“Nice Place for a Birthday Dinner”

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 383 Restaurants in Denton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Picked up our daughter at UNT and celebrated my wife's birthday at Giuseppe's. The waiter was very attentive and the food was excellent. We had Pollo con Carciofi, Salmone alla Arrogosta and Lasagna. The dessert, Tiramisu, was enough for three and was quite awesome. We loved the quaint and quiet atmosphere.
I think the prices are reasonable for a nice place with great food, great service and nice atmosphere.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

They were very, very nice... but the Italian food was average at best.

2  Thank rocketTendon
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We love eating there. The food is excellent italian food and they make a creamy white alfredo sauce that is very good! It is reasonably priced and romantic as well. It is generally not open on Sundays but we ate there on Sunday becuase it was Valentine's weekend.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Because Denton doesn't have many choices for locally run Italian restaurants we have been to Giuseppe's about a half-dozen times. The best thing about it is that when dining in a cool, old Victorian house you forget you're in Denton, TX. The menu is Northern Italian-based, therefore, lot of cream type dishes. The food overall is well-prepared, the service is good, and menu prices are very fair. But, beware of Extreme Cream.

I find it strange that when offering standard Italian dishes like eggplant, chicken or veal parmigiana for example, the menu lists fettuccine Alfredo for the side pasta! What? Why is a heavy cream sauced pasta accompanying a marinara? I've never seen that in 50+ years enjoying the food of my family's heritage.

We've had several appetizers and on the latest visit we tried the Granchio. Advertised as prepared with a champagne cream sauce, the poor, tasty little stuffed mushrooms were just dominated by the heavy cream sauce. Their non-Alfredo or marinara sauce is a pesto but, again, even this is heavier than the traditional olive oil, basil, pine nuts, garlic and cheese that I know. It's lighter than the Alfredo, tasty in its own way, but must be a far Northern Italian version of pesto because it's pretty white.

If you really look over the whole menu you will find some choices that do make sense and taste good. My wife has enjoyed the Pasta Mediterraneo on two different occasions and we have also given thumbs up on their meatballs, eggplant parm, breaded sole, and Linguine Pescatore. Their small dinner salad is boosted by a flavorful house dressing. The bruschetta and shrimp scampi w/crostini are pretty good appetizer choices.

All in all, if you love cream sauces, Giuseppe's will not disappoint. If you enjoy a wider range of Italian fare they also have that--chicken, veal, seafood and pasta dishes. The menu is large enough to find something you would like. The portions and prices are reasonable.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

On a tip from the hotel staff, I tried Giuseppe's and I am so glad I did. The menu is small but delicious, with several salads, pasta dishes, veal and chicken, and then just the right number of desserts. I had the chicken with artichoke hearts, and it was perfect. There were capers, black olives and tomatoes and the flavors married in an ideal way. The accompanying pesto pasta was good, well-cooked, but a bit too strong on the basil for my taste. The chicken dish comes with a house salad, but get the small spinach salad - amazingly tasty, not just spinach and some dressing. Finally for dessert, I had cannolini and coffee - a delicious ending to a wonderful meal.

Been to Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant? Share your experiences!