“A better location than Downtown Dallas”

The Westin Galleria Dallas
Ranked #7 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersSilver level
brooklyn, nyc
“A better location than Downtown Dallas”
Reviewed November 5, 2008

When we drove up my first reaction was: oh oh. We are not in the middle of town. Truth is, Downtown Dallas is * ahem * a tad gritty. The Westin Galleria is in a commercial, but upscale area. I felt 100% safe. Downtown has a criminal court, probation center and other cheery municipal buildings. The Galleria is about 15-20 minutes North. My only gripes with the room are that the Heavenly Bed is too . . . "poofy." Lots of sheets and pillows. The A/C was a little hard to regulate (Room 921) but not a too-doo. Free coffee in the lobby. Con: gone well before 7 a.m. Nice gym. Fast elevators. Desk service: eh, but not insulting or mean. Just a bit daffy.

• Liked — The restaurant selection in the attached mall.
  • Disliked — Paying for internet.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Korean first
arkansas
Reviewed October 7, 2008

After a weekend trip to Dallas, and a stay at a downtown property, we ended up having to stay over an additional night and decided to head up to the Westin. We have stayed here dozens of times from the late 90's. Have not been here in a couple of years now(since their renovation in '07). In years past, the property was always clean, comfortable, and a reasonable value for its class. I now consider this hotel one of my least desirable choices if I were to need to stay in Dallas. Upon check-in, I casually mentioned about my spouse looking forward to a soak in the tub...the agent informed me that there are no longer bath tubs in ANY King bedded rooms in the Hotel...I am serious!!! We were on one of the frequent guest floors; the "new" carpet is in terrible shape; the "heavenly bed" sheets felt like sandpaper. I can't help but think Starwood has let this property go because of cost cutting measures. For $ 299 a night, I will have to take my business to a newer, comfortable property. Goodbye to an old friend with lots of good memories, but you will never see me again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — value for price paid
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rzrback62
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I have stayed at many Westin hotels and never had a problem before the Westin Dallas (Galleria).

Westin claims there is a refrigerator in EVERY room. They are only half right. All conventional refrigerators were replaced with "REFRESHMENT VENDING REFRIGERATORS." These are like refrigerators, but if you even touch any item inside then you will be charged (since it calculates by weight and automatically bills the room). There is a sign that informs you of this and says conventional refrigerators are available by calling room service. I called room service only to find out they were all being used (I doubt they even have any). The "GUEST SERVICES" attendant said "you can just use the vending refrigerator in your room, but be sure to call the front desk each time you move something so you won't get billed for it, since it's done by weight.

In short, THEY WANTED ME TO CALL THE FRONT DESK EACH TIME I TOOK A SIP OF MILK AND PUT IT BACK IN THE REFRIGERATOR.

Also, they charge $10 per day for internet and it didn't work half the time. I spoke to the front desk lady who said, "here is the 800 number for tech support, you will need to call them to report it being down." APPARENTLY, IT WAS MY JOB TO BE THE IN-HOUSE TECH SUPPORT GUY.

The hotel itself was under construction the whole time and had rude staff members.

Summary:

-RUDE STAFF

-EXPECT YOU TO REPORT EACH "WEIGHT CHANGE" IN THE FRIDGE

-CHARGE $10 PER DAY FOR INTERNET THAT DOESN'T WORK

-EXPECT YOU TO HELP THEM FIX THE BROKEN INTERNET

-OVERPRICED

Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank theboone
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I have stayed @ The Westin Dallas, Galleria several times)so, i'm very familair with this hotel). It's located off 635 & the Dallas North Tollway, with easy access to all Major interstates in DFW. The hotel is of course attached to the Galleria, with about 200 upscale stores (ie. Saks, Nordstrom, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc.) The front entrance, sky-suites & pool are still under renovation, but the rest of the property recently completed a total renewal prcoess, so the rooms, lobby, new restaurant ( the 2nd. floor) etc are all very modern, contemporary & very nice. My room, (1309) faced the tollway, but was not noisy. The view is better on the city side of the hotel. The beds are comfy, but the pillows are not good (they are super soft, which I don't like, but some love). The sink in the bathroom is very trendy with a Sliding frosted glass door to close off the bathroom. The 'heavenly' showers are amazing:) The room also has a nice window seat, ample desk area, huge flat screen t.v., mini-bar, coffee maker w/ starbucks etc. FYI ( The mini-bar in the room is Automatic, so if you even if you touch something without eatiing it, it will be posted to your folio). The front desk agent (Everett) told me the hotel is about to get postings to let the guests know about this in the room, but in my opinion, the hotel needs to have the front desk tell guests this before they check-in. However, any front desk agent will remove the charges from your bill automatically without any problems, as he did. Everett was also very charming, super efficient & a pleasure to talk to. The Concierge (Susan) is also fantastic at her job. I called the day before to have some Chocolate covered strawberries to be waiting in my room upon-arrival, as it was my moms birthday & when we arrived to our room, not only was everything in order, complete with a beautiful flower & personal note, but Susan came up to our room, checked on my mom & I, & offered us Chilled water---she was the highlight of our stay & was extremely kind, very polite & really a pleasure to chat with. Our room was a little hot, but the a/c worked fine once it was on for a little while (The rooms are really sunny, so when you leave the room, be sure to turn off the lights & pull down the shades to keep the room cooler). Overall, we love staying here for shopping when in Dallas & I will continue to stay here when my travels bring to to the Dallas area. Northpark Center in Dallas about 15 min from the hotel is also a great mall to visit. Hope this helps & safe travels---cheers:)

ps. when in Dallas, check out the following restaurants: ALL VERY GOOD!!:)

1. Uncle Julio's: Awesome Mexican (Keller Springs/Pkwy).
2. P.F. Chang's: Amazing Chinese (Dallas Pkwy/Northpark)
3. Mi Cocina: Good Mexican (Galleria, Ice Rink level)
4. Thristy's: GREAT Smoothies (Galleria, 3rd. floor.)

Patrick Mark Winkler
New York, N.Y.
10 August 2008

• Liked — flat screen t.v., bathroom, cleanliness
  • Disliked — pillows on the bed.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We travel to the Dallas area frequently but had never stayed at this particular hotel mainly because it was listed so far down on the list of favorites on this site. I'm so glad we tried it. I arrived after a 300 mile drive a bit after noon and the valet told me he was sure I would be able to go ahead and check in, but when questioned he admitted to me I would probably receive a better room if I could wait till a bit later to check in. He then directed me to where I could park and my daughter and I followed his advice and left to explore the American Girl store and Bistro for a couple of hours.

When we pulled back around to the valet the same extremely helpful employee greeted us and asked my daughter if she had enjoyed her experience at American Girl and cheerfully unloaded my car onto a bellman cart for me.

We were able to check in quickly and were given a room on the 17th floor. We opened the door to a very spacious two queen bedded room. The room also included a very nice window seat with a view that looked over the busy traffic of the tollway below. The room was very clean and tastefully decorated in a modern decor with a plasma TV and ample electrical outlets for cellphone chargers etc. The Heavenly bed Westin offers was indeed heavenly as always. The bathroom had a very unique door as it was a large sliding frosted glass door with a green tint to it in keeping with the modern furnishings.

We were "back to school shopping" and this hotel couldn't have been more perfect for our purpose since the Galleria Mall is literally a few steps from the elevator. We were able to make frequent trips back and forth to deposit heavy bags to our room with some stores even offering us assistance to deliver our bags to our room for us.

Although I did notice there was still construction taking place when I was in front of the hotel, I was never bothered with any kind of noise. I did not explore the pool area as I had read on their website that it was still undergoing work.

All of the staff at this hotel were all extremely pleasant and helpful to my 9 year old daughter and myself. We will more than likely reserve a room here next time we come to the city to shop.

• Liked — The updated rooms, cleanliness, and proximity to Galleria.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Bigmama2n1
Miami
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Stayed here for one night on business January 23rd. I had no idea (nor was informed) the hotel was under construction. After checking in around 10 PM, I sat down to rest in the 2nd floor lounge area. Shortly after sitting down, a crew of no less then 75 construction workers are filing up the escalator lugging all sorts of equipment and pieces of scaffolding which they proceed to set up in an area adjacent the second floor elevators. Are you kidding me? I am paying $269 for about 8 hours in my room, and I need to see this?

The pool is apparently under renovation, as are many spots in the interior, as well the front entrance. This should have been disclosed. Needless to say, I was not happy. To top it all off, the next morning, well before 7AM, I was awoken to the extremely loud noise of power equipment and concrete saws from the lower floors. How is this possibly acceptable?

Either you shut down the hotel until the repairs are completed, or you let the rooms go at $100 a night with the caveat that you will be on an active construction site. The rooms are beautiful, and this will have the potential to be a fine hotel. However, as a longtime Starwood member, I was not pleased with this stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Construction
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I always stay here for business and it is in a great location with great restaurants nearby. Connected to the hotel is a mall that has good places to have breakfast meetings and also for dinner and rinks. The hotel is going through some renovations which can give off a negative initial look but the rooms are very nice with a nice desk and flat panel TV. If going to Dallas and choosing between a Westin stay at this one rather then downtown.

• Liked — Location