“Classy hotel”

Ranked #14 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Slidell, Louisiana
“Classy hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business several nights. Room is large with luxury amenities appealing to women: heavy Turkish robes, slippers (amazingly just my size!), dressing table and stool with magnifying mirror, full length mirror inside closet door which provides rear view while seated at dressing table with door open. Two comfy side chairs with an ottoman, lamp and side table perfect for reading while enjoying a nearby beverage. Hotel's Library Bar has a great ambience, nightly piano entertainment and delicious reasonably priced food. Car service is also provided to nearby vicinity. With this much luxury, not surprising that bottled water is $7, limited cable channels, and no complimentary breakfast though coffee is available in lobby. Many varied restaurants nearby and also a Walgreen's all in walking distance. Guest Services was very responsive and provided a wine opener for the $5 bottle I bought at a local Target! No refrigerator but ice bucket made a perfect wine bucket!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Close to all Dallas attractions with a feeling of history brought forward to 2013. From the moment we were greeted by the valet, the weekend never faltered. Great service all around. And genuine, too.

We booked a suite and were delighted with the layout - almost like a small apartment and on the corner with views in two directions. Quiet with comfortable furniture and the hottest hotel shower water I think I have ever encountered - and plentiful, too! The suite had two separate heat/ac units which was also a plus.

A gathering spot for guests and locals at the hotel's bar, The Library, with nightly music, great drinks and nicely urban/upscale.

We'll choose the Melrose again for our next Dallas visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors to avoid the Oak Lawn traffic sounds and corner rooms with extra windows are a plus.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgiaToast
Leigh on Sea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

First point is this hotel is under a flight path which produces a relentless drone of aircraft. The reception staff could not find our booking for the first 10 minutes and then all of a sudden found it, not once did they apologise for thier error. We then had to struggle with our cases to the room. First impressions count and this was a disaster. We used the bar which was nice, the wait staff and bartenders were very friendly and all in all it was a comfortable experience. The reception experience got worse when there appeared a number of charges for wifi on our bill, we were told on check in that this service was free in the room, it appears not! It is free in the lobby. The receptionist told us that we must of misunderstood, after our insistence we had not they removed the charge. All in all this was a poor experience let down by ill-trained reception staff.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank SarahMay78
LarryRMc, General Manager at Warwick Melrose Hotel Dallas, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
All of us at the Warwick Melrose Hotel strive to provide an enjoyable and relaxing experience and we were disapointed to learn that you encountered many shortcomings during your stay. This is certainly not the type of service upon which we base our reputation, and I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration these problems may have caused you. I have discussed your review with our Guest Service Manager to address the issues you note in an effort to prevent them from happening again. We appreciate your business, and hope you will cosider us again when traveling to Dallas.
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Geat hotel with an interesting history! We stayed in early January 2013. We had two rooms; a 2 queen standard room and a deluxe suite. The suite was marvelous! Gorgeous decor, abundant space and wonderful view/location. Missing one star because of a billing error (which was rectified some time later with my persistance) and do to the the location of the standard room - it had no windows! Well, it did have windows. However, the windows looked out to a patio area which is completely enclosed. Making the guest room appear quite small and desperately dark! Dungeon like really....decor was perfect, room was squeaky clean but dark and drab do to the "lack of windows."

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Amarillo, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I write reviews here a lot, so I am happy to reccomend the Melrose Hotel.

I was in town this weekend with my son and stepmom to visit the SMU campus. The check in process was easy and efficent. My neice works there but she was not there when we arrived. We were treated as well as we would have been, if she had been present. Brooke and the other young lady were very professional.
And Leon, our bellman, went out of his way to be helpful, bringing ice to our room, and even offering to go and get us anything we needed at the Walgreen's across the street. There is also a shuttle service to take you where you need to go. Be sure to call early, though because they can get pretty busy at times!

Our rooms were very elegant, quiet, spacious, and had some ameneites not found in places I would normally stay. I loved the nice white robes and writing pens and stationery I found in the room. The vanity with a lighted make up mirror was an extra that I really enjoyed using when getting ready the next day. The beds were very comfortable too, as expected and the linens are top quality.
Thank you so much for the classy surroundings and top notch service! I will stay again.

Room Tip: I like a higher floor, which I didn't request, but we were given. I am not sure it matters thoug...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Irish4love
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The understated elegance, the friendly employees providing a high level of service and the top rate entertainment in The Library (a bar to beat all bars) make The Warwick our go-to in Dallas. The price point for parents in town for the weekend wanting to spend time with their children is more than fair and allows a greater budget for Dallas' diverse and wonderful restaurants, including The Landmark.
Our fourth visit this past weekend was consistent and fantastic. The convenience of Walgreen's, Starbucks, Lucky's Cafe for breakfast and the Turtle Creek walking paths—located all within walking distance — is a huge plus —and the drive to SMU is beautiful, winding through Highland Park and University Park.
My husband will be back in April without me. I'm already jealous!

Room Tip: I am fond of the rooms that overlook the Oak Lawn entrance. We always stay in an "11" room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maribeth
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Warwick for an anniversary weekend. We couldn't be more pleased with our choice.
Hotel - The lobby area is very elegant and grand. There is the bar/lounge room that is also located in the lobby. Check in was simple and fast while the staff was very friendly and helpful. There was even hot chocolate in the lobby for the guests to enjoy.
Room - When making reservations, I was told we would be placed on the top floor with a great front view of downtown. And that's just what we got! The room (classic king) was just beautiful. It's also pretty large for a basic room. It has a large comfy bed, nice big tv, elegant decor, and large windows. The bathroom was also very bright and nice. A large shower, fancy soaps, and shutters that you can open add a elegant touch. I was also impressed with how clean the rooms and hotel was.
Service - We were brought chocolate dipped strawberries, a bottle of champagne, and card for our anniversary. It was a really nice surprise they did for us. The overall service of the staff was great. The only option for parking is valet, at a cost of $25 per night (plus a customary tip of $2 every time they bring you your car). Although the valet guys are quick, it would be easy just park our car ourselves free of charge since where they retrieve the cars is just behind the hotel.
Location - The location was great for us. In an area of Dallas called Oak Park, there are plenty of restaurants and attractions nearby. It was a really nice area to be in. All the little extra touches they did made the experience that much nicer. I would recommend this hotel for a special occasion or a weekend getaway with a loved one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple