“Very Nice Alternative Located in the Outskirts of Dallas”

Warwick Melrose Hotel Dallas
Ranked #14 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Los Angeles, California
“Very Nice Alternative Located in the Outskirts of Dallas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I spent three nights at the Warwick Dallas Hotel last week, and was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located on the outskirts of downtown, smack dab in the middle of the “gayborhood”. The hotel is old in an elegant and not tired way. I had a king bedded corner room, which was quite large. It was a bit dark, but mostly because the heat outdoors was so severe that the curtains were left closed most of the time to keep things cool. The bed was extremely comfortable, and bathroom, while somewhat dated, was clean.

Check-in was fairly uneventful, and while the agent was not particularly friendly, she wasn’t discourteous either. The hotel has valet parking which, for the area, seems overpriced. However, it was more economical for me to take a taxi to and from the airport @ 50.00 each way when staying four days, rather than pay for the rental car and parking. The hotel does offer free transportation within a 3 mile radius of the property, but I chose to walk. There is also ample street parking literally right behind the hotel on the side streets.

After I checked in, II found all of the employees to be very friendly and helpful. The property does not have a swimming pool, which during my hot summer stay was missed, but this is certainly not a deal breaker. There is a health club diagonally across the street, also with no pool, but is available for a modest charge to hotel guests. ($10.00) The front desk actually gave me a card for one day free admission when I asked for directions.

The bar is quite nice, and has entertainment performing most nights. I had breakfast in the dining room twice, and it seems to be comparable or perhaps a bit less expensive than other big city hotels. Coffee was available for free in the lobby, or for $4.00 in the restaurant. The service was good and prompt.

There are Sushi, Mexican and Italian food restaurants ½ a block away, and many clubs and bars on the side street if that is your fancy. The neighborhood appeared to be safe, though far from the downtown activities. The hotel is very close to the Mansion at Turtle Creek, which makes it a very economical alternative to staying at that high end property.

My one negative about the hotel was that they failed to provide me with my requested wake up call, and when I inquired, I was advised that “my room number was crossed off”. Well, that is fine, but nobody called my room to wake me up. Fortunately, it was not disastrous.

Room Tip: The extra space of a corner king room was worth it. Reserve a package that includes internet and 1...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mdbgoldfamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I wanted a night away, so we spent a night in this hotel. The staff is very friendly and went out of their way to treat us as valued guests- from the front desk to the valet staff to the bell-hops. The room was beautiful, clean, and had an extremely soft and comfortable bed. The view from our window was a perfect picture of downtown Dallas. I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling or to people who just want to have a night away from home, like us. Great location, too!

2 Thank ActLikeThis
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

What I wish all hotels were but next to none are: classic, pristine, lovely, thoughtful, service-oriented and yet affordable. We took Amtrak from San Antonio to Dallas (treat for husband's birthday but the hotel never knew that) just to sleep the night in Dallas and come back on the train the next day, got a cheap train sleeper because in train time it’s a nine-hour or longer trip.

Booked this hotel because Google farce map showed it near Union Station but we quickly realized hotel was not anywhere near, stopped at MacDonald's (Griffin and Commerce) and called hotel, husband spoke with Leon who did not make us feel stupid, apologized and said the proximity mistake had been made by a previous guest, said he would pick us up in 10-12 minutes which he did. Riding to hotel he was professional but cordial and helpful with Dallas questions we had. (Chad drove us back to the station the next day, and he was exactly the same.)

Got there and hotel was gorgeous and stately but not intimidating, just timelessly beautiful with a welcoming look and lush ageless landscaping. Inside, grand yet understated elegance, nothing trendy, all clean and orderly. We saw some "beautiful" people pass through (model and athlete? celebs? just plain old rich, pretty folks?) but we also saw couples more like us checking in just ahead of us. Smiling young woman at the desk — super-efficient, warm, poised, friendly — checked them in swiftly and then us just as fast; one minute after we stepped up, we had keys and were headed to the elevator.

We opened the door to our fifth-floor room which was immaculate (kudos, housekeeping), beautiful, roomy but not overwrought (dislike B&B frou-frou), like-new, exquisite low-pile but plush carpet, a vast city view out a wall of large antique windows with the top of a very old and lovely pecan tree just outside, glass doorknobs, nice big flatscreen TV, pretty muted gold and pewter décor throughout including same scheme in drapes and shower curtain but in graphic-designed floral print, and every need furnished: coffee, tea, the iPod docking station tuned to soft classical music, plush robes in a real closet with wood hangers (not with the tiny hook tops), luxe bedding with plenty of pillows, a large pretty desk with two chairs, a comfy stuffed chair with footstool, glasses, cups, even wine glasses. Most old hotels you have to overlook their age but not this place. Not a mar on it anywhere. And nice subtle touches everywhere.

The bathroom was five times the size of a standard hotel bathroom and had a real soft cotton bath rug along with many huge fat towels and a full complement of toiletries. The tub was a bit bigger than normal and I wished I had bubble bath and lo and behold, saw there was a little bottle of foaming gel. Wow.

The minibar had no key so called down and the young lady at desk herself brought up the key. Minibar prices high but not over the moon ($7.50 for a one-serving bottle of wine, not bad).

Being tired and having no car with us, we wanted room service and were shocked to see a huge array of menu offerings, everything from the fancy and eclectic to grilled cheese, little of it expensive, and much of it available 24/7. We ordered a glass of good pinot noir, a tomato bisque w/ fresh cornbread, a shrimp cocktail w/ avocado, and a big plate of flat bread with figs, prosciutto and goat cheese. Even with the fairly standard room service charge and gratuity on the ticket, total was only $51. We loved the food, though shrimp cocktail the least, tiny shrimp in bowl of something like gazpacho and I’m not a fan of gazpacho. We ate at the big desk looking at rain out windows, rain such a welcome sight in droughty Texas and those windows did it justice.

I should say the person who brought room service was person I ordered from over phone and he was so courtly and sweet in all our dealings, and he had put a tiny fragrant bouquet of tiger lilies in tiny vase on tray. I put them in a wine glass where they brightened the room the rest of our short stay before wrapping them in wet tissues to take with me the next day, ended up giving them to the Amtrak lady who then spent nearly the whole day listening to everyone complain about the train being four hours late so the flowers did double duty giving comfort and pleasure.

By the way, a little note on the room service tray said to put it outside and call down and they would come get it and they did, right away! So you never have to look at the dregs of anyone’s meal as you go down the hall, nice.

A few things to know: we are semi-retired, of necessity very budget-minded and fairly humble in appearance. But though we booked online under the military rate of $113, we felt treated as graciously as if we were millionaires. We were also impressed they have such a generous military rate, so many hotels don’t and make no apologies. Just know, though, that our room would be well-worth twice what we paid and then some.

The hotel made our first visit to Dallas in five years memorable. We had sworn off Dallas because last time we were there we were unfairly and I am sure illegally towed and the whole ordeal cost us $200 plus the trauma of having to retrieve our vehicle late night from way outside of town at a tow yard with bullet holes in its front. That time, we came back to our hotel, checked out in the middle of the night, and tore up our expensive Stars tickets (we had been coming to Dallas for years to see indie films and hockey). So Dallas Tourism owes this place as the epitome of good PR for the city.

We learned from the very friendly man at the desk when we checked out that in general everyone working at the hotel has been there forever. Well there you go, treat good employees right, they stay and they treat guests right. Pay attention, hotel owners.
We did not visit the bar, supposed to be legendary for its live music and its cocktails. Next time.

Room Tip: When I made my reservation online there was a box in case you wanted to request anything and I just...
2 Thank papertravel
Maurertown, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We found the Warwick Melrose Hotel by searching for something reasonably priced near our son's apartment in Dallas. When we first drove up and saw that it was clearly a historical property, we were concerned that it might seem old or shabby. Not at all! From the beautiful and gracious lobby, the tastefully decorated hallways, to our spacious and comfortable room, we felt as though we had stepped back in time to an era where style, elegance, and service were the expected features of an upscale resort.

Accessories, fixtures, and conveniences were a fascinating blend of modern and classic. In the lobby, for instance, next to a touch-screen information display, there was an old-fashioned phone with a traditional dial. The bar off the library is a wonderfully warm and intimate space that seems right for a couple in tuxedo and ballgown as well as a high class cowboy ending a night on the town. The dining room is equally elegant and classy. The bathroom accessories are retro, yet clearly new and impeccably clean.

The staff was courteous, informed, and helpful in every way, including help with things we wanted to visit in Dallas and providing us with maps and transportation options. A Walgreen's across one street and an Office Depot across another provided some convenient shopping.

The one thing you need to know is that while room prices are surprisingly reasonable (our king bed with chaise lounge, desk and two desk chairs was under $100 with AAA,), the only parking option besides street parking is their valet parking which is $24 a day. The restaurant prices are resort level, but the service and food we experienced was first class. I would have felt better about paying $125 for the room and had parking included, because the room was worth every bit of that or more. We have paid twice that much for rooms no more elegant at both the Homestead and the Greenbriar resorts.

We will definitely be staying here on future trips to Dallas, and my advice is to know ahead of time that some aspects are expensive but you'll feel totally rested and pampered at the end of your stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a "standard" room and were very comfortable, with room to spread out. There a...
1 Thank RiverwoodWriter
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I were at the Warwick Melrose this weekend, July 13th and July 14th, 2012 for the wedding of my nephew. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. The rooms were well-appointed with high quality sheets, large screen tv and an especially large bathroom. The blackout curtains certainly helped after dancing the night away at the wedding. Everything was perfect - the wedding, the reception, the staff, the Library lounge, the restaurants - in short everything. The rates are extremely reasonable - I highly recommend the Warwick Melrose for a weekend getaway or a longer visit. It is simply A+.

Room Tip: We asked for the quietest room and were given a room on the top floor - quieter than mice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank happytraveler5608
Ardmore, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel was very nice. Pillows were out of this world and there was a ceiling fan! We went to see Jersey Boys (you should go) and afterwards went to the bar in the hotel. It was a small room and there was a piano player, a trumpet player, and a singer. The trumpet was much too loud to even be able to speak to my companions but it gave us something to snicker about.

If you stay here, be sure and request a room away from the busy street that the hotel faces so maybe you won't hear sirens until 2:00 a.m.!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy street side. You might not have as good of a view but you also wo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here on a 24 hour stopover in Dallas. The staff were very friendly (particularly Mallory on the front desk) and the hotel is beautiful. we also got great rates - they gave us public servant rates as we were Australian public servants. A real bonus is that there is a courtesy shuttle that will take you anywhere within 3 miles. This covered everywhere we wanted to go (apart from the airport of course). Highly recommended.