“Possibly one of the best dinners I have ever had!”

Hannah's off the Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Hannah's off the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 382 Restaurants in Denton
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Locust
Transit: DCTA stops directly in front of Hannah's Off the Square.
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I have heard of Hannah's ever since it opened, but the reviews were always mixed. Because of that, I have never eaten there. However, this year for our anniversary, my husband and I decided to give Hannah's a try. We booked a reservation on line, and stated that it was our anniversary. When we arrived at Hannah's the maitre 'd welcomed us at the door, and knew we were the couple celebrating our anniversary. We were seated at a very spacious booth in the back. Immediately, the waitress came and asked us if there was anything she could get us. Throughout the dinner, our waitress was right on hand to answer any questions we had and also to make suggestions. The service was excellent without being obtrusive. My husband ordered duck that came with mushroom and zucchini crepes; I had sea scallops with risotto. The food was outstanding.
I know that there have also been mixed reviews on this website. I think that if you are expecting something like what you would find at all those chain restaurants out on I-35 by the mall, then you will not enjoy Hannah's. The chef creates dishes with a complex blend of many flavors, all chosen to enhance each other. For example, my husband's duck was served with red grapes that had been roasted with balsamic vinegar. They were amazing and complemented all the flavors in the duck quite well. This is food that is created to be savored and appreciated. I know for a fact that some of my own relatives would not enjoy Hannah's because it's not a steak with a baked potato or chicken fried steak drenched in gravy. That's not to say these dishes aren't good, but you will not find that type of food at Hannah's. But if you are looking for fresh food with huge flavors presented in unique combinations, then Hannah's just might be what you are looking for. Hannah's is a little pricey compared to other Denton restaurants, but it's not that bad. We had a top notch dinner with several glasses of wine for less than $100. (And we got a complimentary slice of carrot cake since it was our anniversary!) I have lived in Denton County my entire life, and I know without a doubt that this was the best dinner I have ever eaten in Denton.

There are newer reviews for Hannah's off the Square

Reviewed July 23, 2009

We made reservations for 10 but ended up with 19. The manager quickly opened the private dining room and set up our table with a smille. We ordered a wide variety of entrees and everyone raved about their choices - mussells, duck, salmon, scallops, steaks and salads. I ordered a wine sampling (special on Wednesday for $12) and the server accurately described the wines and made recommendations according to my preferences. We were celebrating a birthday and one of our group brought cupcakes. The server offered to put them on a lovely tray so they could be passed around the table. When she came with our checks she brought each person an individual check so we were able to pay by families. Scale of 1-10 I'd rate our experience at 10!

Reviewed July 4, 2009

I've eaten at this restaurant many times--for pleasure and business--and the food has NEVER disappointed me! I've also found that Hannah's has the best service I've encountered in Denton. Denton is a funky college town w/ a common problem--really bad wait staff in most establishments. However, Hannah's has better-than-average wait staff and the service is usually prompt and unobtrusive. I love the freshness of the menu (which rotates) and the ambiance of the restaurant. If you're looking for a nice place to eat in Denton, Hannah's is for you! I esp. recommend their takes on steaks, salads (love the Wedge!), and their vegetarian offerings. I also love their cocktails!

Reviewed January 9, 2009

I've probably been here 4 or 5 times over the past year or two and NEVER been disappointed. The food is creative and delicious, the service attentive and the atmosphere upscale yet comfortable. It is pricey, but not for what you get. There are plenty of cheap eats in Denton, but if you want a nice, unique meal, this is the place.

Reviewed January 9, 2009

My Fiance went there for lunch and ordered a Medium rare Hamburger. He said the burger tasted good BUT later that evening he developed the worst case of food poisoning I have ever seen! I had to take him to the hospital... it was so bad. He was sick for 3 days without being able to eat much. It had to have come from Hannah's because that was the ONLY thing he'd eaten that day. WATCH OUT FOR THE BEEF!

1  Thank eagleopera