“Basically....gets the job done.”

Renaissance Dallas Hotel
Ranked #37 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Texas
“Basically....gets the job done.”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent three nights during a convention. Didn't want to stay in the hustle of downtown; however, this hotel was very accessible to all downtown attractions and on the feeder road of I-35. Two cons: The parking is "no bueno!" There are a handful of spaces in the front but most parking spaces are cramped in the rear of the hotel with very dim lighting (negative safety feature). The other con: We were informed in the morning there'd be a water shut-off due to construction between 11pm-5am on a Thursday night. How do you do that in an operating hotel and not offer a form of compensation? Coming "home" from a night on the town and there's no water...huh?

• Stayed March 2013
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your convention in Dallas. We are delighted you enjoyed our location which is easily accessible to downtown and surrounding areas. We have addressed your parking concerns and recently have gone to an all valet parking system which will serve to enhance the safety and security of our guests.

I sincerely apologize for the water shutoff. We were installing some new equipment and the water shutoff was mandatory during the installation. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again if travels bring you back to Dallas.

Warm Regards,

Mark Woelffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Austin, TX - Go Horns!
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had stayed at the Omni Dallas Hotel near the Convention Center the last several times while vacationing in Dallas. The rates during spring break were higher than what we had paid in the past so we decided to try the Renaissance. The Renaissance had a great deal called Family Movie Night where you get breakfast daily for 2 adults and 2 kids plus a large pizza, four sodas and a free in room movie -- all for $139 per night. Plus there was no garage parking fee that the Omni charges, so the saving was substantial.

Check in was quick and it was easy to find a free parking spot -- at least during the day ... took a few circles around the parking lot one night but did not have to use valet -- which they charge $22 per night.

The room was large and clean. Two double beds with a sectional sofa that was also a pull out bed. Also had a desk and mini fridge. Room number was 2410 and had good view of the Dallas skyline. It was quiet and beds were comfortable, although pillows are rather flat and smallish.

There were plenty of towels and they were high quality. There are two sinks ... one outside of the bathroom so that was nice. You can still brush your teeth/etc while the bathroom is in use by another person.

The breakfast buffet was not as good as the Omni though. The free large pizza and room service was fine and uneventful. We also tried the home made cookies for the kids ... they were alright ... not as good as Omni's choc. chip cookies. Didn't try dinner at the hotel.

Only minor complaint is that the breakfast plan forces you to only get the buffet. The buffet costs $19, which was more expensive than any other item on the breakfast menu. Why not let me choose pancakes or whatever else on the menu instead of the buffet? The website did NOT say that you had to get buffet ... it just said free breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids daily. Oh well ... there were good selections on the buffet and you can custom order an omelet.

Overall I thought it was an excellent hotel, right off I-35 and easier to get to than the Omni. Parking lot was easier to navigate than the convention center parking garage as well. I'm glad I tried the Renaissance hotel and will definitely consider another stay here on my next Dallas trip.

1 Thank bikinibottomdweller
Long Island, NY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance Dallas for a week during a business trip. Lobby was nice. Check-in was a little slow but nothing to complain about. We checked in closer to 8 PM so perhaps the line had dwindled a bit. Rooms we fairly typical and straightforward. The hotel is shaped somewhat like an oval, so the size of the room seems to depend greatly on the room number you receive. I was put into a room close to the end of the hotel, so the room definitely felt cramped once inside. The lounge chair in the room was wedged between the wall and the nightstand and barely fir the space. Not a complaint as much as an observation. Everything else in the room was satisfactory.
There is quite a bit of construction currently going on outside of the hotel. It doesn't really get in the way of your stay but it is noticeable and some of the exits out of the hotel are non-passable. As a result you end up leaving the hotel by driving down a row of spaces meant for traffic coming the other way. Also of note is that the parking, while free, can be tight if you come back to the hotel later in the night. There are spots available but you will end up parked some distance from the lobby in what felt like an overfill lot. All in all I would stay here again as a I like the Marriott brand and try to keep my business consolidated. I have stayed across the street at the Marriott Suites and this hotel is far nicer. That said, this hotel seems right in the middle for the Renaissance brand.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the center of the hotel as they are bigger based on the oval shape of the tower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was my second time staying here as I come each year for my daughter's cheerleading competitions. To start off with, check in was painstakingly slow. I stood in one place for 15 minutes without moving. They really should set up a single queue so that dimwits (who clearly want to ignore the single line we civilized people have formed down the center), can't just walk up to one of the lines on the far left or right. Still not sure what took so long. When it was my turn, a nice man named Walter helped me out and I was done in just a few minutes. They did have a list of "rules" for the weekend, since there was a large number of young children in the hotel because of the cheerleading competition. They even had a curfew, which I appreciated. Of course, I still heard kids running and screaming down the halls at 1:00 am, but I blame the parents, not the hotel.

To my dismay, I got the first room right next to the elevators. Not sure what it is about stepping off an elevator that makes people laugh hysterically or shout at each other, but that is all I heard the entire weekend. Well, that and the constant noise from the elevators since I shared a wall with them. Ask for a room further down. I am always amazed at how inconsiderate people can be in hotels with the noise. Is it that hard to speak in a low tone while walking past people's rooms in the middle of the night?

Ok, my biggest gripe about the place was the slamming doors. Is there not some mechanism they can place on the doors to keep them from slamming? Not only that, but the gust of wind from each slamming door would shake my own door. I've stayed in dozens of hotels and don't ever recall hearing this problem before.

Housekeeping came later in the day each day, and I was already back in my room by then. Kind of annoying, but I guess somebody's room has to get cleaned later in the day. I just asked for clean towels and skipped the cleaning for the weekend.

Didn't eat at the restaurant or use the valet, so I can't comment on that. Self parking was fine, and most importantly, free, although their parking lot confuses me somewhat.

All I all, an okay place. Nothing really stood out as special or bad. But please fix those doors!

Room Tip: Away from elevators
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TexasGirlie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My son and I were driving from Denver to Houston and stayed here one night. The rooms are really big and super nice. Comfy beds, great bathroom, super views of downtown. We had dinner at the Asador restaurant in the lobby and it was great. The food is so fresh and healthy but with delicious and complex flavors. A welcome respite from road chow. Our server James was so friendly and nice, he even brought my purse up to the room after I left it at the table...like I said, long drive....maybe the tequila agave cocktail had something to do with it too. If you're looking for a convenient and classy hotel, try this one.

Midwest
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Family and I wanted to use Marriott points near Love Field. Thought I'd get something nicer than normal since I was with them. Room was nice, but not plush. Felt like they did a quick makeover and called it good. Main hotel was nice. Keep in mind we arrive late: Ate off of 'grill late night menu'. The sandwiches looked liked a 3yr old made them (at $12 a pop for a club). Then the bell hop hooked me up with a guy with a van to catch a ride to Love. I'm not cheap, just frugal, and he was already parked out front and obviously a regular for the hotel. "same as taxi $" is what I was told. People this is like a 8 min drive. It cost me $35 w/ tip. Whatever. Family go there fine, guy was nice. Just add up the crappy late night dinner and some bs with the taxi and the rest is cake. Meaning you might be disappointed but not completely let down.

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife, nephew and I checked into the Renaissance Dallas Hotel this past Friday night, 15th February 2013. A few minutes after checking in we headed to our room. Once in the room the three of were talking and then a fourth friend who was staying in another room in the hotel joined us. It was around 10:00 PM when we checked into the hotel room.

We had been in the room a total of around 10 minutes when we heard a knock on the door. I answered the door to find Kristen Achttien (assistant front desk manager) and Al Cox (LP Officer) standing in the door way. They told me that they had received a complaint that we were being loud and that if I did not keep it down that they would be forced to kick me out of the hotel!

I proceeded to explain to them that we had just gotten to our room and that we had not been load and that we were just talking about the day’s events and planning for tomorrow. She shushed me several times and told me that we had been too loud. They then told me that I had to sign a form or else I would be kicked out! I told them I was not signing anything and that we were not a problem.

Then Al Cox said he would not be disrespected by a customer and that he would just call the police and have us removed from the property. Please keep in mind that neither I nor anyone in my party was rude or raised our voice. I merely tried to explain to them that we had not been load and that we were not a problem and would not be a problem. Al Cox and Kristen Achttien insisted that I sign the paper and handed it to me and I promptly tried to hand it back to them. When they would not accept it I tossed it on the ground.

Again the threat came to call the police so I signed the paper and retrieved my bags from my room and the three of us checked out of the hotel. We then booked a room at the Hilton Anatole across the street for less money and a room twice the size of the room I had at the Renaissance Dallas Hotel.

I also must reference a statement made by Kristen Achttien “the walls are really thin in this hotel so you need to keep it down”. Now why is it my problem the walls are thin!

Just so you know… I travel all over the world for business. I own my own Engineering Company. I spent nearly 150 days in hotels last year and have done this for the past 17 years and have never had something like this happen to me. I felt like this was handled inappropriately and that Kristen Achttien and Al Cox were both way out of line and extremely rude!

Because of this situation I have made a decision to not stay in any of the Marriot branded hotels going forward. Today I canceled my reservation I had made for the 8th – 11th March 2013 at the Renaissance Detroit Hotel and have chosen another hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank NSI1965
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor concerning the issues you experienced during your stay at our hotel.

After reviewing your comments with our team, we feel that the Manager on Duty and our Security Officer were following hotel procedure regarding the noise complaints from adjacent hotel rooms .

The hotel holds the responsibility to ensure that each and every guest maintains an acceptable noise level in their room insuring all guests a comfortable night's rest. Therefore, it is our hotel’s policy for the Manager on Duty and a Security Officer to follow up every noise complaint with a visit to said room.

Again, I want to apologize for the situation that occurred and hope you understand the hotel’s responsibility in this matter.

Mark Woelffer