“Not What it Once Was”

Ranked #9 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
carrollton texas
“Not What it Once Was”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Before Rosewood bought this hotel, back in the day as they say, I don't think there was a hotel in the Dallas area that was more luxurious, meticulously clean and well run than "the mansion". I really am sorry to say that has changed. Service has slipped and does not have the personal touches it once had. Special requests seem to get lost the fresh flowers and attention to detail in each room is gone. For example, at one time special items such as complimentary appetizers and wine were brought to the room after the staff inquired when the guests would like to have them delivered. At our last visit chocolate-covered strawberries were brought to our room after we had left for dinner. They were left sitting on a tray for hours. When we returned they were warm, soggy and so we ended up discarding them. Toiletries are now left in refillable bottles and those bottles are so old and worn that you cannot read what they contain. They also didn't appear to be very clean. Robes now resemble something you could buy at a low-end department store instead of a high-end spa. The bar/lounge area which used to have the feel of an intimate romantic piano bar is not more like a honky tonk and far too noisy to share a quiet after-dinner drink. Turn down service is still provided but the turn down staff failed to recognize that not only was the bottom sheet on our bed torn but the top sheet had fresh red lipstick on it. By the time we were ready to turn in and discovered the dirty torn sheets there wasn't a hotel staff member available to remedy this situation. We were asked to pack up and move to another room instead. At that point we felt that packing up to move from one room was less desirable than packing up and going home instead. So we did. We were given a voucher so we could return on another night. We will not be returning. Why would we?

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cheeriohs
RosewoodDallas, General Manager at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Cheeriohs,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope you will accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. We always try to accommodate our valued guests to the best of our abilities and I am very disappointed that we failed on this occasion.

I do, sincerely, hope that you change your mind and decide to give us another chance soon. Please contact me directly with any further comments or concerns.

Kind regards,
Andrea Gates, Managing Director
Andrea.Gates@rosewoodhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We ate in the wine cellar. Great atmosphere. The food matched. The service was very good and we had individual service. The wine list was very good. The selection was made by our hosts. I can highly recommend

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Spring, Texas
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our experience was what you would expect from a luxury hotel. Fantastic!! Great Staff. I had booked a room on Hotel.com BUT I looked down at it and it was for the wrong date! We had a wedding in two hours to attend and no correct reservation! Not only was Yae Lim Noh calm and collected but helped me cancel my on line booking and booked us a beautiful suite at the Mansion for the evening! Everything was perfect! We will definitely come back but will book my room directly from the hotel. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: We have stayed a few times and have enjoyed the upper floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel - it was like stepping back in time to a different age..... but in a good way! Excellent food and superb standard of service. The Spa and pool were a high light of our stay. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Everything about this hotel was wonderful. Lovely rooms, great service, delicious food. Highly discrete and very efficient and proactive in making my stay amazing, the service was truly exceptional. There is great music at the bar if you are in the mood for a lively evening and the outdoor terrace for breakfast and dining is lovely, if you choose a more relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and have the view of the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
glen ellyn
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Great cocktails in the bar. Delicious food in the restaurant. The rooms are nice and well kept. The staff is helpful and solicitious. The pool area has great landscaping, so one can sit in the shade of a tree and get a bit of relief from the hot Texas sun. And yes, this is a very expensive property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was looking forward to a magic weekend at the famed Mansion on Turtle Creek. Quickly greeted by the valets and taken to the check-in desk. Although the room was booked one-month prior...for a king bed, I was told that a king bed was NOT available as booked. After much discussion, they offered me a king bed for one night IF I WOULD MOVE TO ANOTHER ROOM the next day. Really, is this the luxury that they are selling? Again, I expressed my displeasure with the situation and was finally offered a king room. I went to the room and was so disappointed with what I found. Tired, dated furnishings and the room smelled so musty. Did I mention that the room backed up to the elevator? I went back to the front desk and they told me that this was the best that they could do as they were fully booked for the weekend. I was so disappointed as I had always heard good things about the Mansion. I guess this was a beautiful property...in the 1980's.

I quickly checked out and went to my old stand-by hotel, the Melrose where I was well cared for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lachoirboy
RosewoodDallas, General Manager at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear lachoirboy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our goal is to provide exceptional service and to ensure that each visit is a pleasant and memorable one. By reporting the issues you experienced during your stay, you have helped us enhance the reputation that we strive so diligently to uphold.

I hope you will accept my apologies that the room décor and availability were not satisfactory during your recent visit. Please know that these issues have been reviewed with the appropriate managers and steps have been taken to prevent this from happening again. We always try to accommodate our valued guests to the best of our abilities and I am very disappointed that we failed on this occasion.

We hope you will give us another chance soon, and please contact me directly with any further comments or concerns.

Kind regards,