“Tired, Dated and Over-Rated”

Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek
Ranked #9 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Tired, Dated and Over-Rated”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was looking forward to a magic weekend at the famed Mansion on Turtle Creek. Quickly greeted by the valets and taken to the check-in desk. Although the room was booked one-month prior...for a king bed, I was told that a king bed was NOT available as booked. After much discussion, they offered me a king bed for one night IF I WOULD MOVE TO ANOTHER ROOM the next day. Really, is this the luxury that they are selling? Again, I expressed my displeasure with the situation and was finally offered a king room. I went to the room and was so disappointed with what I found. Tired, dated furnishings and the room smelled so musty. Did I mention that the room backed up to the elevator? I went back to the front desk and they told me that this was the best that they could do as they were fully booked for the weekend. I was so disappointed as I had always heard good things about the Mansion. I guess this was a beautiful property...in the 1980's.

I quickly checked out and went to my old stand-by hotel, the Melrose where I was well cared for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lachoirboy
RosewoodDallas, General Manager at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear lachoirboy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our goal is to provide exceptional service and to ensure that each visit is a pleasant and memorable one. By reporting the issues you experienced during your stay, you have helped us enhance the reputation that we strive so diligently to uphold.

I hope you will accept my apologies that the room décor and availability were not satisfactory during your recent visit. Please know that these issues have been reviewed with the appropriate managers and steps have been taken to prevent this from happening again. We always try to accommodate our valued guests to the best of our abilities and I am very disappointed that we failed on this occasion.

We hope you will give us another chance soon, and please contact me directly with any further comments or concerns.

Kind regards,
Andrea Gates
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
louisiana
Reviewed April 23, 2013

On our first breakfast in the adjoining restaurant, I looked at the menu and saw coffee at the price of $10. Paris prices. The Rosewood is well up on the expensive side, but it is a first class hotel in every way. We arrived late on our first night and were shown to our room only to find it was on a smoking floor (not what we requested). Our bellman and the front desk were able to smoothly and quickly move us to an acceptable and comparable room. We had a king suite with a small balcony. We were there for a wedding and got to see the bridal suite, which is huge and opens onto the ninth floor deck. The rooms were very nice, but I have 2 quibbles. The televisions received the annoying cable setup you find in every hotel; a system in which you must continually scroll to get to the regular tv channels. And, worse, no free wi fi. I suppose in a hotel at these prices one shouldn't sweat the extra dollars for wi fi, but again, why not have free wi fi for your guests. It was an extra step, an extra payment that was unnecessary and out of step with the majority of hotels we've enjoyed.
Our bed was very comfortable and we stayed three nights, which is typically when my back starts yearning for the bed at home. The hotel is just nine stories and is quiet for the most part. Service by everyone on the staff was exemplary. Be prepared to tip for everything, because this hotel wants to wait on your every need. There's no self-parking, but valets whisk your car to you. There's a town car service available for the immediate area. There's no ice in the rooms, but the staff brings ice at early evening (cocktail hour). There's no coffee service in the room, and it requires a walk downstairs to get coffee from the front door coffee service. I would have preferred a coffee service in my room, to avoid that trip. The pool is on the small side and the courtyard around it is cramped, so don't go for the pool. The ground floor rooms below us had small terraces and I would have liked that; i'll ask for those if i return. In our experience, the hotel was a wonderful venue for the wedding. The wedding party shot photos on the grounds, we held the wedding on the roof top deck and the reception was in the ballroom below. The food was excellent in every case. The congierge staff were gracious and quick to recommend nearby restaurants when that was our need.
Overall, a very relaxing and comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a first floor room with a terrace. or an upper floor room that does not overlook the parkin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Diego
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our 5th time staying at this property, it doesn't get any better, highly recommended for a weekend getaway or just a short vacation, as you know Dallas is not known as the party capital of the world. Rooms are very nice and quiet, spotless property and excellent service, we're coming back next month.

• Stayed April 2013
Los Altos, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We fly to Dallas for a Friday night event and decided to stay at the Mansion and have a private dinner in their FDR room the night before the event. What a charming property, with incredible staff. Our room was comfortable and cozy. A quiet elegance could be felt throughout all the rooms. Our dinner party was wonderful, the food and service were near perfection. Don't miss this wonderful retreat.

Room Tip: Upon check-in we were offered an upgrade to a larger premium room, but we wanted to stay with our fi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I always return to this hotel for many reasons , location, service, overall feeling and comfort. I enjoy the feeling of being welcomed back, as if you were a guest in someone's home. From the moment you drive up, step inside, a sense of calm is felt.

• Stayed April 2013
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am a huge fan of Rosewood, having stayed at several of their properties from San Miguel de Allende to Vancouver to the Carlyle in NY... My husband and I just recently treated his mother and aunt to a night at The Mansion post opera. I feel like I can write this review as we checked them in and spent quite a bit of time in their room. I can't argue the fact that the exterior and location of the property is amazing....just beautiful! The staff from the valet to the front desk are wonderful...make you feel so at home. My issue with the property, based on the nightly room rate, is the wear and tear.... dirty and torn carpet in the hallways.....significant paint scratches in the room...the sitting areas outside the elevators worn and tattered with marks or rips in the chairs... being very picky I have to point out the area around the exterior elevator buttons worn as well. I understand this is presently not rated 5* but there is no reason it shouldn't be. My overall feeling was it was hanging on to its glamour days from the 80's..... My critique aside my mother in law did say the beds were extremely comfortable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you read my other reviews you know that I truly appreciate fine hotels. Having traveled the world, this is my favorite. Absolutely the best staff I have ever seen in any hotel, in any city! It feels like my home away from home.
The charm and luxury of this hotel is fantastic. Great bar and an amazing restaurant on premises. Suites are incredible. Rooms are perfect. Great gym and nice pool area. Excelent location and near everything. I can't say enough about this hotel!! A must stay in Dallas.

Room Tip: Have stayed a few times and all rooms seem great. I would try to face the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business