“Wonderful Stay in Dallas”

Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek
Ranked #14 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mansion for the first time which visiting Dallas. I grew up in the area and have always thought of the Mansion as the epitome of that Old Dallas Glamour. I was not disappointed in the least. I found the service to be excellent, form the concierge, to the knowledgeable bellmen, to the bar staff. Our room was beautiful and we also enjoyed the lively bar. The Concierge recommended several restaurants for us and we were able to use the house car to take us to and pick us up from dinner, which was a nice touch. The only thing I didn't care for, and this is just a personal preference, were the large bottles of shampoo, bodywash, lotion in the bathroom. I didn't like the thought of other guests using the same bottles as me, but it wasn't a huge deal and didn't detract from my overall great impression of the Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meg C

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Several years ago we stayed here and had been semiregulars for a decade or so and that stay was so horrific we haven't been back. The updates are lovely, the rooms are freshened and have comfortable furnishings and a modern TV (when I was last there they still had fuzzy tube type TV's) and the staff was warm and welcoming, gone the psuedo stuffiness of the past. Overall a great experience, fine room and lovely public areas.

Room Tip: All rooms are freshly done, I don't know if there is a bad choice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We first stayed at the mansion four years ago and I remember the hotel for one reason , which was the great customer service. Little things like the greeting we recieved on arrival and nice little touches like a warm pecan pie left for us we the turn down service. The hotel itself is pretty average and even then I thought it was overdue for a renovation. On this basis (and the fact my Texan Mother in Law loved the old school granduer) we booked again.
This time the Hotel is looking even more tired , expecially against other hotels in the Rosewood group where we have stayed, but the biggest change was the service. Whilst we were unpacked at the front door there was no one to open the door for us with a greeting and no little touches (like the sorely missed pecan pie). Overall we could have been in any other Dallas hotel , albeit one looking very tired. We all decided (even my Mother in Law) that next time we would try somewhere else in Dallas,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Islington70
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am rating this hotel relative to other top service hotels, based on facilities and service. So, I am not using the same criteria I would use to rate a Westin or Sheraton. I am rating it relative to a Mandarin Oriental, Ritz, St. Regis, Four Seasons, or Peninsula Hotel. Therefore, I am being much more harsh on this hotel than on one that doesn't emphasize service.

I would have rated this hotel as 4 stars, but I had higher expectations given its reputation as one of the best service-oriented hotels in the city. Still, I would recommend the hotel, but it would not be a top recommendation. For a similar location, I like the nearby Warwick Melrose more. If location is not important, but you want a top service hotel, chose the Four Seasons in Las Calinas. The Ritz is also a good choice. It is downtown, and its bar and lobby have more energy.

I stayed here at the end of a Holiday trip. The house I was visiting was full, so I started my trip out at the Four Seasons for a couple of nights, staid with family for a couple of nights, and staid at the Mansion the night before flying out. So, the proximity between my stay here and the Four Seasons made differences particularly salient.

The bad: (These are admittedly picky, except, I think, for the first criticism.)

I got stuck in the elevator for 20-25 minutes! This happened on the morning that I was checking out, and it left me crunched for time. The staff were helpful, and security left me a message on the phone following up with me. However, I stay in hotels almost more frequently than I stay at home in any particular year. This has never happened to me. I think the manager should have called or should have waived some incidentals at a service oriented hotel.

I had noticed that the carpet looked somewhat worn in that it had folds/lumps and markings. Not a big deal, but it made me wonder whether maintenance is an issue here. The hotel is older, and I think it has been remodeled, but it did not look completely refreshed.

The bathtub was an old school 70s or 80s iron tub that you would find in a tract home, not in a luxury hotel. I thought this was particularly interesting

The gym was older and not large, and it wasn't staffed when I went. The Four Seasons has a very large, staffed gym.

The pool deck was closed. I don't know if they have a heated pool, but the Four Seasons has a heated interior pool and a large outdoor, unheated pool.

There was a charger for older iPhones (not the 5) and a Bose sound system that are fine but not current. I don't know if they offer adaptors for current iPhones or iPads.

Little service-oriented things were lost at the hotel. For instance, they had people using leaf blowers in the front of the hotel, and they didn't stop blowing them when people were walking right by them. The best service-oriented hotels tend not to use these unless the grounds are expansive. It isn't worth the noise pollution. Plus, they should stop when people are walking by, regardless of the level of a hotel's service.

The good:

There are a lot of good

The hotel is in a great location.

Someone brought two candies to my door shortly after I checked in.

Staff were friendly and very attentive.

The bar is very old school and entertaining. It is warm and has great character. You may order from a bar menu as well as the full restaurant menu.

At check in, I was greeted in my room by someone doing turn down service. She was very friendly and attentive and addressed me by name. That was a good impression.

Staff made a great recommendation for a running trail that was convenient to the hotel.

The restaurant in the hotel is great.

The hotel has character of old-world Dallas.

Summary: Great location and a nice property without all of the latest updates (but that is consistent with the older nature of the property); Choose the four seasons if service and amenities are most important to you; Choose this for location or the Warwick for a fun, less expensive stay. The service at this hotel is more consistent with a St. Regis, but not quite as good.

Room Tip: Ask about the nearby running trail that goes through a nearby green strip.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just a fantastic hotel. Everything from the welcome to the massage to the drinks in the bar was a phenomenal over the top experience. We did packages at the hotel with a dinner in the restaurant and massage and facial. Highly recommend this hotel for special occasions.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Mansion on Turtle Creek is a beautiful hotel -- gracious, friendly and helpful staff -- outstanding food (The Mansion restaurant is very special) -- quick room service -- public rooms are tasteful, luxurious and beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LarryK613
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Beautiful building, excellent service and comfortable rooms. The hotel prides itself on its service and does not disappoint. We took advantage of the house car that took us to the spa at the Crescent Hotel (another great Rosewood property)

Close to great shopping & restaurants. We ate at the Mansion Restaurant and had the food & wine pairing. Very nice experience and certainly reccomend a drink in the beautiful original house.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo