“Worst Hilton experience ever”
Review of Hilton Anatole

Hilton Anatole
Ranked #33 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Worst Hilton experience ever”
Reviewed August 11, 2006

I am a frequent traveller and former Hilton Diamond member so I've seen lots of their properties. This was about as bad an expereience as I have had in 20 years of travelling. This large, noisy, convention hotel could not get anything right during my stay. The free internet service in my room did not work but I somehow got charged $10/day for it anyway, the drain in the shower was clogged, and bathroom lights didn't work. Finding a concierge to get directions to a local restaurant was a major task and when I found him, he was too busy to help me so I ended up using his pc to locate the restaurant on the internet (at least his network connection worked), and printing the directions myself. The employees were pleasant enough to deal with when I talked to them but didn't seem to have a clue about customer service. The manager gave me a gift certificate for a free night's stay if/when I come back to Dallas. I think I'll give it away to someone I don't like much....

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank HPK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Korean first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Stayed here for two nights 1st & 2nd July. The hotel is large, and has plenty of facilities.

The only small snag was that after a 10 hour flight from the UK, there was a huge queue at check-in, (a blind convention). Asked concierge if there was an executive lounge that we could check-in - but apparently not - the hotel has only just been acquired from Wyndham.

Adjourned to one of the bars and after an hour and a couple or three martini's the of queue had all but gone.

Was upgraded to a junior suite - always a nice touch, room was in good condition with all usual Hilton amenities.

Restaurant - (24th floor?), is v.good, gym is excellent and the room rate was okay $110 per night.

• Liked — Overall service & amenities
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank Gurnip
Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton Anatole recently for an association meeting. It is an atrium-style hotel and quite lovely at first glance. Front desk staff was nice and helpful for check-in, but on a later day offered up the room number of one of my female colleagues, which is a major no-no in today's world. Of the two atriums, the one outside my room had some sort of unknown odor - I think it might have had something to do with the plants growing all along the overhang of each floor. The food (room service, restaurant and banquet food) was mediocre at best, but that might have had more to do with the person who planned the events.

The room itself was quite nice, clean and everything worked well. The bed & pillows were super comfy and I loved the clock radio - it had presets to "country", "jazz", "classical", etc. which made it easy to find a favorite station in an unfamiliar town.

The hotel's shopping is excellent and the prices are actually not too bad either. I wasn't crazy about the location which is a ways from the airport and the convention center, but it would be an excellent choice for a meeting held exclusively on-site.

I would recommend the hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank dezertprincess
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2006

As you're reading this, please keep in mind I'm writing this review from a business traveler perspective. Things that annoy me as a business traveler aren't necessarily the same things that I care about when on vacation. Let's see, where do I begin. I've stayed here twice for business. Once they put me in the executive tower; once in the atrium tower. Poor service at the front desk both times. Check out service was poor (I still haven't received my honors points for one stay; plus I had to call 3 times to get a copy of my bill). They don't put your bill under the door as they do in just about every other Hilton property I've stayed in. I travel a lot for work and always try to stay at a Hilton property. Because of my work travels, I have reached Hilton Diamond status. I don't expect special treatment because of my Diamond "status" but you'd think I'd at least get a friendly front desk clerk or a helpful attitude. I don't think anyone, regardless of their HHonors membership, gets decent service here. I had to ask for a pass to the executive lounge both times. One stay they gave me free internet access for being a HHonors member (without me asking for it); the next stay the front desk person argued with me that she's never heard of such a thing. The front desk guy didn't know where the exec lounge was located or what the hours were. Unfortunately, this is probably a beautiful property but I was so frustrated with my check-in BOTH TIMES that I failed to notice anything else. I thought for sure that my first experience was an isolated situation and gave the hotel a second chance, but I was wrong. One other thing (not the hotel's fault)....both times I was there, I needed a cab to downtown (not far, about 10-15 minute drive). Both times, the taxi drivers were annoyed to pick up a fare for such a short drive. Sorry if this review sounds overly negative, but as a business traveler, I won't stay here again. The Park Cities Hilton in Dallas has much better service and I will go back there again. Hilton recently purchased the Anatole so maybe they're just going through growing pains. I just didn't feel the usual Hilton service here. One positive note, the exec lounge had really good happy hour food and the guy that works there was very nice and attentive. They should put that guy on the front desk. :)

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2006

This hotel has large,open spaces inside. We never felt crowded. Service was fine, nd the room was nice, but there was only a small airconditioning vent and we could not get it to cool down properly. We were on the 18th floor, and the whole floor seemed stuffy.

We ate at Nana's, a five star restaurant. The food was presented beautifully,and was very good, though the staff was not very attentive and the music was piped in. The many shops inside the Atrium had a good selection.

I really hated paying $15 per day to park myself, or $24 for them to park you.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Lako
Denison, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2006

The hotel had nice grounds, and some nice art. What I had a problem with was the rooms had thin walls. I was given a room with connecting doors, when i went down and asked for an alternate room without connecting doors, I was told that 90 percent of the hotel had connecting doors. Well I think that only added to the noise problem. Our neighbor's phone rang and we could here his conversation, and the toilets flushing. I would not recommend this if you want a good nights sleep.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank NEWLKAT
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton Anatole May 4-7 of 2006. My experience while staying at this hotel was so bad, that I vow never to return to Dallas again.
First, the staff at the check-ins were quite rude and unaccommodating. I checked-in at the correct time (3:00), and was told they were out of rooms with two beds already. I was also told at this time, that they can guarantee you get a room, but not necessarily the room you booked. (and I'm a Hilton Honors member!) Not even a King sized bed, so you'd better be pretty chummy with your roommate.
I guess it's true that everything is bigger in Texas. This is a monstrously large hotel catering to conventions, where the staff acts like they are doing you a favor by just existing. It is so very large that walking from one end to the other is extremely tiring, especially if you are staying on one end and all of your meetings are closer to the other.
The pool my roommate tried was dirty and crowded. The food was OK.
But the worst part of the entire trip was that we had a room in the Towers, and this room had one window that looked onto a hallway! Needless to say, the room was very dark and depressing.
Never again!