“Perfect for a night away”

Renaissance Dallas Hotel
Ranked #36 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Argyle, Texas
“Perfect for a night away”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for my birthday in one of the suites. The room was spacious, and the bed was amazing!
The living area was big enough for at least five adults, though the only slight let-down was the bathroom left a little to be desired, particularly the bathtub.

The staff were courteous, polite, and prompt. Despite a little snafu checking out, the problem was quickly and professionally handled with a minimum of fuss.

Certainly a hotel we could recommend, and would stay at again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AussieTexBrit
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Than you for the great review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and our staff. We are also glad the room was large enough to accomodate 5 adults comfortably!

We hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Mark Woelffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I had a free night Marriott Rewards stay and decided to try the Renaissance hotel in Dallas. While the room was clean, the bathroom was small and they had no King beds. The room was also by the elevator and very noisy. We ordered room service which was pricey but tasted overall good. The valet service was prompt but also pricey.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank jdavidson58
Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent three nights during a convention. Didn't want to stay in the hustle of downtown; however, this hotel was very accessible to all downtown attractions and on the feeder road of I-35. Two cons: The parking is "no bueno!" There are a handful of spaces in the front but most parking spaces are cramped in the rear of the hotel with very dim lighting (negative safety feature). The other con: We were informed in the morning there'd be a water shut-off due to construction between 11pm-5am on a Thursday night. How do you do that in an operating hotel and not offer a form of compensation? Coming "home" from a night on the town and there's no water...huh?

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your convention in Dallas. We are delighted you enjoyed our location which is easily accessible to downtown and surrounding areas. We have addressed your parking concerns and recently have gone to an all valet parking system which will serve to enhance the safety and security of our guests.

I sincerely apologize for the water shutoff. We were installing some new equipment and the water shutoff was mandatory during the installation. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again if travels bring you back to Dallas.

Warm Regards,

Mark Woelffer
Austin, TX - Go Horns!
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had stayed at the Omni Dallas Hotel near the Convention Center the last several times while vacationing in Dallas. The rates during spring break were higher than what we had paid in the past so we decided to try the Renaissance. The Renaissance had a great deal called Family Movie Night where you get breakfast daily for 2 adults and 2 kids plus a large pizza, four sodas and a free in room movie -- all for $139 per night. Plus there was no garage parking fee that the Omni charges, so the saving was substantial.

Check in was quick and it was easy to find a free parking spot -- at least during the day ... took a few circles around the parking lot one night but did not have to use valet -- which they charge $22 per night.

The room was large and clean. Two double beds with a sectional sofa that was also a pull out bed. Also had a desk and mini fridge. Room number was 2410 and had good view of the Dallas skyline. It was quiet and beds were comfortable, although pillows are rather flat and smallish.

There were plenty of towels and they were high quality. There are two sinks ... one outside of the bathroom so that was nice. You can still brush your teeth/etc while the bathroom is in use by another person.

The breakfast buffet was not as good as the Omni though. The free large pizza and room service was fine and uneventful. We also tried the home made cookies for the kids ... they were alright ... not as good as Omni's choc. chip cookies. Didn't try dinner at the hotel.

Only minor complaint is that the breakfast plan forces you to only get the buffet. The buffet costs $19, which was more expensive than any other item on the breakfast menu. Why not let me choose pancakes or whatever else on the menu instead of the buffet? The website did NOT say that you had to get buffet ... it just said free breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids daily. Oh well ... there were good selections on the buffet and you can custom order an omelet.

Overall I thought it was an excellent hotel, right off I-35 and easier to get to than the Omni. Parking lot was easier to navigate than the convention center parking garage as well. I'm glad I tried the Renaissance hotel and will definitely consider another stay here on my next Dallas trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bikinibottomdweller
Long Island, NY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance Dallas for a week during a business trip. Lobby was nice. Check-in was a little slow but nothing to complain about. We checked in closer to 8 PM so perhaps the line had dwindled a bit. Rooms we fairly typical and straightforward. The hotel is shaped somewhat like an oval, so the size of the room seems to depend greatly on the room number you receive. I was put into a room close to the end of the hotel, so the room definitely felt cramped once inside. The lounge chair in the room was wedged between the wall and the nightstand and barely fir the space. Not a complaint as much as an observation. Everything else in the room was satisfactory.
There is quite a bit of construction currently going on outside of the hotel. It doesn't really get in the way of your stay but it is noticeable and some of the exits out of the hotel are non-passable. As a result you end up leaving the hotel by driving down a row of spaces meant for traffic coming the other way. Also of note is that the parking, while free, can be tight if you come back to the hotel later in the night. There are spots available but you will end up parked some distance from the lobby in what felt like an overfill lot. All in all I would stay here again as a I like the Marriott brand and try to keep my business consolidated. I have stayed across the street at the Marriott Suites and this hotel is far nicer. That said, this hotel seems right in the middle for the Renaissance brand.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the center of the hotel as they are bigger based on the oval shape of the tower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was my second time staying here as I come each year for my daughter's cheerleading competitions. To start off with, check in was painstakingly slow. I stood in one place for 15 minutes without moving. They really should set up a single queue so that dimwits (who clearly want to ignore the single line we civilized people have formed down the center), can't just walk up to one of the lines on the far left or right. Still not sure what took so long. When it was my turn, a nice man named Walter helped me out and I was done in just a few minutes. They did have a list of "rules" for the weekend, since there was a large number of young children in the hotel because of the cheerleading competition. They even had a curfew, which I appreciated. Of course, I still heard kids running and screaming down the halls at 1:00 am, but I blame the parents, not the hotel.

To my dismay, I got the first room right next to the elevators. Not sure what it is about stepping off an elevator that makes people laugh hysterically or shout at each other, but that is all I heard the entire weekend. Well, that and the constant noise from the elevators since I shared a wall with them. Ask for a room further down. I am always amazed at how inconsiderate people can be in hotels with the noise. Is it that hard to speak in a low tone while walking past people's rooms in the middle of the night?

Ok, my biggest gripe about the place was the slamming doors. Is there not some mechanism they can place on the doors to keep them from slamming? Not only that, but the gust of wind from each slamming door would shake my own door. I've stayed in dozens of hotels and don't ever recall hearing this problem before.

Housekeeping came later in the day each day, and I was already back in my room by then. Kind of annoying, but I guess somebody's room has to get cleaned later in the day. I just asked for clean towels and skipped the cleaning for the weekend.

Didn't eat at the restaurant or use the valet, so I can't comment on that. Self parking was fine, and most importantly, free, although their parking lot confuses me somewhat.

All I all, an okay place. Nothing really stood out as special or bad. But please fix those doors!

Room Tip: Away from elevators
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TexasGirlie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My son and I were driving from Denver to Houston and stayed here one night. The rooms are really big and super nice. Comfy beds, great bathroom, super views of downtown. We had dinner at the Asador restaurant in the lobby and it was great. The food is so fresh and healthy but with delicious and complex flavors. A welcome respite from road chow. Our server James was so friendly and nice, he even brought my purse up to the room after I left it at the table...like I said, long drive....maybe the tequila agave cocktail had something to do with it too. If you're looking for a convenient and classy hotel, try this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family