“OK stay, poor follow up on a problem” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Dallas
Ranked #20 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“OK stay, poor follow up on a problem”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2006

I found my room to be clean, comfortable, and fairly quiet. The tiny tv left something to be desired. I stayed for five days and only ate in the cafe. The morning I checked out I had to ask for a detailed bill at the front desk. There was a charge for a restaurant that was not mine, to the tune of $327! I was assured by the front desk that it would be taken off, once they verified the reciept. I called later that day (long distance) and nothing had been done with the bill. I was told to call back the next day if I didn't hear from someone in the morning. By 4pm...no call, so I had to make another long distance call just to find that still...nothing had been done. The person I spoke to was quite snippy, and said she'd "get to it when I have some time." When I asked for an approximate idea of how long it might be until I got this resolved she literally shrieked at me, "I don't know! I have thousands of receipts to go through!" I'm not stupid, there are computers in today's world and somehow there must be a better system than manually looking at every single receipt generated on a given day. She said she'd get to it when she could and hung up the phone. It was only after yet another long distance call to the hotel manager that I was finally assured that they had found it was not my charge and were taking it off my credit card bill. I won't stay here again. It's the level of service that a hotel gives when a customer has a problem that separates them from the rest...the Hyatt fell flat on this one.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank kellyboed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amersham, Bucks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

Recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Dallas. Was assigned a non-smoking room and I admit that the hotel could not be held accountable for previous occupants having flouted conditions and smoked in the room, however, I would expect that a hotel should clean a room before the next occupant and there was clearly evidence that this was not the case on this occasion.
One day into my 3 day stay, I dropped a pen to the floor and it rolled under the bed. On bending down to retrieve it, I found that there was a cigarette lighter under the bed. Obviously, cleaning under the beds is not a priority at the Hyatt. (I shuddered to think what other things could be found under beds - especially with the Deca rabble in town!).
I reported this finding to the Front Desk, confirming that I was not the smoker or owner of the lighter and indicated that this wasn't to be expected in such a hotel and asked for the cleaners to remove it.
Returned to the room later in the day, bent down and lo and behold, the lighter was still there. Went down to the Front Desk to complain again and asked to see a Duty Manager. One of the Front Desk personnel claimed to be but looked non-plussed, mumbled an apology (I think) and claimed that they would get the lighter removed.
Obviously there is no communication between Front Desk/Management and the cleaning staff because by the time I checked out, the lighter still remained under the bed. Absolutely disgusting.
I left a number of notes hidden around the room so that if the next occupant was to find the same lighter, they would at least have some history on how long the item had been under there and the current occupant could be sure that their room isn't being cleaned.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank Buckstrekkers
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2006

Let me start by saying that I had high expectations when staying at a 4 star hotel, especially one like the Hyatt, where their quality is exceptional in most cases. Unfortunately, this hotel did not meet my expectations. Fortunately, I got a great deal ($89) on Priceline, so I didn't get ripped off, otherwise I would have demanded a refund and stayed elsewhere.

When I first arrived at the hotel in my cab, the staff completely ignored me. They were moderately busy, but I still saw a couple of bell guys or valet guys standing around, so they could have came over and assisted. I ended up carrying my own bags over to one of the bell carts, and wheeling it into the hotel myself! Bad way to start off the stay.

I used the self check-in, which was a mistake, because you can't ask for a different room if you don't like the one it assigns you. So, when I got in my room, which was on the 3rd floor, I called down to the front desk, asking for a higher floor. They asked me to come back down, so I had to cart all my luggage back down (thank goodness I still had the cart), and then when I got to the desk, it was so big, I didn't get the person I talked to on the phone, so then they had to go find the person I talked to and ask them. They moved me to the 22nd floor in the Atrium Tower, where the view was MUCH nicer. And, finally, this time around, the bell person saw me pushing the cart myself, and offered to take my luggage up to my room.

The re-assigned room they gave me had a beautiful view of downtown Dallas. The room appeared to be clean on the surface, but further inspection found that there were a lot of rough edges. For example, the heating/AC vents were caked in about 10 years worth of dust, which is really bad if you are an allergy sufferer. The furniture and decor in the room were of a southwest nature, I felt like I was in Albuquerque, NM! Unfortunately, everything in the room is dated, and obviously needs to be remodeled, especially the wallpaper, and the fabulous popcorn ceiling!

The bathroom was adequate size, and appeared to be recently updated with granite counter, new tile in the shower, etc. I liked the double doors with the frosted glass windows on them to enter the bathroom, about the only nice touch in the decor that I appreciated. Unfortunately, the next morning when I took a shower, there was ZERO water pressure in the shower. It had a messaging shower head, but there wasn't enough pressure. So, I called down to the front desk, asked them to have maintenance come and remove the pressure regulator valve, and when I came back that evening, they had done so. The water pressure was then too high, but it was MUCH better then having no water pressure in the shower.

Amenities in the room? Standard hotel fare, ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer, soaps & shampoos, etc. NO MINI BAR or fridge in the room, so I had to use the bathroom sink as my ice chest to keep my sodas and beers cold. The ice holder they give you does not come with a plastic bag, and mine was dirty, so I had to clean it out before putting ice in it! The towels feel like sandpaper, so bring your own if you don't like that effect after taking a nice relaxing shower or bath. The internet access costs $5.55 a day with tax, and it's wireless, but it totally sucks. I got faster speeds using the wireless card through my cell phone company while in the room.

The bed was fairly comfortable. It appeared to be a pillowtop mattress. There were plenty of fluffy pillows on the bed, and the comforter may have been a down comforter. Thank goodness they at least have the sleep part of the room down, after all, that's why we need a hotel room!

The TV was an absolute joke. Standard 27 inch black hotel TV with keyboard & remote, internet access, PPV movies, etc... Highly overpriced, so I didn't order anything. I guess they didn't want to block the view, so they put the TV on the LEFT wall, and it's facing...The desk, not the bed. So if you want to watch TV in bed, you really won't be able to!

The fitness center was alright... Had a very dated and worn look to it, but they had replaced some of the equipment with newer LifeFitness elliptical machines and treadmills, some of which even had your own personal tv built into the machine. There didn't appear to be much in the way of free weights, but that's pretty standard for most hotels to not have a REAL fitness center. Water was NOT complimentry, they had a vending machine so you had to pay for drinking water.

I did not use any of the restaurants, but I did go to the revolving 50 story lounge, which is the main attraction of this hotel, so you would think they would want to make a good impression right? Wrong! It's an absolute dump!!! The decor is completely dated, the lights are too bright, so at night, instead of seeing the georgeous view of the entire city, all you see is a reflection of yourself sipping a cocktail! The windows are even scratched and dirty. The music sucks too, they were playing the same song over and over and over, i counted 8 times, and I finally asked them to change the music, so then they put on another CD and it kept skipping, so they shut the whole thing off. Oh, and it closes at 10:30! What kind of bar closes that early!?! So can you get a good drink at this bar? No! They charge $8 bucks for a martini, but it's mostly sugar, and very little alcohol.

The nail in the coffin for my rating on this hotel was the pool. You would expect a hotel this size (2 towers, and 30+ stories) would have a large pool, and a really nice relaxing cabana area for you to enjoy your vacation! Not this place. The pool and sundeck are an absolute dump. The size of the pool is about the same as the large hot tub they had when I stayed at Raddison in Phoenix... I kid you not, I think you could fit about 5 people in there. Everything is so worn and dated, and it's not inviting at all, so I spent zero time there, and was highly disapointed.

Parking is $18 dollars a day for valet, and you can call down for your car during "non peak" hours, it usually takes about 5-10 minutes, so that was convenient, and it included in and out priveledges. Be aware, the hotel must have bought off the city of Dallas, because there is plenty of on street parking, but it is ENTIRELY LABELED AS NO PARKING - TOW AWAY ZONE, so you can't park on the street unless you want to get towed. There is a self park lot for $10 bucks a day, but it does not include in and out priveledges, and you have to hike up a little hill to get back to the hotel. There is a train station adjacent to the hotel property with a tunnel that takes you there. The tunnel is kind of cool, it has a lot of history about Dallas with interactive talking displays. The train can get you to the hot spots downtown such as the west end, it's just the next stop right next to the hotel, and also to the airport if you take the commuter train, so you might not even need a car. Do not try to walk anywhere from this hotel, the neighborhood is very shady, and you have to walk through a tunnel to get to downtown, which might be kinda dangerous at night.

Overall, I would never stay at this hotel again. The Hyatt needs to revoke their franchise on this place, and this place needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt... Or, I guess they might be able to save this beautiful landmark if they just remodeled the entire thing. It's far from being a 4 star hotel as priceline rates it!

15 Thank djrobsd
waco , texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2006

Okay-- the Hyatt is huge and very Hyatt-ish, but that can be good. We told reception at check in it was our anniversary and they immediately offered us an outstanding upgrade--even though we initially booked thru hotwire for $89! Our suite was very nicely appointed-two showers which was great for getting ready in the AM. I found our concierge to be extremely helpful booking reservations etc. The spinning cocktail lounge was a riot--very Love Boat meets the Jetsons --all in all , super fun time in Dallas for very little dough!

Stayed November 2005
4 Thank TeamBell
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2006

Characteristic of Hyatts, this hotel has is designed around a massive atrium. Every room in the hotel opens onto the atrium. This could be a lovely design feature, but turns out to be a nuisance because the hotel hasn't bothered to install seals around the room doors. As a result, the noise from the lobby bar, reverberating through the atrium, is quite audible inside the room.

To add insult to injury, the hotel backs onto a busy train station, so if you're unfortunately enough to be situated on that side of the hotel, you'll also hear train whistles.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2006

I promised my wife and self that I would sit down and do this hotel review. My wife was attending a seminar and I was planning to take care of some business in Dallas. My wife was excited that we could couple up and maybe get to share some one on one time for a change. Internet costs $40.00 per 72 hours. Parking is not in and out after 2 hours 10.00 charge this got old early. Overcharded for 2 cab rides same night. This part of DT dallas is not the cleanest or safest to travel by foot. Hotel beds and Pillows = Comfortable, Room temp could not get below 74 degrees. Hot as hell in the day. Lounge = $10 drinks watered down, Food= terrible. $18 for club sandwich and tea, bread over-toasted (fell apart in hand)Wife ordered soup - $18 as well and tasted bland., Felt like a prisoner. No fresh air in hotel. Checked out after the first full day second night. Toilet paper .12per foot(kidding), charges everywhere and for everything, tip this one, that one. Dang, I can carry my own luggage, walk to my own car, park my car, wipe my own butt, burn my own toast and screw up my own drinks thank you. Advised of checkout intent and left hotel at 9am. Charged me $75 additional for early checkout (guess I should have waited till noon). Total cost for 2 nights $443.00 w/ taxes and parking excluding $40 internet charge. Tips, taxi, room for 2 nights and 36 hours in hotel ran over $600. Moved to Hotel in Las Colinas (Irvin)- 3 Nights w/ tax $184 total, free internet. Took 15 minutes to drive to Hyatt Downtown leaving at 7:15am and 18 minutes in the afternoon to pick up wife at Hyatt. Had a blast in Las Colinas, saw Bill Parcells in small italian resturant off of Oconnor street, very professional area, very clean area, safe Hotel stay, free parking, downtown easy access, drinks are considerably cheaper ($2.50- $4.00) than downtown area which were all 10.00 each. The "O Bar" on Main Street is very cool. Nice looking, fun, young crowd (21-49). Drinks are 10 bucks each w/ no cover. Expensive but well worth the trip. No Hyatt No Way! Over rated. Felt like I was living in an aquarium.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2006

My wife and I stayed here over Christmas and were disappointed with the bland quality of the hotel. Though our room had a lovely and comfortable king-sized bed, it lacked adequate closet space (a couple of shelves and five hangers on an open rack), had a poorly positioned TV with just a few channels, and had no mini-bar (but had bottled water at $5 each!) Any Holiday Inn or other mid-range hotel could better this!

Customer service at the Hyatt was also average. Counter staff couldn’t manage a smile or friendly greeting either at check-in or departure, and a bartender took ten minutes to bring us our check, even though we were two of just four people at the bar – he even found time to serve and check a new customer before finally tending to us. Even though restaurant waiters and porters were friendly, there was a discernible lack of customer focus…yet, of course, staff expected to be tipped as if it was their divine right.

The other highly annoying aspect of the Hyatt is the lack of parking. Options are valet parking at $18 per night or a nearby lot that costs a whopping $8 each time you leave! How can a hotel with 1,200 rooms have no reasonable parking facilities, especially in a city like Dallas where a car is essential?

With so many decent mid- and upper-range hotels to choose from in Dallas, it surprised me that the Hyatt has done nothing to attract visitors. Perhaps it relies on business and convention customers; but my wife and I won’t be going there again.

• Stayed December 2005