“Unheavenly Stay”

The Westin Galleria Dallas
Ranked #6 of 205 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Let me first say that I chose this hotel based on all the lovely reviews. Ultimately, I was disappointed with my stay. Check-in should have been my first clue.

Strike one. The hotel was busy, but not excessively so, and I drove up and waited for valet (which I was going to decline) & bell service (which I wanted). Not getting either, I went to check-in, only to be stopped and told to move my car since I was not using valet. My husband circled as I checked in.

Strike two. Check-in went slowly, although there were more employees than guests. More than once I was told to go to left for the guest elevator, which was to MY right. I was never offered bell service, nor courtesy water, nor an orientation to the hotel. The clerk gave me a key, literally said "Here."

Strike three. The room. Acceptable for one night at a Holiday Inn near an interstate. Gosh awful for a Westin. Lamp shades were stained. The carpet was coming up at the baseboards. The ottoman was damaged. The bathroom lacked ventilation and was hot & stuffy. The bedding set off my allergies. The clock radio went off at midnight. Ten dollars for 2-bar wireless. And the noise from the interstate was non-stop.

We intended to stay several days. We didn't. We checked out early & checked in elsewhere.

I don't recommend & I won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank suebhoney
westingalleria, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Hello SueBHoney,

As per our direct message, we truly want to hear more about your recent stay. These comments do not speak to even our minimum standards and look forward to rectifying them very soon.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Galleria Dallas

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have stayed here so many times, I guess I just take perfection for granted! I love the Westin and have been staying here for years, shopping, visiting friends, business, all roads lead to the Westin. When my children were younger my husband would take the boys to Arlington to ball games and Six Flags and they would drop me and the girls at the Westin for a long weekend of shopping and "girl fun". The rooms are clean and comfortable, the employees are always helpful and friendly, and there is never any noise keeping you up at night.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
westingalleria, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

Hello GC967,

It is fabulous to hear from such a loyal WGD guest! Wow, if you have been coming to us for this long, you have been by our side through some major transformations! We do hope you find your visits exceeding your expectations each and every time. Please let us know what we can do to ensure we continue to see you here at your Dallas home away from home.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

The best of the Westins. Really well cared for newer property, clean, contemporary design and good sized rooms, comfy beds, awesome showers, nice staff. Attached to Galleria so if you don't like OceanAire (wait, what?) in the hotel, then you can eat at Grand Lux (upscale Cheesecake Factory) or the sushi bar in the mall, both were good.
Hotel has an awesome rooftop/outdoor pool with cabanas for a quiet, late night swim.
The downside - not sure I could find one with the hotel overall. There's limited parking in front of hotel, can park free in lower level ramp, and there's no elevator back up so you should leave your luggage with the bellman on the way in or out.
Do I want to stay again? Yes, and I will, in fact I already booked it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Hello kjhMN,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of our hotel-Sounds like you have been making the most of your visits. We love Oceanaire, as well. And isn't that quaint sushi spot just perfect to satisfy that craving! We would love to make sure your next visit is even better, so please let us know what we can do to make sure you exceed your potential next time.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

I'll start off by saying that I always use a certain website, the one where you do not know the name before you book.... and got an extremely good deal on this room. We were just passing through Dallas and had a short but pleasant stay. Great beds, spotless room, double shower-heads. The hotel is attached to a fancy mall, so if you're in town to shop, this is your spot. The only reason I didn't give this an "Excellent" rating is they want $24 a night for parking....Please. You can park at the mall for free.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank jmcfarland76
westingalleria, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Hello jmcfarland76,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a generous review. We are glad you were able to enjoy your visit and we met your expectations.

We hope to see you again!

Regards,

Reviewed June 2, 2011

From check in to the room I loved The Westin Galleria. I could not fault this wonderful hotel. The rooms are beautiful I slept like a log. The location is hard to beat in the shopping mall. Only downer is I stayed one night should have stayed longer. Highly recommend it

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Hello kodySydney,

Wow, what a great review from such a world traveler! We are delighted that your stay was a delightful one. Were you able to fly Quantas to DFW? We are watching that new partnerership very closely and have seen a great influx of visitors from Australia (I cant tell, but it looks like you may reside/visit there often?) Can't wait to catch up next time you visit and can stay longer at WGD.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

We always stay at Westins when we have a choice. The Dallas Westin Galleria never dissappoints. It is a great stay. I booked the room on a third party website and reserved 2 queen beds. Upon arrival the reception said that there were not any of that type room available. I told him that it was what I had booked and he said those were only "preferences" on third party sights. I told him I knew the difference and that this was not what I booked. He asked to see my confirmation. I showed it to him and he made a way to honor my booking. The beds are the most comfortable stay although I do not prefer the sliding glass door on the bathroom. It has no lock therefore when it accidently slides open it can be quite awkward for a son-in -law when sharing a room with your mother-in-law. Unlike the other Westins we have stayed in this year, the a/c seemed to work very good and keep the room cool. The location of the hotel was excellent. Being connected to the galleria is great for having an infant. When my husband or myself need a little extra sleep in the morning, the other one of us had a great place to take the baby on a walk. The restaurants in the area are great. We love the Westin Galleria.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
westingalleria, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

Hello lujacque,

Thank you so much for your very generous rating. We are disspaointed that you had trouble checking in,as we strive for the check in experience to be as smooth as possible. Glad to see it worked out for your stay to be an enjoyable one.

Thanks again!

Reviewed May 19, 2011

Do you know what makes a terrific hotel? it is the people like the front office managers at this Westin Galleria. I always stay at Marriots because of our platinum status and are almost there with Hyatt and Hilton but this location worked out best for us so we are at a Westin. I came in late last night to a nice room that just wasn't right for us because of some specific needs. Sold out so couldn't change the room but the night front office manager Maria (don't know last name) promised it would be taken care of in the morning. I have heard that before many times since I stay in hotels about 150-200 nights a year. Next morning, the front office manager Michael Truax already knew about our concerns, worked on getting us the room we needed, and really took care of us with a super yes attitude. He is the kind of hotel manager we need more of.

Oh yes, the hotel is really nice too, rooms, attached to mall, workout, pool, all superb. we have all been in great hotels and had lousy personal experiences. Not here, these folks know how to treat their guests with people like Maria and Michael. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
westingalleria, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Galleria Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

Hello dryowza,

We are delighted to read your energetic review of our hotel. We agree, our staff is topnotch. Some of our associates have been working here since we opened, 27+ years ago. And it is fabulous guest's like you that keep them energized and rejuvenated to make sure the next experience is better than the last.

We have reached out to Michael and Maria to make sure they know how grateful we are that they are striving to make sure each and every guest leaves better than when they arrived.

Thanks again,