“Parking Unacceptable, Otherwise a Nice Stay Overall”

Hyatt Regency Dallas
Ranked #24 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were in Dallas for the Rock and Roll half marathon and wanted to be near the start. As Hyatt Platinum members the ability to get a late check out made the Hyatt the logical choice (given the rate was fair as well) over the other hotels near the start. We stayed two nights over the weekend.

Unfortunately, the hotel was rather difficult to get to, but its not their fault. You could see it....but because of construction it was challenging to actually get to the hotel. But, after several frustrating circles around the nearby blocks we finally got in. One solid negative of this hotel.....they have a large attached parking structure, that they only use for valet.

PROBLEM: Unacceptably, they do not allow self park guests to go in the attached garage. They send self park guests down to a remote lot at the bottom of the hill. For the $19 per day self park rate one would expect that they would allow parking in the garage. Their excuse when asked about it “oh we don’t run parking” – Well, you know what......you may not run it but you are their biggest customer, and its attached to your hotel....so fix it. Let the darn valets walk! That being said its not a bad walk if the weather is nice, but if you have heavy bags there is a pretty good hill. The valet was I believe $27 a night. Our friends used the valet and it was horribly slow. Slow as in that we were already on the freeway (after walking to the remote lot) before their car ever made it down. So, the parking situation is a negative.

Okay, now that we have that negative done, lets go on to the positives.

Initially they had us checked into rooms looking over the freeway but kindly worked with us to change to city view. Although the train tracks and station are on the side we moved to, we never had any major noise issues from the trains. The check in staff was friendly and immediately offered us the 2pm check and free internet that we are allowed as Platinum members. Normal check out is noon and there is normally a fee for the internet. They also worked with us to find rooms that fit our desired location. We skipped the automated check in kiosks (Come On Hyatt....get rid of these stupid things....cool at Hyatt Place limited service, but of Place at Hyatt Regency and Grand)

The two story lobby is in great condition and the staff was very welcoming and appears to have been recently remodeled. The elevators seemed to handle the number of guests well. Only once did we have to wait, but it was just after a large meeting got out. The first floor lobby has the concierge, who was helpful both times we asked questions. Also on the first floor is some guest seating, and a casual fast coffee / bagel shop. There is also direct tunnel access to Union Station (DART / Amtrak) as well as Reunion Tower. We wanted to do the observation deck at Reunion Tower, but the weather was hazy so we did not bother. The restaurants and bar are located on the upper lobby floor. The bar staff is efficient though not very engaging, waitresses were spotty. Drinks are WAY overpriced, even by most Hyatt standards. I guess its because there are not many options right out their door. Our friends had dinner late Friday evening and their food was fairly priced and tasty. We all had a lunch buffet on Sunday and it was good value. Of course as with most full service hotels breakfast is not included.

The room we had was a very nice King room with a work desk, and sofa or chair. The rooms have nice HDTV’s. The room also had a refrigerator in the cabinet. Unfortunately AC blower can not be left on for white noise. The rooms were spotless and smelled fresh. The bed was comfortable and the had very nice pillows. (You must request foam if you do not like feather). They do not use fitted sheets on the bed, which unfortunately leads to the sleeping surface sheet coming loose easily. There were plenty of plugs in the room to charge your personal electronic devices as well as plenty of lighting options. One neat yet annoying feature was the nightlight that comes on from under one of the nightstands when your feet pass it. Neat at first distracting after that. We ended up covering it with a spare pillow. The room was very modern and clean.

The curtains do a FABULOUS job of blocking out light. They are electric and operate in a channel and one could not ask for better light blocking. The rooms have a nice sized window and we enjoyed looking at the city, especially the light show of the Omni hotel. Our room did face the train station, which was slightly concerning to us at first, but the trains kept the horns muted so we found out sleep was not interrupted. We were on a high floor so low floors may not be as favorable for quiet.

The bathroom was nice size, modern, and well appointed with plenty of fluffy towels and nice bath products. There was a nicely sized shower, but no tub which suits us well. The only negative is that you get cold water on you when you first turn on the shower since the faucet is on the side of the glass door that does not open, thus you have to lean your whole body in. Not horrible but annoying.

PROBLEM: At 6am on our first morning the shower started running water and could not be shut off. Not sure if it happened again the next morning as we were already heading to our race by then.

Housekeeping was good. When we called down for extra pillows and towels they were delivered as promised. When we asked for our room to be made up early on Saturday the cheerfully took care of it. The note we left for extra towels and laundry bags was taken care of as well.

We did not get the opportunity to check out the gym or pool.

Adjacent to the hotel there are not many dining options other than one deli, though it was tasty. That being said....within half a mile there are multiple restaurant choices in West End. We enjoyed our walk over to that area both nights for dinner. As with any city, watch your surroundings, but we did not feel unsafe at all. The hotel was also convenient to our events at the convention center and DART via Union Station connected to the hotel.

We would recommend this location and would stay here again if as long as the rate is acceptable, though the parking situation needs to be addressed by allowing self park guests in the garage. Until the parking issues are addressed, we will likely consider other options.

Room Tip: High Floor, and facing away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pcsanity
Write a ReviewReviews (4,322)

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I was there for three days for a conference. Property appears to have been very recently renovated, very little "wear" in both public areas and my room. Room attractively furnished. The property borders on several convenient but noisy areas: one side is adjacent to a busy freeway and the other adjacent to a train station. That, combined with an atrium-style design, makes finding a quiet room a challenge. The desk staff is aware of this however and do what they can to place light sleepers in lower-noise areas (and can offer white noise generators to help). Staff in general were pleasant. friendly, and helpful. Housekeeping was a bit uneven: room made up at 9am one day, 3pm the next. Food options were excellent. In fact I had some of the best "conference" food I've had in a long time.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper mention it at check-in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I am a HUGE basketball fan and have had reservations for the Final Four for almost a year. In looking at the schedule for Final Four events I noticed most of the events were downtown Dallas instead of near the stadium. So I called the downtown Hyatt to see if I could change my hotel, I told the person at reservations exactly what I was doing and why. I was surprised that they had a room downtown, when she asked me if I wanted her to cancel the other reservation I said yes, but make sure I'm in before you do :-) About two hours later I received an e-mail cancelling the previous reservation ....but nothing for the new one??? I waited 2-3 hours and still nothing ... I decided to be safe I would call to verify, ...no reservation, I told the story ...3 TIMES to THREE DIFFERENT people and was told that the reservation was put under a different date ..and that my other reservation had in fact been cancelled. I spoke the THREE MORE people to explain .... a total of SIX, and was told that they could get me a room and the original location but the rate was now increased by 50%!!!
I can understand for a event like this the downtown hotel was full and they couldn't "make it right" ...but to come back with trying to raise my original reservation by 50% completely STUNNED me.
I suggest avoiding the Hyatt. I know I will.

Room Tip: Do not expect them to "make it right".
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank rogerzd
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Our connecting flight to SLC was cancelled and we arrived in Dallas at 10pm during an electric storm. Since our group of 6 included my elderly parents, we decided it best to find 3 rooms for the night, then fly out at noon the next day.

The Hyatt is directly attached to the airport for extreme efficiency. I had little to no expectations other than clean sheets and decent room service. After an incredibly long and delayed flight we arrived at this gorgeous oasis. WOW! I've seen a lot of hotels in all of my years traveling but this place it truly beautiful. Modern, new and efficient. The rooms are all large (based on our 3) and finished with touch screen everything....lighting (low & high), temp controls, black out & sheer window treatments, etc. The baths black granite finishes including a deep tub and separate shower were truly stunning. I could have just hung out in the bathroom!

By the time we were checked in it was quite late but everyone was hungry. 3 individually ordered room services arrived in lightening speed with really great food. Though too tired to recount the specifics, we had no problem finishing our meals than hitting the sheets.

I can honestly say that if I ever plan to visit Dallas, I would highly recommend this Hyatt for its beautiful rooms and convenience to the airport!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We really loved staying at this hotel. It was clean, and in walking distance to the areas we needed to go. The staff was very helpful and nice. Everything about the hotel was really great. The only problem is if you are a light sleeper. We were on the 14th floor and we still could hear the trains passing all the time. Also, we could hear everyone walking and passing past our door. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room on the opposite side of where the trains pass in front of the hotel. We loved the decor of the room and the views we had. The trains didnt bother us, but it bothered our friends. So it is actually your preference. We kept the shades up at night so that we could see the beautiful city lights and the other hotel lights that had a show of lights on their building. It was gorgeous. Would we stay there again? Absolutely!!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request to have your room on the opposite of the hotel front entrance...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank marilyn1260
Reviewed March 25, 2014

The room itself was very nice, but the noise from the next room was too much. It sounded like the two guys talking next door were in our room with us. You can hear every opening and closing door up and down the hallway. It is not that the other guests were overly loud, but that walls are paper thin. The lobby bar appears nice but it is hard to get service. My group waited 35 minutes to be served at the bar, then as soon as we took a seat at a table were told the bar was closing and we had to leave. The manager didn't have a problem with us ordering a $200+ round of top shelf drinks, but had no intention of letting us drink it there and was exceptionally rude asking us to leave. We were a quiet group just looking to talk quietly over a drink so the armed police officer was a little over the top. She did allow us to take them to our room, but if I wanted to drink in my room I would have gotten a beer at 7-11. I was also not interested in having a group in my room, see point #1 about the noise travel between rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Hyatt was one of many conference hotels for the conference I attended last week. I "thought" it was relatively close to the convention center, but it was not - a $10 cab ride or the shuttle when it was running. Check-in was smooth and the lobby area seemed efficient and the concierge knowledgeable about the area, The room was a bit noisy (train) but very clean and well maintained. However, the lounge and restaurant was not ready for the number of chemistry geeks (like me) who showed up over the course of the convention. Lounge service was impossibly slow and inaccurate, food was difficult to find late at night. Overall, I was pretty lukewarm about the property as a whole.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the train station
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Harry E
HyattRegencyDallas, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for recent stay with us at Hyatt Regency Dallas. Please allow me to seize this opportunity to personally apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. I understand your frustrations and appreciate your comments. I am, however, glad to hear that check-in was smooth and the concierge staff was accommodating for you. I truly hope we get the chance to have you back again!

Fred Euler