“really not good”

El Fenix Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #235 of 383 Restaurants in Denton
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We've tried this chain several times while we visited Denton and the Dallas area and the food seems over worked and over cooked

Reviewed December 3, 2011

The food was okay. Honestly, I've had better food at Taco Cabana. I'm a college student so every time I go out to eat, I try to eat food that doesn't taste like it's out of a can or fake and processed. Unfortunately, El Fenix didn't fit the bill for me! It did however have great customer service, was very friendly and refilled my drink and cleared my plates quickly. They also offer free chips and salsa which was nice, considering my 10 dollar plate didn't even have rice and beans!

Reviewed January 16, 2011

My husband and I went into El Fenix anticipating a lovely Saturday evening dining experience. Unfortunately we were greatly dissapointed. In all fairness, the ambiance and service of the restaurant were acceptable. The food, however was absolutely dreadfull! My husband's tamales looked and tasted like something out of a can, and my tostada, meat taco, and cheese enchilada were tastless and uninspired. The tostada and taco were served without any accompanying garnishment. I had to ASK for lettuce and tomato. The cheese enchilada was dry and the tomatilla sauce tasted strongly of vinegar. My husband's dinner was served without rice, and my meal had neither rice or beans. We have never eaten at a Mexican restaurant that did not offer the standard rice and beans. Needless to say, we will not be going back!

Reviewed August 18, 2010

This is the fist "Tex Mex" restaurant in the US.. They were established in 1918 before Texas became part of the union. They also invented the enchilada. They were featured on the food channel," The secret life of Tex Mex." The chips are incredible and the salsa is really yummy. You can know purchase their salsa in the store. I wish you could purchase the chips. Every time we visit Texas it is one of our stops.

Reviewed June 3, 2010

From the outside, the restaurant looks extremely unimpressive, except for the entrance. Once inside, however, it is very nicely decorated and pleasant. The food and margaritas were great, the service very good. I would certainly return and recommend to anyone who likes Mexican food.