we went inside. My very first impression, even before food or ambiance, was "antiseptic clean". You could just tell!
The Sushi Bar, where the action is, has 10 seats. To be assured a seat, have a reservation. There is a dining table off to the side, and another bar on the other side of the main sushi bar with 4 seats. The upholstered chairs at the main sushi bar are very, very comfortable.
Keiichi is a serious chef. We were there with another couple, who frequent the restaurant. So it was the 4 of us and Keiichi, along with his lovely assistant, who is conversant about the menu. She knows all about the sushi, sake, beer, wine, Italian offerings, and entrees other than Sushi. She had just printed off the menu for the day. There is something for everyone at Keiichi!
We started off with Tasmanian Sea Trout with Ginger and Japanese Mint and Citrus Soy. Keiichi described Sea Trout with me, and finally, when he said it's "Steelhead", I knew exactly what he was offering. It was beautiful, and he carefully plated about a dozen slices of Sea Trout in symmetrical fashion, garnishing with chiffonades of fresh Japanese Mint , then garnished with the citrus soy. Amazing! I savored the sight and enjoyed the sensational combination!
The other couple recommended the Baby Yellowtail Carpaccio with Jalapeno Garlic Soy. Tempting, I thought, but the jalapeno just said "hot" to me. Once again, a quick consult with Keiichi assured me I would not be set on fire! He presented the dish in short order. Fantastic!
We moved on to Beef Tataki. Keiichi presented a plate of the most tender beef, seared and very rare, so delicious! Garnished with fresh wilted spinach...perfection!
My husband enjoyed a Sashimi Plate, a medley of Tuna, Baby Yellowtail, Flounder, Salmon, and Sea Trout. The flounder, especially was irresistible. Very, very fresh fish, all of it!
My husband ordered Miso soup. It was a larger than average portion of Miso, with spinach generously in sync with the broth. It had a musky-smokey subtle flavor. He and I also shared a 2 piece Snow Crab portion of Sushi.
I ordered the only roll of the evening: Salmon Skin Roll. Of course, the order was placed after a delightful discussion with Keiichi about the skin. Was it cooked or not? Was the salmon smoked? (I like smoke but it doesn't like me). Of course, it is cooked and crispy. He carefully crafted the roll, and upon presentation, I noticed the skin still had some salmon (not smoked) attached. It was amazing! So crunchy and luscious!
We left at 6:55, just in time to beat the next seating, which, we were told, gets very busy.
We were definitely on track for Sushi this evening, but other offerings, which change daily, included Fresh Tomato Pasta, Kinoko (Mushroom, Cream and Cheese) Pasta, Rack of Lamb (6 chops, according to Keiichi, with a starch and vegetable), Beef Tenderloin Steak (which his assistant raved about at the end of our dinner), and Tuna Steak with Tomato Risotto. Dessert offerings included Tiramisu and Grapefruit Sorbet. Sorry, we had to pass on those this time!
We also discussed "rice" with Keiichi, as depicted in the movie: "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". Keiichi also pointed out that they use bottled water for table service and cooking. Keiichi had a portion of prepeared rice, stored at his work station, covered in cloth which he reluctantly lifted to afford me a quick peek, in a cedar container.
We became aware of Keiichi through The Guide in The Dallas Morning News a few weeks ago. I cut the review out and we made a reservation prior to our trek to Denton. Just be advised, there is no fried rice or tempura/bento boxes on the menu. You can expect a restaurant experience of the most excellent sushi in an atmosphere conducive to conversation. I was glad we had the restaurant to ourselves, pretty much, to enjoy the finer points of Sushi with Keiichi.
Keiichi has the highest standards of excellence for the food he prepares. This is not inexpensive, by any means, but in line with some higher priced restaurants you might find in Dallas. Don't be deterred by the exterior of the building. You forget about that once your foot is in the door!

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank northdallaswoman

Dallas, Texas
“Good Sushi but Too Expensive for us Novices”
Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

We stopped in on a whim. We did not have reservations, but they seated us immediately. We were lucky I guess for a Saturday night, although there were empty seats ( 4 open) all night.

Sushi was good, but we are novice sushi eaters and still figuring out this whole sushi thing. The menu is unique with unusual sushi such as a tenderloin creamcheese jalapeno roll, and he also serves lamb chops, lasagna, and steaks. Tiramisu for desert. Service was very good, but the bar area only seats a few people and we didn't get any chance to interact with others. We did watch a cowboy with his big hat eat a steak and sushi while we were there. All hat and no cattle?

The place is a dump on the outside, and you would never guess it is restaurant. Inside is small, clean and cozy but not really a "dining experience", very little atmosphere. the sushi experts seem to really like the food, but it's not on the top of our must do restaurants.

Denton, Texas
“World Class Restaurant!!!!!”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Keiichi is truly a world class restaurant ... We have been eating here for special occasions and we create special occasions because we have loved eating here as often as possible since Keiichi opened this treasure in Denton. Keiichi is a master sushi, sashimi chef ... He is also an amazing chef creating new recipes as well. He uses traditional Japanese preparations and innovates magnificently fusing his experience as a master chef of Itaiian food with his knowledge of Japanese ingredients. There is not another place in this universe where you can luxuriate in top suschi along with choices of delicious pasta, salads, and meats, and end dinner with Keiichi's sublime Green Tea Tiramasu. Reservations are absolutely necessary! ... This is a small, beautifully designed and very very very lovely special place to celebrate life!!!

• Visited May 2012
4 Thank BubbieZay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh my gosh!”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The best sushi, bar none!!! Even against all the restaurants in Dallas!

1 Thank MikeAshleySmith
Denton, Texas
“Best sushi in Denton”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Great service, amazing dishes! Try the marinated beef in addition to the various sushi's. Reservations are a must, especially on a holiday.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank PUDTP

Been to Keiichi? Share your experiences!