“Great "Honky Tonk" in the Heart of Denton”

Rooster's Roadhouse
Ranked #4 of 379 Restaurants in Denton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Denton, Texas
“Great "Honky Tonk" in the Heart of Denton”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Denton's Industrial Street Neighborhood has become, on weekend nights, and on many weeknights, the second heart of Denton (shared with the Courthouse Square). Rooster's is so colorful and full of fun and whimsy in its decorations that its makes you feel better just by walking in. And the food is just about as much fun as the decorations--peanuts in a bin on the wall that you can put in your bucket and take to your table to shell while you wait on your food, salads such as the "Southern Comfort" and the "Double Wide," and desserts served in little Mason Jar glasses will give you an idea of just what an enjoyable place this is to visit.

Visited February 2013

St. Petersburg, FL
“Great Service and Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I saw a show on the Cooking Channel about fiery foods and they paid a visit to Rooster's to try their famous Hell Burger challenge. We were in Dallas to exhibit at a Fiery Food show and I decided I wanted to try their Hell Burgers so we drove the 30-35 minutes up to Denton.

Rooster's is very casual; peanut shells on the floor, silverware in a cup with a roll of paper towels on the table, with "shabby chic" road signs and decorations all over - but it all works beautifully and gives the place a great atmosphere. We sat down at a table and were greeted by someone immediately who was very friendly. We ordered our drinks, which came quickly. We talked about the menu and the Hell Burger. He explained the challenge rules and even though I can handle a ton of heat, I decided to just try one and see how it goes. My wife ordered a grilled chicken salad. The burgers are actually sliders that come with grilled onions and jalapenos - fantastic flavor. The sauce they put on to make it a Hell Burger is mostly ghost pepper and habanero. My thing about heat is while I do do very hot, there's not point unless it has flavor and this was tasted great! I ate the burger and while it was hot, I thought the guys on the show overreacted to it. The challenge at the time was 7 burgers in 14 minutes and while I thought about it, I was a little full from the beer and slider so I simply order one more Hell Burger, had a couple more beers and called it a day. the salad my wife ordered came out in a stainless steel bowl and was a very good portion. She's very finicky about her salads; most places drown it in dressing but she loved this one and said they did a great job.

Looking over the menu, they had the standard pub fare (burgers, sandwiches, etc) as well as a great selection of Texas BBQ. Based on the service, the atmosphere, the food, and the fact that I'd like to try the Hell Burger Challenge, I would definitely come back to Rooster's and I would highly recommend the drive if you in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. You won't be sorry.

• Visited January 2013
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

When this place first opened it was great. The food is still pretty good but the owners have allowed their success to go to their heads. I have personally seen the owner be none to friendly to multiple customers just because they chose a table that had six chairs and there was less than six in their group. Also my last visit gave me pause as to whether I would be coming back after I noticed the new fine print on the back of their menu stating "A gratuity may be added at our discretion" So if the wait staff doesnt think I tipped enough then they can just add what they want?

• Visited February 2013
Keller, Texas
“The Cuban is the "mayor of flavor town!"”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Went to this little place last Saturday night with our family, including two little ones, and grandparents. Went at grandma's suggestion. The atmosphere is fun and colorful on a weekend night, yet still fine for young kids. The decor is roadhouse and fun. Nothing fancy here. But if you are looking for a good sandwich or barbecue at a decent price, this place is great! I ordered the steak sand which, which was done really nicely with onions and mushrooms. I would order it again. The kids meals, which for our kids were chicken and Mac and cheese, we're actually pretty tasty and the chicken was unusually good for a kids meal. I also recommend the rooster tail onion bites. Really yummy. My husband, whom I had to laugh at, ordered the Cuban... He was shocked at how really good it was. He's pretty picky about his sandwiches. He called it the mayor of flavor town!! We will definitely go back.

Boyd, Texas
“Not Bad, Nothing Special”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The wife had the Fish sandwich and I had the pulled pork Cuban sandwich, both were okay, that’s about it for the food. Atmosphere is Texas redneck, the Long Star beer was good and cold, the wife had the Bloody Mary bar, where you mix it the way you like it and this was something new to us and a very good idea. Service was good, not super. Good place to try at least once.

• Visited January 2013