“Price saved it”

Hyatt Regency Dallas
Ranked #25 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here as part of a meeting at Union Station. First the room was very nice furnishing and appearance wise. I was on the ninth floor with an outside window overlooking the rail yard. But this was the noisiest room I can ever remember. Between the elevators and the trains not a real restful night. If the price wasn't so good this would've been a poor or worse rating. Staff was very friendly. Bar was okay but not really into that and it got crowded and noisy. Wouldn't choose to stay here if it weren't for the function I was attending and I'm not sure I'll be back.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank David L

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I loved my room. One of the most modern rooms I've stayed in. Had several new upgrades and really set the room apart form all the competition. Push button shades, large flat screen, ipod radio, very nice! The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The location is great and easy access to getting around Dallas. Our room offered an amazing view of the city. Once they complete their remodel this will be a killer place as some of the hotel was quite noisy and made it hard to sleep in.

We visited Monduels (Hotel Bar) and I was hoping to find them here on TripAdvisor because I would rate them separate from the hotel. The drinks were good and so was the pizza, but I had the Seared Scallops. They were disgusting. One of the worst meals I can recall having in a long time. I would have complained, but our waitress was more concerned with selling drinks than food. The friendly guy who cleaned up the plates was nice, but didn't speak much English so I had a hard time communicating what my problem was so I just let it go. I WOULD NOT EAT HERE UNLESS YOU ONLY WANTED BAR FOOD WITH BAR QUALITY SERVICE. It was way below the standard I have come to expect with Hyatt. Days later I am still upset about it.

I love that they offered valet parking and assistance with your luggage, but felt like they were pushy so they could earn a tip. It was annoying when we checked in as we had several people wanting to help us with our bags. We had to say NO way too many times. It went beyond being friendly and helpful, to being obnoxious.

I'm really glad the rooms were nice, other wise I would have given a 2 star rating and I fell a little bad about only a 3 start rating, but between the food and valet I can't give it the 5 star it should be getting. If in Dallas again I would return, but I would consider avoiding the valet and most certainly would not be eating at the bar.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a remodeled room. They are amazing. A city view is nice, but you have noise from th...
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great check-in with Jennifer at the registration desk, and Ulysses, the gentleman who assisted with bags. Excellent check-out with Maria who resolved an issue with our experience (a phone that would not turn off and rang every hour like a wake-up call). Renovated rooms are modern and lovely. My husband enjoyed the view from the room of the grassy knoll and downtown Dallas. We look forward to staying here again with a quiet phone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Check-in. Caleb was very friendly and helpful, but when he asked which side of the hotel I wanted, I said I didn't care. I didn't think at the time, and he didn't mention, that there is train noise on one side of the hotel (should've read TA reviews before!). He proactively offered me a late checkout, as I had platinum status with Hyatt.

Room. This was the coolest (cool as in hip) hotel room I've ever stayed in. The decor was very modern; the shades were controlled electronically. Just very chic. The train noise -and some hallway noise-was an issue. I probably would've called down to change rooms but I didn't want to be one of "those guests" after the lovely check-in (and I got a cheaper rate on an opaque booking site). It seemed like you could connect your laptop to the large flatscreen TV easily, but this is beyond my technological knowledge! There was a USB and HDMI outlet near the TV at least. Lots of electrical outlets. And a motion detector night light that glowed blue and at floor-level. Every hotel room should have that! In the morning, I kept hearing someone hammering from renovations below and thinking it was housekeeping knocking.
I was happy to see there was a bathtub in my room, though I would not be surprised if the rooms with only a king bed-as opposed to my two double beds-only had a shower.

Location. Very good. Actually connected to Union Station with DART and TRE. Close enough to the Sixth Floor museum, convention center, and the Arts District.

Breakfast. Good buffet. Well-stocked, beautifully presented. Omelet station, eggs, bacon, cereal, various breads, etc. On the recommendation of my server, Maria, however, I ordered the Mesquite BBQ eggs benedict, just for something different. It was a bit to early for that. And I'm not that much of a BBQ fan. Seeing I didn't really like it, she told me I could pull something off the buffet. That, my friends, is service!

Honestly, I initially was disappointed when I found out I was staying here. I had a relatively cheap rate booked with the Adolphus Hotel, and I went to an opaque booking site to save money. From what I understand, the two are dramatically different: Hyatt is sleek and modern, and the Adolphus has old-world charm. I love old hotels. But Hyatt, with its fabulous service and ultra-modern rooms, really won me over. I would've given the highest TA rating, but the train noise-which is apparently avoidable-dampened my experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the side with the trains!
Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank artemis021
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We choose to stay at this Hotel because it was linked with a underground walkway with the Union Station where would have got on the Amtrak to New York but this was cancelled because of weather. The hotel and the staff was great well trained and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rocco_the_PI
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here two nights for cheerleading championships. Very pretty from outside, rooms are nice on the inside. linens are nice but carpets are a little dirty. we had a corner room with a bigger bathroom - thought great. then i realized we were next to the elevator. also we were on the Union Station side. we were on the 12th floor but could hear the trains. I am a good sleeper but between the elevator and trains i was pretty tired in the am.
otherwise it is well located to the west end with lots of great stuff to do within walking distance. eating in the hotel, as with most, is expensive.
most interesting part was the reunion tower with the Wolfgang Pucks. we went up for drinks both nights. Very cool!!! revolving restaurant and drinks were not as expensive as you might think. It was worth staying here just to sit high up over dallas.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms by elevator and on the Union Station side.
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our company just had a convention for 1200 people and the staff delivered flawlessly! The food was fantastic, service top notch and the room updates look great. I am planning a personal trip and will absolutely book my hotel here. I would rate this in my top 3 of the 80+ conventions I have done over the years.