“Convenient location, friendly staff”

Hyatt Regency Dallas
Ranked #21 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Convenient location, friendly staff”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival I had a few minute wait to be checked in. This was reasonable considering the hotel was at capacity. The person checking me in was super friendly and engaged me in conversation and offered suggestions of what to do in Dallas.

The room was average. Beds a not that comfortable. We had a bath to that nada drainage issue that plagued us the whole stay. An inconvenience but you just had to wait 20 minutes after each shower. There was ample desk room. The TV was a bit small for the size of the room. They do have all electronic window treatments which were fun to use. We had a city view room which was nice. The windows are not sealed well enough and lots of the noise from the trains going by filter into the room.

Room service was prompt. Food was average. The Centenial restaurant had a nice breakfast selection. The only complaint I had was that the toasters took nearly 15 minutes to toast two pieces of bread. Service was friendly.

There is a FedEx Office on site with reasonable hours. They turned around a project for me very quickly.

It was nearly impossible to find the elevator to the Wolfgang Puck restaurant in Runion Tower. We were foiled for three days in figuring it out. We finally asked someone who knew. Definitely need much better signage to direct traffic.

The Hyatt Regency is located on the DART light rail system. This makes it extremely convenient to get around town. It costs only $5 per day for a ticket. You access the system through a tunnel in the hotel. It is also within 10 minutes, by foot, to shopping and restaurants.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Todd H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a business conference in April 2013. To start it is a huge property, so there are innately pluses and minuses that go with that size. Pluses include plenty of amenities and services available on property from a Fed Ex Office and good sized fitness center to multiple dining options. On the downside, harder to keep up with the details expected of a property that ranks itself as "top of class;" such as the issues I had in my room from a broken hair dryer to an entire section of my room's electric not working, to consistency of newspaper delivery (supposed to get it every day in a 6-day stay, got a total of 3 papers - 50% success rate). The other MAJOR issue I had with my stay was the teen girl volleyball tournament also at the property during my stay. So, one of the advantages of a large property (having run one with over 1500 rooms I know of what I speak) is you SHOULD be able to put groups somewhat together within the hotel. Guess what, this was not the case for the multiple groups at the hotel during my stay. So, those of us there for business had "the pleasure" of dealing with noisy teens at all hours of the day and night. I realize how exciting it was for them, but as I had early and long days, the perpetual noise issues (from hallway gatherings at all hours, to door slamming as they gathered in rooms, etc.) not great for the "tranquility" that this Hyatt guarantees. On a positive note, the staff I did encounter were always very polite and kind. Finally, who designed the room set up? The coffee "fixings" and pot are hidden and in a little alcove and in order to use them you have to move them all the way across the desk/bureau set up as no plugs near where they are "stored." As to decor, I have to say it distinctly reminds me of Aloft or Element properties and I don't mean that as a compliment. So, while my stay was fine, for the price, I'll find something else next time I'm in Dallas.

Room Tip: Two distinct sections that aren't joined, so if going with multiple people make sure you request...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank corbyandjen
Boston
Reviewed April 25, 2013

What is crazy is i had same experience in the Hyatt Baltimore Inner Harbor, there it was more paper thin walls here it is freeways and 5 train tracks, and the housekeepers yelling to each other down the hall. The staff could not have been nicer. Moved from floor 10 to 23 which helped but the train whistles/horns still are loud.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My granddaughter and I recently stayed for four days at the Hyatt regency in downtown Dallas. I rarely stay at Hyatt's because their rooms tend to be small, but I was so very favorably impressed with the service from everyone at this hotel, I will stay there again and will consider other Hyatt's in other cites.( I do love their resorts). From check in to valet, to bellman, to housekeeping, to the restaurant staff, to the concierge, everyone fulfilled my requests and offered to do more and did it with a smile. The rooms were fine. Loved the lounge chair in the bedroom, and each room had a small refrigerator- not just a cooler filled with things they want you to buy. :-) we were in a Sunset Suite so we had two rooms, and the suite was a great size to host a group from my granddaughters volleyball team. The bathrooms are small, but they were well lit, and the closet was ample. The shades on the windows were the complete block out shades and I loved that. Like my sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Dallas for a quick business trip where I also had a bit of free time to get out and connect with some friends in the area. Room was clean, modern, and a good size - had a great view. Staff was wonderfully friendly and helpful - especially the valet and the guy at the front desk who helped check-in. It somehow came up that he (@ the front desk) was from New Orleans - where my family also originates and he really made me feel like a welcome guest...much like everyone I encountered at this hotel. I ordered breakfast and it was better than the average hotel room service breakfast.

Other thing I'd note is that the location is very convenient for both business and pleasure. I was only a 10-15 drive from my business commitments in Dallas traffic and less than 5 minutes from where my young, hip cousin lives (which confirmed that this hotel was in the heart of things ;).

I parked my car at his apt bldg and we walked and took the free downtown air taxi for the rest of the evening to meet up with friends. Overall, a great business/fun trip!

My minor complaints - I had to switch rooms when I needed to extend my stay an additional night -apparently another guest had specifically requested the room I was in for the following night. I was also overcharged for Internet on my bill - likely due to confusion over my room switch. It was a pain in the butt getting that error fixed with their billing department. Still, I'd stay here again for the great price, nice rooms and people, and good location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - I got to experience both the city view and the park view and mildly prefered...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Trying to reserve a room on the phone with Hyatt reservations for my conference dates was very time consuming and very frustrating. Reservations told me there were not enough rooms reserved by the conference for several of the days I requested and I would need to pay the full rate for the non-reserved days. This was confusing since I was reserving my room 2 months in advance. I had to contact the conference coordinator to get all of the days for my conference at the conference rate. I suspect there is a corporate reservations call center that is not within the hotel itself but somewhere else because they were not helpful at all and had no interest in helping me.

After an eight hour filight I arrvied at the Hyatt Regency Dallas. There was a hotel greeter who met me as I got off the shuttle and provided very good directions to the check in desk. I requested an early check-in and got it when I arrived. The check in process was quick, painless, and courteous. My stay was for 7 days for a business conference. The large room was as seen in the pictures on the hotel website. The in-room safe was large enough for my laptop. The bed was comfortable, temperature control was good, and there were 3 pillows for each bed. The bathroom was large enough and well laid out. I was on the 5th floor with the city view. I had read online complaints about the train noise; it did not bother me at all.

Room cleanup needs to be consistent, one day I needed to call the front desk to request room cleanup around 2:30pm to clean my room, room cleanup ends at 5pm. Another time room cleanup gave me new towels but forgot to take my old towels. I belong to the Hyatt gold club and was supposed to receive a free newspaper each day, several days I did not get a newspaper.

The Centenial restaurant has a limited dinner menu for a hotel this size. The breakfast menu is also limited. The breakfast buffet was good to try once but not again for the $17.50 price. The one breakfast meal that was a good value was the 2 eggs and meat of your choice; choose ham, it is a ham steak. The wait staff move fast and constantly checking if you need anything or are re-filling your coffee or juice, that is appreciated.

The conference space was very good, well laid out, and had a large restroom facility for men and women. There were both electronic signage (hard to read) and large posters for each session; there were also bar code readers to record my attendance to each session, I did not have to sign a sign in sheet. The chairs were too hard for any session lasting more than one hour. Some of the session rooms did not have clear audio and the presenters sounded fuzzy or were too soft.

There is an under ground tunnel between the Hyatt and the train station that is well lit and comes out on the inside of the building and next to the train station. These doors remain open after the train station doors are locked; you can still get back to the hotel from the side doors of the train station. I did not see any hotel security so if you use the underground tunnel at night go as a group for safety.

The checkout process was also quick and painless and courteous. The Super Shuttle has scheduled pickup times at the Hyatt to DFW so you don't have to make arrangements to get back to the airport.

I hope this helps anyone planning to stay at the Hyatt Regency Dallas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank surf_sand2013
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dallas, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We're glad you enjoyed the new guestroom and your stay with us.

Fred Euler
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Well run, neat clean and professional, all was excellent, except the internet was a bit slow. Definitely would stay there again. Convenient to the DART. Just a few short blocks away from the restaurant district.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your Five Star review on Trip Advisor! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll come back to stay with us again soon.

Fred Euler