“Nice Hotel. Good location”

The Westin Galleria Dallas
Ranked #8 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Nice Hotel. Good location”
Reviewed March 29, 2009

The Westin is not the nicest Westin I stayed at, but overall the were no major issues. The location is very good. There were lots of restaurants close by to say nothing of it being attached to a 3 story mall with ice rink. The only complaints were minor. The hallway on our floor smelled a little funky. Could not quite put my finger on it, but it did not penetrate into the room. The rooms were nice and and I think recently remodeled. They were good size and of course the Westin beds were comfortable. We stayed using Starwood points so we certainly had no complaints about the price. There is free parking in the Galleria parking garage. I would say it was 150 to 200 dollar a night hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
WGDCustomerService, Customer Service at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Dear raskinco,

Thank you for the positive reveiw of our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Galleria Dallas and hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Dallas.

Sara P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Korean first
Reviewed March 27, 2009

I stayed at the Westin the night of 3/26. This was a last minute trip, so I was not able to book weeks in advance. All of the online rates started at $199/night. I booked the room online via hotwire.com on 3/24. I selected a 4 star hotel in the Galleria area and this was the one that I ended up purchasing. Of course, I did not know the name of the hotel until I made the non-refundable purchase, but I was okay with any 4 star hotel in the Galleria area for one night. The rate that I paid was $69.00 plus Hotwire.com's fee of approx. $16, brining my total to $85.00. At $85.00 this was a GREAT choice, but I would not pay more than $125 (at most) a night for this hotel. The hotel was definitely nice, but not sure if it is worth $199 a night.

PRO: Comfy bed - Starwood properties tend to have SUPER EXTREME FIRM mattresses, but this one was ok
PRO: Clean
PRO: Great Location
PRO: Valet and Self Parking available
So-So: Noisy - I was on the 16th floor facing the North Dallas Tollway. I could hear lots of street noise. Not something that the hotel can control - so request an odd numbered room so that you will be on the other side.
CON: Only shower stalls in the bathroom, no bath tubs
CON: Did not like the “bare” look to the room. Felt kind of cold and empty.
CON: Fee for internet

I did not make use of the pool (not sure if it is even open) or room service, so I can not comment on those services.

I included a picture of the cabinets that contain a safe for your valuables, a stocked fridge ($$$), snacks ($$$), coffee maker, and dresser drawers.

I would stay at this Westin again, but only if the rate were below $125 a night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
WGDCustomerService, WGD Customer Service at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Dear TravelForWork2007,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We were delighted to hear that overall you had a wonderful stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed the Heavenly Bed (celebrating it's 10-year anniversary!), cleanliness, parking options and location.

As for your "cons", as part of our multi-million dollar renovation, we added new noise-resistant and energy-efficient glass windows to reduce sounds from the Tollway as much as possible. We do offer bathtubs in our queen-queen rooms so on your next visit, if that's an important amenity for you, be sure to request that room type. Also, our new design is clean & simple as to reduce clutter and provide a calming experience in the guestrooms.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to see you again in the near future!

Sara P.
missouri
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We stayed at the Westin Galleria over Valentine's weekend for my 5 year old daughter's birthday. The Westin Galleria is conveniently attached to the Dallas Galleria (shopping mall) which has an indoor skating rink and lots of places to eat and shop. Across from the front of the hotel, just through the parking lot, is the almighty and coveted American Girl Place...yes, the epicenter of many little girls dreams of overpriced historical doll characters with marketing that has been so successfully accomplished that even we own several of them. Since this review is of the Westin, however, I will stick to the hotel features. The front desk check- in was fabulous. Our room was on the tenth floor, with a large window seat that is 5 foot in length, it overlooked the highway system with cars and city lights. The noise level was zero-we were up high enough so there was no street noise. The kids LOVED that view. My son loved those cars. Even though our room was right near the elevator "lobby" of the 10th floor, there was no annoying "beeping" sound (I am very sensitive to noise). The room looked like it had just been updated. Modern lines, of course the two queen heavenly beds, granite bath counter, new shower/bath stall. Very clean and well done. There was lots of activity at the hotel this weekend (Valentine's)-the lounge and restaurant were hopping. The pool was under construction-we looked at it-it is on an outdoor patio on the roof of the fourth floor. A large rectangular shaped pool-suppose to be open "this spring". My son bout a Reeses peanut butter cup at the hotel store and he paid $3.00 for it (yikes). There are refrigerators in each room (stocked at a price). We also visited the Dallas children's museum and history museum at this visit-they are mediocre. We frequently stay at Westin hotels and this is definately one of the nicer ones. It was very well done, clean and modern lines, friendly staff, comfortable room, great view and location, I would stay here again. Reasonable price for a four star in Dallas.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
WGDCustomerService, Customer Service manager at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this review, March 11, 2009
Dear Welltraveled38,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed our time at the Westin Galleria Dallas and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay!

Reviewed February 24, 2009

My boyfriend and I booked a 1 night stay here on Valentines Day. We paid extra for the indulgence package which included champagne & strawberries, breakfast in-room or in restaurant and late check-out. Upon arrival I asked the front desk to send the champage/strawberries to our room in 30 minutes. 30 minutes later we had not received either so I called the front desk to check on the status of our request. The lady I spoke to said she would find out and call me back. She never called back but our order was delivered 15 minutes later (a bottle of champagne and only FOUR strawberries). We had just got there! They should have been on top of things. In the morning I ordered breakfast in the room at 9:30am. The lady who took my order said it would take an hour to recieve it. I was fine with that, but an hour later - no breakfast! I called the front desk again who then connected me with food services. Food services said it was on the way. 30 minutes later - still no breakfast. On the way, huh??? I called back, the lady who answered apologized but said it was going to be a little bit longer. So, I asked to speak with a manager. The manager told me that they were extremely busy and off schedule and that it would take another 30 minutes to get out breakfast or if we came doen to the restaurant we would be served right away. What is the point of IN-ROOM SERVICE then??? I told her that we wanted to eat in the room and that we would wait. She apologized. I asked her for a discount on the room (she didn't offer a discount) for all the frustration and inconveniences we had undergone. She gave us a credit, but we didn't get our breakfast until 2 HOURS LATER! Talk about horrible service! I will never go back there or recommend Westin Galleria.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tila2000
WGDCustomerService, Customer Service at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this review, March 11, 2009
Dear Tila2000,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay at the Westin Galleria Dallas. We do take all comments seriously and apologize for the issues you had with your indulgence package amenity and room service order. We have addressed the delay issues with the appropriate departments, so that we can be better prepared for the next extremely busy (special occasion) weekend. Please know that your experience in no way reflects the level of service we strive to provide every day to every guest.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for feedback which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I stayed at the Westin for about a week on business. I was very happy with the hotel. The rooms were comfortable, stylish, and spacious, the room service was good, and it had all the business amenities I needed. It was also convenient staying above a shopping mall. My only problem with the hotel was location - it's in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
WGDCustomerService, Customer Service Manager at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this review, March 11, 2009
Dear Randolph 314,

Thank you for for the positive review of our hotel. I reviewed your comments regarding our location. We are actually very centrally located in Dallas, perfectly situated between downtown, the aiport, and the expanding North Dallas areas. We are also accesible via two major thoroughfares (I-635 and the Dallas North Tollway).

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Galleria Dallas and hope to see you again very soon!

california
Reviewed January 7, 2009

My niece was married at the hotel and most of the out of town guests stayed at the Westin. From the late night welcome to weary travelers at the registration desk, to the bellhops, room service, hospitality room, etc. the experience was great. Rooms were huge, sunny, and beautifully furnished.

• Liked — The rooms were spacious-the staff was extremely helpful and friendly.
  • Disliked — Showers-not tubs in rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear glatstein,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Westin Galleria Dallas. It was nice to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special, and to ensure that you depart feeling renewed and better than when you arrived. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed December 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the recently revamped Westin Galleria on the 5th because the company Christmas party was being held near by. This was our penultimate stay in a Starwood property before achieving Platinum status so please bear in mind when reading this review that I am very familiar with Starwood, and Westin in particular.

We checked into our Preferred floor room and, as usual, my first impulse was to inspect the bathroom. I was dismayed to find, that though there was a very nice walk in shower, there was no bath tub. As a woman, and particularly when going to a dressy event, I like to soak in the tub with a glass of wine before getting ready.

We called and changed rooms (to one on a regular floor), but in the process found out that there are no King rooms with tubs and very few doubles with tubs. As the bellman explained, all the tubs had been removed as part of the renovation.

It is quite clear to me that no woman was involved in the redesign of the hotel and that the guest that is being catered to is a lone business MAN. Now, he may be the main client of this hotel, but we saw plenty of couples and families during our stay.

I have always appreciated the classic Westin look: pale cream walls, white linens, dark wood, delicately coloured pictures and a slightly Japanese feel. The furniture in this hotel looks like high end IKEA. Not that I mind the Scandanavian look, but this was too stark, sharp edged and minimalist. The carpet is charcoal coloured, the walls beige, the pictures black and white and the soft furnishings muted rust red and dark aqua. There is no colour accent (the most colourful thing in the room is the cheap TV remote control). The room is completely washed out sepia toned: tasteful, but extremely depressing and unwelcoming.

The bathrooms are small. Given the size of the rooms, they had ample space to work with to extend the bathrooms and include a walk in shower AND a tub. That shower was also designed by a man - it has room for a bench but doesn't have one. When will men get it that women need something to put their leg up on to shave?

Another clue that the room was designed with single occupancy in mind is the bathroom door. It is attractive to be sure. It is made from translucent glass. So, when you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night you flood the entire room with light and disturb your sleeping partner. Form over function.

The corridors and elevators are similarly decorated in washed out sepia tones. It looks like a suite of upmarket corporate suites, not a hotel.

I am worried that this is the direction that all Westins are moving in. A couple of weeks ago I stayed at the Westin Market Street in San Francisco which also had a dismal corporate look (although not quite as extreme as this).

We paid a special introductory internet rate of $99 so I cannot complain too much. If I was paying the regular rate which is about double, I would have been disappointed. If my husband had been by himself as the lone business man, he would have been find with it - although he said that more than a couple of nights would have got to him too.

I appreciate that this is mainly about aesthetics which is a very personal thing, and if the aesthetics of this hotel appeal to you (and lack of bath tub), then there are no problems.

• Liked — Convenient location - attached to Galleria Mall.
  • Disliked — Colour (or lack of) scheme of bedrooms.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple