“Hotel Closed Public Areas for Party”

Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek
Ranked #9 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Paid top dollar for room and found out the public areas of hotel were closed because of a private party. Should have told us at booking. We travel the world and stay at many 5 star hotels. I would strongly discourage anyone from staying at this place unless the hotel provides full disclosure. My self I will never stay here again and will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank ScottsdaleBilly
RosewoodDallas, General Manager at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear ScottdaleBilly:

Thank you for your comments. For the past eight years the hotel has been a partner with TACA (The Arts Community Alliance) of Dallas and plays host to one of their largest fundraisers of the year, “TACA - Party on the Green.” In 2014, TACA will award over $1.4 million to local performing arts organizations and we are honored to play a part. It is the one time that the hotel closes the main entrance of the hotel and diverts arriving guests through an alternate entrance.

We make every attempt to contact all guests prior to arrival to inform them of the event. I am disappointed we were unable to reach you in advance of your arrival and hope you will accept my apologies for the inconvenience we caused. We hope to welcome you back to the Mansion someday. Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of service in any way.

Respectfully,

Reviewed May 9, 2014

This was my second stay at the Mansion (for business) and it was a bit daunting. I booked an Executive Suite, which was the most confortable of the three rooms I stayed in during my three day stay (you’ll have to read on). Old buildings have issues and this one had problems with water, meaning there wasn’t any in each of the rooms over my stay. When the water went down in the Executive Suite, I moved to a Terrance Suite, but no water there either as I discovered as I was ready to shower. The next move was to a Master Suite, which is where I completed my stay, but it too had the water turned off for several hours one day. Having now been in all of them and sleeping in two, I would recommend the Executive Suites as the most comfortable (unless you need to entertain 20 of your closest friends.) Had it had water, it would have been quite nice.

A large group dined in the restaurant, and I did not have the outstanding culinary experience so many talk of – perhaps it was because it was a Monday night. The rigid nature of the menu (you are told all in your party have to order a particular menu style – no exceptions) makes you feel as if you were scolded instead of taken care of. Room service was attentive and prompt.

The pool deck is pleasant enough but it lacked routine care (you had to clean off your own lounge) and just like the Crescent, outside service is virtually non-existent, making it less than relaxing.

The Hotel management was certainly challenged with the water issue and possibly that is why other things were overlooked. And, I had to do too much work to trundle about between rooms while on a tight schedule. Travel at a property like the Mansion is supposed to be about the absence of problems, and if they unfortunately occur, management’s response is important – do you have to fight or do they offer to take care of you?

The answer is a bit of both, but importantly, when I filled out the online survey and expressed disappointment with my stay, the manager personally called me to discuss matters, for which I am grateful. So, maybe there is yet hope to attention to detail (and even lack of problems) at the Mansion.

2  Thank Mardenco

Dear Mardenco:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our on-line surveys. We truly appreciate your feedback and your ability to see past our unfortunate circumstances with a glimmer of hope!

A failed valve required us to perform an emergency water shutdown without much notice. Thankfully, the water was restored to your suite shortly after you called us. I apologize we did not inform you prior to the shutdown, but due to the nature of the emergency time was of the essence and we were unable to contact all our guests.

Our master suite is over 1300 square feet and features a full kitchen, dining room and living room. For your short visit I can understand how you felt lost in all that space. Like you, I prefer the Executive Suites when I am traveling alone as it is very cozy and the canopy bed gives the suite a special charm. I have noted your preference in your personal profile and we will steer away from the larger suites on your future visits.

Thank you for sharing with us that you enjoyed your Room Service meal and the pool deck. I will pass along your kind remarks to the team. As well, I will discuss your remarks with our Executive Chef and Pool Service team about the menu and service at the pool. The Restaurant Menu offers four Chef’s tasting menus along with an à la carte option. The pool area offers food & beverage service through room service off season and a pool attendant is stationed daily during the summer.

Again, thank you for your time. We appreciate that you care enough about the Mansion to share your helpful comments with us. We look forward to your next visit, hopefully soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have stayed here many times over the years while my daughter was in college at SMU. This trip was with a business group and it still one of my favorite hotels anywhere. The staff is wonderfully attentive, the hotel is simply beautiful and the restaurant is deservedly famous. The only place to stay while in Dallas, in my opinion!

Dear Debra T:

Over the decades Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek has had the privilege of hosting thousands of SMU parents and alumni. We are fortunate to continue that tradition today. The Mansion team has many great stories about helping students and their parents. One year our Engineering team was asked to help rebuild the interiors of a dorm. Another time a parent called concerned because their daughter was unable to study for finals due to noisy room- mates, could we arrange a room? And the list goes on. So we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your visits while your daughter attended SMU, and that now you have another reason to visit us. We look forward to seeing you again and please remember you always have your Mansion family to take care of you!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

First and foremost this hotel is about service. Exemplary service. Impeccable service. Attentive yet unobtrusive service. Just excellence all around.
Everything else is very nice too. Loved this hotel and would go again anytime.

Room Tip: Premier rooms have walkin showers and tubs, Deluxe rooms only a tub/shower combo.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Texian:

It was a pleasure to be of service in any manner. We loved having you with us and hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I have to admit that I stayed here about 2 Christmas ago. It was cold in Dallas and the bellman walked us in with some portable heater. I have never seen that done anywhere else. That was nice. I had read so much about the 'The Mansion' and it was one time on top 10 hotels in Texas. But when I stayed there, it was winding down and not as new. Anyway, the front desk was nice and attentive. The lobby surprisingly was small and they had a nice Christmas tree. The rooms were nice and every now and then a plane will fly over. I loved that since I love airplanes and it was not too noisy. Maybe there was an airport nearby. The view was good but I tell you, all that I read previously about having private butler or valet guy that will unpack your bag was not happening. That is what I meant by all that, was winding down. Maybe when it first opened, it was more 5-star. We had problem finding the entrance as we drove around twice. It is kinda hidden and I was surprised at how small the hotel was. They did not have too many amenities as I toured the hotel. Dallas has a lot of nice hotels but I will not return for that reason alone. But the hotel itself is nice but not the best. Yes, I preferred the 4 seasons in Las Colinas more.

Room Tip: rooms facing the city have better view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is an updated review as I stay at this property often. There is no better hotel in Dallas. The service is top notch from the valet to the bell staff to the front desk to the bar and restaurant. Rooms are well appointed, very clean and comfortable. The food is fantastic. The bar is great. The entire hotel staff makes you feel at home. Also, a great location.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I booked the mansion sweetheart deal for my husband and myself and we had an amazing time. The room was lovely. Our deal included an aromatherapy bath and rose petal turndown. We were given a beautiful selection of love songs to play in our room. It was all so romantic. The bed was so comfortable. We had breakfast in our balcony and that was also lovely and delicious. The Mansion is grand and the decor is beautiful. The service- Fantastic. We were given embroidered pillowcases with our initials. From arrival to departure, we were treated like royalty. For a romantic local getaway, Rosewood Mansion is absolutely the right place! We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
RosewoodDallas, General Manager at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear ogeeA,

What a wonderful treat for your husband!! Thank you for choosing to spend your romantic evening with us at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek! We are delighted to have played a part and happy to know you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will return soon. Until then, I remain at your service.