“Tea Room on the Denton Square”
Review of The Chestnut Tree

The Chestnut Tree
Ranked #13 of 382 Restaurants in Denton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Tea Room on the Denton Square”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I would say the food is average ....the serving sizes are small ...I thought the menu is over priced..
The restaurant was not that clean.. Dinning room is very small..the sitting can be improved.. We where talking business, we to close to there diners to have private conversion .. Work to be done here ...

• Visited April 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Overpriced and No Flavor. Just don't go here.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I see some people have said "The chef" is great. What "Chef?" And the prices? I could eat in a better place for the same money. Heck - a chain restaurant would only charge me $21 for a super mouthwatering steak! To think my 1/2 chicken was $21? I could eat tastier food at Boston Market if I wanted a chicken dinner. There wasn't much to choose from on the menu. Most places will have a real steak on the menu everyday (strip, sirloin, rib-eye, something!). They offered a "skirt steak" meal. Really? That's like the cheapest cut of meat there is. We must have gone on the wrong day. I see that their internet dinner menu has a steak and baked potato. Prices are still too high. Atmosphere still not great. Owner not hospitable to us. Did not come check on us the whole time, probably because we used a travelzoo voucher. (Still overpriced at the travelzoo price!) That's why you market, to get new, repeat customers. We would have never gone here on our own. The food could be about 1/3 or 1/2 cheaper and they would still make a good profit from the food. How about a $15 or less chicken dinner?

Since they didn't offer a steak, and only offered one chicken meal when we went, that's what we chose. We didn't want to experiment with the (two or three) other menu choices, so we ended up with the broiled chicken with NO flavor whatsoever. I've had much better chicken from the grocery store rotsserie. The chicken was drowning in beet water and some "root vegetables" that were unidentifiable (and not tasty.) Everything was served in one big bowl/plate and it was hard to even try to eat the veggies with the chicken literally sitting on top of the "veggies." Can they offer a steak and potato everyday? Heck, instant potatoes with sour cream and chives would be better than what we were served. What were those vegetables? What about greens? How about some real veggies like broccoli or fresh green beans. The salad looked good, but I got the broccoli cheese soup that could have come from a can. They added a big undercooked piece of broccoli to the soup and it needed to be cut. We were one of the few tables they had seated in the whole place, and yet the owner didn't stop by to check on us. The art on the wall was for sale and each piece had a tacky business card on it. The ceiling was draped with cloth that is probably not even up to fire code. The seats and booths are uncomfortable too. It is suppopsed to be a "tea room" and wine restaurant. We weren't offered a sample of either one. I don't know how the place makes it, other than the fact it's one of the few choices downtown for late breakfast or lunch. I can't say enough bad things about this place, and I'm not that picky. I will hush now. Just trust me, don't eat there.

• Visited March 2013
Plano, Texas
“excellent pancakes and beer!?!?”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

ate here for lunch on a weekday. cafe style with delicious desserts on display. breakfast and lunch on same menu. friend had fruit crepe with potatos, and cleaned his plate. I had wheat pancakes with homemade blueberry syrup. waitress asked if I wanted something, like blueberries, in the cakes. "Heck yeah"! absolutely delicious. 2 huge pancakes with several big pats of butter. goodly amount of syrup. I added 2 eggs to make it "more healthy". so good. good French press coffee misnamed as "expresso". surprising good local draft beer selection. friendly service. would definitely go back.

Dallas, Texas
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was our first time at The Chestnut Tree, a lovely tea room style restaurant on the square in Denton. Our waiter was Zach--knowledgeable about the menu, and if he did not know the answer to something, made sure that he got the answer from the chef. He was very professional and yet so friendly and personable that he made our evening memorable. The menu was limited, however the food was EXCELLENT. Homemade soups that were terrific, main course of "surf and turf" was exceptional--a filet mignon cooked to perfection, accompanied by shrimp and a creamy crab sauce that was wonderful. My only comment was that the dessert of coconut cream pie was not up to the standard I expected based on the soup and main course. Good wine selection, some different labels and varietals that were not 'standard fare'.

Overall, will give this restaurant an Excellent rating and will definitely go back for more!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank KABQ
Denton, Texas
“Warms the Soul”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have known the owner of this tea room for nearly 30 years, and I just love the chef and restaurant staff--they make you feel like you are a beloved relative visiting in their home. When I have had a tough day at work, I will stop by there for lunch, sometimes all by myself, just to have that warm and cozy feeling that you get when you are nurtured with food and love at the home of dear aunt or grandmother. My favorites include "Happy Tea", the Lasagna soup,the Gazpacho, the spinach salad, and well, there are many others, some I may not have even yet tried. Valerie, thanks for giving us this Denton institution!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank camille m

Been to The Chestnut Tree? Share your experiences!