“Great Hotel”

The Westin Galleria Dallas
Ranked #6 of 205 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I have stayed @ The Westin Dallas, Galleria several times)so, i'm very familair with this hotel). It's located off 635 & the Dallas North Tollway, with easy access to all Major interstates in DFW. The hotel is of course attached to the Galleria, with about 200 upscale stores (ie. Saks, Nordstrom, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc.) The front entrance, sky-suites & pool are still under renovation, but the rest of the property recently completed a total renewal prcoess, so the rooms, lobby, new restaurant ( the 2nd. floor) etc are all very modern, contemporary & very nice. My room, (1309) faced the tollway, but was not noisy. The view is better on the city side of the hotel. The beds are comfy, but the pillows are not good (they are super soft, which I don't like, but some love). The sink in the bathroom is very trendy with a Sliding frosted glass door to close off the bathroom. The 'heavenly' showers are amazing:) The room also has a nice window seat, ample desk area, huge flat screen t.v., mini-bar, coffee maker w/ starbucks etc. FYI ( The mini-bar in the room is Automatic, so if you even if you touch something without eatiing it, it will be posted to your folio). The front desk agent (Everett) told me the hotel is about to get postings to let the guests know about this in the room, but in my opinion, the hotel needs to have the front desk tell guests this before they check-in. However, any front desk agent will remove the charges from your bill automatically without any problems, as he did. Everett was also very charming, super efficient & a pleasure to talk to. The Concierge (Susan) is also fantastic at her job. I called the day before to have some Chocolate covered strawberries to be waiting in my room upon-arrival, as it was my moms birthday & when we arrived to our room, not only was everything in order, complete with a beautiful flower & personal note, but Susan came up to our room, checked on my mom & I, & offered us Chilled water---she was the highlight of our stay & was extremely kind, very polite & really a pleasure to chat with. Our room was a little hot, but the a/c worked fine once it was on for a little while (The rooms are really sunny, so when you leave the room, be sure to turn off the lights & pull down the shades to keep the room cooler). Overall, we love staying here for shopping when in Dallas & I will continue to stay here when my travels bring to to the Dallas area. Northpark Center in Dallas about 15 min from the hotel is also a great mall to visit. Hope this helps & safe travels---cheers:)

ps. when in Dallas, check out the following restaurants: ALL VERY GOOD!!:)

1. Uncle Julio's: Awesome Mexican (Keller Springs/Pkwy).
2. P.F. Chang's: Amazing Chinese (Dallas Pkwy/Northpark)
3. Mi Cocina: Good Mexican (Galleria, Ice Rink level)
4. Thristy's: GREAT Smoothies (Galleria, 3rd. floor.)

Patrick Mark Winkler
New York, N.Y.
10 August 2008

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Westin Galleria Dallas

Reviewed August 9, 2008

We travel to the Dallas area frequently but had never stayed at this particular hotel mainly because it was listed so far down on the list of favorites on this site. I'm so glad we tried it. I arrived after a 300 mile drive a bit after noon and the valet told me he was sure I would be able to go ahead and check in, but when questioned he admitted to me I would probably receive a better room if I could wait till a bit later to check in. He then directed me to where I could park and my daughter and I followed his advice and left to explore the American Girl store and Bistro for a couple of hours.

When we pulled back around to the valet the same extremely helpful employee greeted us and asked my daughter if she had enjoyed her experience at American Girl and cheerfully unloaded my car onto a bellman cart for me.

We were able to check in quickly and were given a room on the 17th floor. We opened the door to a very spacious two queen bedded room. The room also included a very nice window seat with a view that looked over the busy traffic of the tollway below. The room was very clean and tastefully decorated in a modern decor with a plasma TV and ample electrical outlets for cellphone chargers etc. The Heavenly bed Westin offers was indeed heavenly as always. The bathroom had a very unique door as it was a large sliding frosted glass door with a green tint to it in keeping with the modern furnishings.

We were "back to school shopping" and this hotel couldn't have been more perfect for our purpose since the Galleria Mall is literally a few steps from the elevator. We were able to make frequent trips back and forth to deposit heavy bags to our room with some stores even offering us assistance to deliver our bags to our room for us.

Although I did notice there was still construction taking place when I was in front of the hotel, I was never bothered with any kind of noise. I did not explore the pool area as I had read on their website that it was still undergoing work.

All of the staff at this hotel were all extremely pleasant and helpful to my 9 year old daughter and myself. We will more than likely reserve a room here next time we come to the city to shop.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Bigmama2n1
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Stayed here for one night on business January 23rd. I had no idea (nor was informed) the hotel was under construction. After checking in around 10 PM, I sat down to rest in the 2nd floor lounge area. Shortly after sitting down, a crew of no less then 75 construction workers are filing up the escalator lugging all sorts of equipment and pieces of scaffolding which they proceed to set up in an area adjacent the second floor elevators. Are you kidding me? I am paying $269 for about 8 hours in my room, and I need to see this?

The pool is apparently under renovation, as are many spots in the interior, as well the front entrance. This should have been disclosed. Needless to say, I was not happy. To top it all off, the next morning, well before 7AM, I was awoken to the extremely loud noise of power equipment and concrete saws from the lower floors. How is this possibly acceptable?

Either you shut down the hotel until the repairs are completed, or you let the rooms go at $100 a night with the caveat that you will be on an active construction site. The rooms are beautiful, and this will have the potential to be a fine hotel. However, as a longtime Starwood member, I was not pleased with this stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I always stay here for business and it is in a great location with great restaurants nearby. Connected to the hotel is a mall that has good places to have breakfast meetings and also for dinner and rinks. The hotel is going through some renovations which can give off a negative initial look but the rooms are very nice with a nice desk and flat panel TV. If going to Dallas and choosing between a Westin stay at this one rather then downtown.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I recently stayed at the Westin Galleria Dallas three nights for a conference and had a wonderful, stress-free stay. The hotel has undergone a major renovation, though many of its common rooms are still in the process of being renovated. Overall, the look is sleek and modern, and the hotel seamlessly fits into its location as part of the Galleria.

The front staff was excellent, and I had no problems checking in. In fact, after checking into my original room (10th floor), I requested the front desk to move me to a higher room (15th floor) facing away from the highway, and my needs were promptly met. The concierge was also fantastic and spent a lot of time helping me plan my free time away from the conference (Northpark Mall, Grapevine Mills, Dallas Arboretum, etc.)

The room itself was nothing less than what I expected from a Westin hotel: spacious, immaculate and comfortable with a modern finish (flat-screen TV, mini bar and safe all included). The bed was very comfortable, and I loved the double headed shower in the bathroom. The room was quiet, and I did not have any noise problems during my stay. I also enjoyed the small touches throughout the hotel. On each floor by the elevator, a bowl of fresh fruit and copies of the daily newspaper are available to take.

The Galleria mall is accessible from the 1st and 2nd floors of the hotel, and I loved the option of dropping my shopping bags off to my room when they got too heavy and then coming back down to continue shopping. While the Dallas Galleria is smaller than the one in Houston, it's still a nice place to go shopping and people watching, with a large ice rink in the center.

For dining options, the Oceanaire seafood restaurant is located on the first floor of the hotel, whereas other options such as Grand Lux Cafe are located within the Galleria mall proper. The location of the hotel is also fairly central - it took me 15-20 minutes to drive downtown and the same amount of time to drive to the DFW airport.

On the down side, the hotel charges a steep, daily fee for internet usage, and currently, there is no "hotel" restaurant where you can charge directly to your room.

Overall, the Westin Galleria Dallas is a great business/conference hotel and a good bet for those visitors wanting to do some serious shopping.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank worldtraveler786
Reviewed March 28, 2008

We have just returned from a 6 days stay . The hotel is under construction on the upper floors. Our first room was on the 14th floor . The first 2 days can´t sleep until the childrens staying exactly in the upper floor stay in calm (stop runing until 11pm ) , you can hear when the people are walking in the upper floor. The 4th day we have to ask for a change of room because our room have a door conecting to the next room and we can here all what the other people talk.

our new room was on the 16th floor with no conecting door but the noise of the construction on the upper floors begins at 8am.

I´m not a very picky person at all, and usually i can handle very well this situations (noise), but this is the worst hotel in "acoustic and noise reduction" that i ever stayed in his class.

The door at the bathroom is only a foged crystal without lock, if you like privacy at bathroom this is not for you.

The galleria is far better in houston, the galleria at dallas is half of the size of the galleria at houston and the prices are expensive.

The food at the Oceanaire was very good also the Grill at galleria and The grand lux cafe, if you like a good mall with better selection than galleria try the Northpark , and if you want the best prices at one of the best outlets in dallas try Grapevine.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alejandro R
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I stayed at the Westin Galleria for two nights for a business trip. The room and bathroom were very spacious, light and airy and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in at a hotel. I ordered room service one of the nights and although it was a bit pricey it was really good. The hotel is conveniently attached to the mall which is great if you are there to shop. The doormen and front desk staff were very nice and helpful. No problems getting taxis from the hotel. It does have an outdoor pool, but I didn't have time to use it. For being in a mall though I was surprised by the hotel's dinky gift shop...the only place to pick up a snack after the mall closes. Overall it was a nice place to stay and if I had more time in the area it would be a place to check out again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business