“Excellent stay”

Ranked #9 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
New York City, New York
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Top notch facility and service. Staff is attentive without being overwhelming. Provides everything I expect of a first class hotel. Had several meals at the restaurant, which is very good as well. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
RosewoodDallas, General Manager at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Samuel g:

I am glad to hear we struck the right balance of service with you! Our team works diligently to provide intuitive and refined service to all our guests. We hope to see you again at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek and Dallas soon.

andrea.gates@rosewoodhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just spent a weekend at the Mansion for leisure. I've read and heard a lot about this hotel so I definitely wanted to make a point of visiting.

First of all, I want to make it clear this is not a bad place to stay. However given the price and the previous reviews I feel this hotel does not live up to the expectations.

The check-in process was smooth. We had requested a room away from the elevators and quiet, and I feel the staff was able to provide that. Going into the room, we immediately noticed a noticeable strong smell from either carpet cleaning fluid or detergents. This smell did not go away during the course of the weekend and I have never been to a luxury hotel that smelled bad.

The room itself is spacious. The beds and pillows are comfortable. The furniture we were told, had recently replaced, and maybe it had but it looked dingy and cheap. I only mention this because I don't stay at luxe hotels to judge the furniture but it was probably my first clue that this place wasn't really all that it bills itself to be.

The bathroom is really where I think my instincts were correct. The Mansion prides itself on having a historic background. That's great. But the bathroom's plumbing system unfortunately seemed to be carried over from the early 20th century. The master sinks gurgled constantly. Everything looked old, and rundown.

The shower - all luxe hotels have outstanding showers - was awful. It consists of two separate brass levers you have to constantly jiggle and jimmy to get the correct balance of hot and cold water. Keep in mind as you are showering the levers are moving or something is happening so every 20 seconds or so you have to 'get it just right' or you either scald or freeze. The shower head provides a small and conical stream; you end up wasting a lot of water trying to take a normal shower.

The restaurant experience was mixed. We ate breakfast only; reasonable but not outstanding for the price. Dinner gets a lot of hype but we passed. The bar setting is beautiful and I do think this is where the history of the old mansion was used towards its advantage.

The Mansion is billed as an urban oasis but there's not a lot to really make it seem that way. There are no green areas to gather or stroll about. The outdoor seating area outside the restaurant is nice enough, but thats about it.

Service overall was reasonable enough for a luxury hotel but not consistent with say a Four Seasons experience. The workers are kind and pleasant but we did not get a proactive 'what can we help you with' feel from any of them.

All in all, this will be my last stay at the Mansion for any future Dallas excursions. So far we've been to ZaZa Dallas (bad experience) and Four Seasons Las Colinas (excellent experience). I'll probably just go FS Las Colinas in the future or try something new like Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tevemasa
Dear tevemasa:

Thank you for your comments and I am happy to hear that our staff was able to fulfill your request for a spacious room in a quiet location. Admittedly, our team should have taken a more proactive approach. When the shower malfunction and cleaning chemical odor was apparent we could have offered to move you to another room. I have addressed this with our team and we will double our efforts to prevent this from happening in the future.

We would be happy to help you explore the area more fully on your next visit. Being in an urban setting, many of our guests are pleasantly surprised to cross the street and find beautifully landscaped paths along Turtle Creek. As well, the nearby Katy Trail offers 3.5 miles of paths perfect for jogging, walking, bicycling and in-line skating.

I hope you will try us again so that we may provide an excellent experience for you. I’m certain we can find the perfect room or suite. Please reach out to me directly so that I may be of personal assistance. It would be our sincere pleasure to welcome you back!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We just spent the night at The Mansion as a quiet get away as we live in the area. It was truly wonderful from the first step on the property. Valet greeted us with a very sincere welcome and big smiles. The front desk staff could not have been friendlier. We were able to check in early which was nice.

Our room was a patio room on the first floor. HUGE room, very comfortable bed, soft linens. The couch was a bit hard but we didn't really use it. The patio would have been perfect for room service dinner, but it was pouring down rain. It was very private so we will definitely request a patio room again in the future. Bring your iPod. Great speakers to plug in to if you want to listen to music. Otherwise, you will pay $9.95 for 2 hours of music…nah.

Later in the afternoon we made our way to the bar. Love this place. Dark, but just the right amount of dark, library feel. We sat at the end of the bar and had a great time with Danny the bartender. We went very casual…jeans and tshirts. Before we left the place was full and sparkling with diamonds from end to end. But that didn't change our service. If you are hungry and want to order from the bar menu…must get the Southwest Fries. I renamed them Crack Fries as they were the very best fries I have ever eaten.

We ordered room service for dinner and decided to go basic…turkey club (and yes, I ordered more crack fries). I don't know what they did, but it was an outstanding sandwich. The perfect sandwich if I must so say.

The only negative I could find was the shower. I was expecting a walk-in shower and it was a tub shower. And the way it was designed made it difficult to turn on the water. So I'd say it was time to remodel and ditch the tub. Othwerwise, I spent my entire night in their rob which was super soft and not so thick you can't move in.

We will definitely be returning when a quiet get away is required!

Room Tip: Ask for a walk in shower. And the patio room was really big
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DrDivaG:

Thank you for your kind remarks about your recent visit to Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek. I have shared your comments with the Valet, Front Desk and Danny. They were thrilled to learn that they made a favorable impression.

I will pass along your constructive remarks about the tub/shower to our interior designer. I know they will find them very useful when it comes time to renovate. We hope to see you again soon. Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of service in any way.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Made our reservation through Amex and were treated like royalty. The room was well-appointed, comfortable and quiet. The location superb. Literally two minutes from uptown and the arts district, yet in a quiet spot which made you feel you are in the country. The mansion restaurant is superb both for breakfast and dinner. The staff particularly the concierge is knowledgable and incredibly helpful. In short the service is the best and in the future Rosewood will be my first choice for all my travel plans

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I just got back from a lovely stay at The Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek. The property perfectly combines history and historic charm with a modern business hotel experience that did not feel cookie cutter.

The service from welcome at the valet to check out was warm and professional, with the staff memorizing my name very quickly. Check in and check out are smooth seamless processes, which is very important while traveling for business. While this hotel is comfortable and has all business amentities, it has charm and character that many urban chain hotels (even 5 star chains) lack. Rosewood always does an exceptional job of going the extra step to creat a unique expereince. Even the welcome and beers in the room, and the turndown chocolates and bourbon were local Texas offerings.

The room was large and comfortable, with nice well kept furnishings, and a large marble bathroom. While all very nice and exceptionally maintained, certain elements of the room and bathroom will certainly be due for an upgrade in the next few years to stay current. The 'dated' look of the bathroom with its pink and tan mabrles, however, did not impair the comfort of the room of experience.

The bar and restaurant are both beautiful and offer a unique look into the past history of the Mansion. The bar had great drinks and service, and a fun ambiance with live music and a lively crowd even on a weeknight. It was separated from the lobby and guestroom area of the hotel, so there would never be a noise nuisance issue. We did not eat in the restaurant, but it has a beaufitul series of dining rooms and terraces. Room service was well presented and promptly delivered and well prepared.

The fitness area was large with tons of clean equipment in great condition and virtually no one else using it. On top of all that, it is my understanding that they are upgrading and replacing the equpiment (most of which looks barely used) this summer. This will coincide with a renovation of the spa area and locker rooms that again, while clean and well mainainted, definitley need a refresh to stay current.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank EvanSK85
RosewoodDallas, General Manager at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear EvanSK85,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek. I am delighted to hear that our warm service, attentive associates and thoughtful amenities provided you a memorable visit. We take pride in retaining the intimate ambience of the private residence it once was.

I hope to welcome you back to Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek and Dallas soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist you in the future.

Respectfully,

Los Angeles
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I love The Mansion. I want to to write a glowing review, but the truth is, it really needs some attention. It has always been a magical place but its not any longer. The staff is still exceptional and very professional. The valet and bell people are wonderful. Concierge terrific. Wait staff great. But the hotel itself is in need of some repair.
The carpet in the hallways is dirty and needs to be either replaced or stretched. The suite I stayed in needed a good scrubbing. Corners were dirty, grout had some black looking mold, robes were thin and worn, sheets were so so. Mattress was very hard. TV didn't work very well. It all just seemed a little dated and a little ignored. The attention to detail is gone.
One of my favorite things I used to love to do was to sit outside on the patio by the fireplaces and have cocktails. Sat down, and the fireplaces were full of cigarette butts. Outdoor furniture was dirty, cushions stained. What hotel manager does not see a fireplace full of cigarette butts? Call housekeeping or have them check this every morning.
Can't put my finger on all of it but for the kind of money you spend at this place ( room $800, breakfast $75,..) you expect perfection and The Mansion just isn't it any more.
Next trip, I will try the Crescent or The Ritz. Very sad.

Room Tip: Not sure I can any more....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank SierraToGo
Dear SierraToGo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at with us. I hope you will accept my apologies that the appearance of our hotel was not satisfactory during your recent visit. I will pass along your kind and constructive words to the staff and will analyze where the breakdown occurred with housekeeping. We strive to accommodate our valued guests to the best of our abilities and I am disappointed that we failed on this occasion.

I hope you will give us another chance soon, and please contact me directly with any further comments or concerns.

Respectfully,

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I will only stay here while in Dallas . Each time it makes me realize that I have chosen the right hotel. They do everything right the first time. Why other travelers do not stay here I do not know, but I'm glad, as it feels like my private oasis. I encourage everyone to stay here.

• Stayed February 2014