“Too Smoky!”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Decatur
United States
“Too Smoky!”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Although we were in non smoking rooms on the third floor, there was a persistent odor of cigarette smoke in both of our rooms. When we brought this to the attention of the front desk staff we were told, very nonchalantly, 'Oh yeah, the fourth floor is smoking so the smell seeps down through the vents." We were not offered the opportunity to change to a different floor, although I doubt that would have helped matters much. We cancelled our plans to stay an additional night because of this and would not recommend this property. Allowing smoking in a facility that utilizes any type of shared ventilation system is akin to having a "peeing section" in a pool. FAIL!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Decatur for three days. The hotel is very clean, the beds are comfortable and they have a really good breakfast (excellent coffee) consisting of fresh fruits, yogurts, breads/pastrys, eggs, biscuits & gravy, bacon, milks, juices, etc. They have a small exercise room and internet business center. I used their laundry area and the washer & dryer were clean. The absolute best part is their outdoor swimming pool/jacuzzi that faces away from the highway. The pool deck overlooks a tranquil nature area. Early in the morning I would sit there w/my coffee and watch all of the birds(saw a red-tailed hawk one morning). As the day warmed you would see many beautiful butterflies and one afternoon I spotted a deer grazing. Very cool. I will stay at this hotel the next time I visit the area but rather than stay in a room on the front of the hotel (overlooking the parking lot) I will request a room on the back of the hotel at the end of the building near the pool (2nd floor). More info...plenty of local restaurants nearby and there is also a Walmart.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I spent the night at the Holiday Inn Express in Decatur Tx. Great property and very friendly staff.

My room was ready when I checked in and I was in my room within 5 minutes. The room was clean, bathroom was also. Nice firm bed which was so comfortable with lots of pillows.

Dispite being close to Highway 287, you can't hear a thing and I slept way late that morning. I missed breakfast but judging from the dishes outside peoples doors I take it that it's good.

All in all a great hotel for a night or even longer trip to the area.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Glenwood Springs, CO
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We stayed there 2 nights in March 2008. The room wasn't ready when we got there at 4 pm and for the 30 minutes we waited, I went in the exercise room and used the treadmill while my husband used the internet connection in the common breakfast area. We didn't get the room we requested ( facing away from the freeway) but all in all it wasn't as noisy as I expected. We did hear the trucks on the highway in the morning but it wasn't enough to be bothersome. I loved the breakfast and it had many choices - eggs, meat, cereal, sweet roll, waffles, multigrain bars and lots of fresh fruit. We did have an odd experience at the end of our stay. The person on duty knocked on our door at 11 am and asked if we were going to check out. We asked what time we could stay that didn't make them crazy and we agreed on 12:30. The time changed the night before so we'd slept in and really needed to exercise before moving on. I just thought it was odd that the young guy knocked on the door (especially when we had the do not disturb tag out) vs calling. But all in all, we'd stay there again in a room away from the highway. The shower was great and there were more pillows (6) than I have in my own home. The key wouldn't work in the exercise room so I had to keep going back to get it to work but again, all in all it was an ok stay. The staff was very friendly and would go out of their way to accomodate.

• Liked — Closeness to the families we were visiting. Breakfast choices, internet connection in the room
  • Disliked — Noise from the freeway, having to go back and re-key our key
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Longview, TX
Reviewed September 25, 2006

Very nice, very clean. Nice, friendly staff. Quiet location.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)