“Bed Was Terrible, But Rate & Proximity Was Good”

Sheraton Suites Market Center
Ranked #78 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Listen, a hotel has to have a comfy bed, this one did not. It was however a good rate, and real close to Medieval Times (like right next door), so I got over the bed being terrible pretty quickly. Woke up tired, due to my wife and rolling into each other in the giant indention in the middle of the bed. Kids said couch bed left them feeling sore the next morning. Nobody was well rested.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Tim G, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay here at our hotel. Your feedback is important to us so that we can continue to improve ourselves. I apologize for the comfort you did not recieve from our Sheraton sleeper bed.

I have shared your feedback with my staff so that we can take a look at the bed in that room and make any corrections necessary. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and I hope that should your travel plans bring you back in our are in the future, you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Suites Market Center from July 26-29 for an AAU basketball tournament in Duncanville. I personally had booked two rooms for the four boys I was taking care of. Upon check-in I was greated my Ms. Tamara Harris who provide some of the best service I've seen in years. I frequently travel for business and sports and this woman was a breathe of fresh air. I requested adjoining rooms since my husband and I wanted to keep an eye on 17-18 year olds we were responsible for and we were accomodated with a "no problem".

Throughout the course of our 4-day stay the staff was courteous and went above and beyond to assist us with various things. For example, the first night we asked if there was room we could review game tape. Ms. Harris apologized for not having a room with a TV/DVD player and put us in a large room that was quiet so we could watch it on the laptop. Each night the boys went down to purchase laundry soap for their uniforms and were greated with excellent service. One night a mother chaperoning another team of girls from Houston actually put their uniforms in the dryer and wouldn't accept repayment for her expense. She then told the boys to come back in an hour and she had folded their uniforms as well. (Awesome lady).

Our third night we wanted to go out for a fun meal, the night manager recommended an ecelctic burger joint that reminded me of Austin called The Twisted Root and told us "we can't go wrong there". The place was packed and the kids and adults were stuffed.

Overall, the location was PERFECT for easy access to Duncanville and the neighboring area had plenty of food choices if you just want to get out and explore for affordable options. I would highly recommend anyone visiting Dallas give this hotel a try. I will certainly be back for business, personal and most definitely to accomodate our basketball team on our many future trips to Dallas. I just wish I could take Ms. Tamara Harris with me everytime I traveled to ensure I had a great time! Thank you Ms. Harris, Job well done!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Nice hotel with standard Starwood amenities. Traveled with my husband and grandson and having the suite was a great cost saving feature for us. The pool was great because it was both inside and outside. My husband and grandson used the gym and thought it was nice. Excellent location, just off of I-35E near downtown Dallas. Only two elevators and one was out of service during our stay. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay again if I visited the Dallas area again.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I never complain. I usually find reasons to explain, justify, and forgive various hotels and restaurants for problems. I don't like being a complainer and I always try to find the good in any situation. But, I have to say, that this hotel experience, for a business traverler, was terrible and I would never stay here again. Actually, if this was not a government paid trip in which I had to stay at the Sheraton, I would never have stayed at a Sheraton in the first place.

FIrst of all, the hotel had our reservation all screwed up and kept trying to charge both my colleague's and my personal credit cards for the cost of the entire hotel stay even though we were there for work and our office had sent over all the appropriate paperwork for direct billing to the government and not us. One day they told us the billing issue was fixed, the next day (with a different employee), he told us it was not fixed and had not idea what the prior employee was saying. The staff were completely incompentent and not willing to assist us in any way with this problem. Basically, there attitude was well, it's your problem, work it out with your boss, who cares if your card gets charged $1000s. What they don't seem to understand, is that there is a policy that things charged on personal credit cards are not always reimbursed, so if we don't get this sorted out I could be paying out of pocket for a trip that I did not even want to take and that was required by my job.

Second, the menu totally sucks!!! I am a vegetarian and there were few, if any, vegetarian options and definitely NO healthy options other than boring salads with no nutritional value. I know this is texas and everyone eats meat, but you are a hotel, most people staying there will not be from Texas, so make sure you have something for everyone.

Third, all of the red wine was bad. The wine was warm which shows that they were not storing it properly. The wine was also rancid showing that it should have been thrown away. WHen I asked a bartender to smell and/or taste it so as to understand my concern, she said, well you are the wine expert, I don't know anything about wine, Ill just open a new bottle -- really, a bartender who knows nothing about wine? You don't need to be a sommelier but any good bartender should be able to tell a glass/bottle of wine that has gone bad.

Fourth, the club level offered free breakfast -- but, once again, few vegan/vegetarian options and nothing healthy. Scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage -- that's it. Or, cheap cereal and oatmeal. Since I work for the government, I am forced to eat this crap or suffer not being reimbursed for a breakfast I eat somewhere else. Again, this is a hotel catering to out of state guests. Have a breakfast that actually has something healthy and edible.

Fifth, the fitness center is a joke. Half the cardio machines were not working. It was smaller than my bedroom. The website makes it sound all grand -- trust me, it's not.

Sixth, internet is spotty and not free for most people. That is ridiculous. I should not have to pay for internet, period. That should be a given in a hotel that says it caters to business travels. Moreover, their website certificate was out of date so I could not connect to the internet because government security requires proper certificates. So, every night, I went to the Hilton Anatole across the street which had free internet and no problems with the certificates. Plus, it had several restaurants with vegan and vegetarian menus. This is where we should have stayed!!! much much better -- for Dallas anyway.

From here on out, I will never stay at a Sheraton unless I absolutely have to.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LHD1229
Tim G, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear LHD1229,

I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had here at our hotel. As the new General Manager I will be sharing your feedback with my staff so that we can take corrective action on improving ourselves with the reservation system to billing procedures. I also want to let you know that we are putting out a brand new restaurant and room service menu with some great things from entrees to better wine selections.

I appreciate your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. I hope that should your travel plans once again include our area that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The room was very clean & the beds were comfy. I booked a room at a great price for me & my teenage son. He slept on the sleep & I got the king bed. We both loved that you could close the door to the bedroom & the sliding door to the bathroom to give us each some private space w/o the need for seperate rooms.
Every staff member we met was friendly & helpful. The lady working in the club lounge during breakfast was very pleasant. I do wish the hotel offered free WiFi because my stay was during a motorcycle convention & it was tough to get an open spot at the computer.
We enjoyed our stay and wished it could have been longer. Also, I absolutely loved the full length mirrors in the room.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have stayed at this property about 7plus times over the years for several reasons! The rooms are huge and its normally very clean and consistant. But this last time we stayed its was over booked and the lobby was filled with people who did not have a room. We had a great room on club level like always but in the middle of the night our door was charged by a group of HS basketball players and woke up our baby and scared the crap out of us. When My husband went to see what happened a teen age boy got in his face. We called security and they came up right away. We got no sleep and our baby was up all night. It seems that they had a basketball tournmet there and no parent supervision. We went to another Starwood property for the rest of our weekend. As Starwood Perfered Guests do get taken care of. I can say that the front desk manager did take our complaint seriously and they did feel bad.

Dear AndriasMom,

I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had here at our hotel. I will be sharing your feedback with my staff and security team so that we can take corrective action on improving ourselves for the future.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week for work. I have stayed at other Sheraton's (although not "Suite" location) and I have to say I was quite disappointed.

I checked in around 10 pm and the front desk employee just stared at me and I told her I was checking in. All she said to me was "ID?" I gave it to her and she started typing on the computer. I told her I was SPG gold and if she could make sure my SPG number was attached to the reservation. She said "aight." I handed her my SPG gold card and she didn't even look at it. Then she just gave me my key with out any other dialogue.

Get into my room, and there is blood stains on my pillow, pink stains off something on my towel. Stains all over the carpet, and crayon scibbles on wall.

The next day I talked to a different front desk employee because I didn't think the employee at check in added my number. The lady looked at me and said "you dont get points with expedia." Usually my hotels are booked through a corporate account so I didn't know that, no problem though. I asked if I still got gold benefits. She gave me a "I cant believe youd ask that question" look and said no, you dont get anything, don't book through expedia." I then asked her if I needed a parking pass noticing that day all the other cars had a tag, and she said "you should." Long silent pause...I asked if I could have one and she rolled her eyes at gave me one.

That same evening I talked to a 3rd front desk employee about my gold status and said that I should have received the amenities and he would take care of the complimentary internet, but I still had to stay on the 3rd floor (there was a SPG floor). This is important later for the biker party. Of course, the internet didn't work, and the front desk said they could transfer me to AT&T to fix it. I was so frustrated I just used my 3G connection through my phone.

The next evening, there was a biker party at the hotel, they brought trailers and everything, which ifs fine, but they were blasting music until well after 11 pm, right outside my 3rd floor window. I went to work everyday at 6:00, so this was very disruptive.

THEN towards the end of my stay I called to add someone to my reservation so my partner could get into my room while I was at work. Needless to say they front desk employees (2 different ones I spoke to) were unable to do it and said they had to get supervisor approval. I was put on hold 3 times for 10+ minutes each time (not exaggerating), waiting for the supervisor. The 4th time I hung up and called back the girl felt bad and asked if I wanted a call back later. I declined because my partner just decided to drive around Dallas in his car waiting for me to come back.

This was the 2nd worst hotel experience I have encountered in all of my travels. The worst being a $39/night motel I was forced to stay in for lack of options. I will never stay at a Sheraton Suites again, although I will continue to stay in normal Sheratons.

CONS:
Worst service I've ever experienced
Dirty rooms, linens, towels
Incompetent staff (80% of my encounters)

PROS:
The gym has up to date equipment

BEWARE!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Kethee,

I want to thank you for letting us know about your stay here at our hotel. It is through our guest’s feedback that we can determine how well we are doing in taking care of our guests. Our goal is to meet or exceed your expectations. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had here at our hotel with the front desk.

As the new General Manager of the hotel I will be sharing your feedback with my staff so that we can take corrective action on improving ourselves and preventing these kinds of things from happening in the future.