“Texas Hospitality”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Aledo, Texas
“Texas Hospitality”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife and I went for a weekend getaway and to attend an event at the convention center. We had never been to the hotel or Reunion Tower. I was a little concerned when the valet parking wasn't the smoothest operating, but it was a little busy when we arrived. The rest of check in was fine and our room was ready on time. They had shuttle service to the convention center that was never more than a few minutes away. The Wolfgang Puck restaurant at the top of Reunion tower was great. We did not have reservations but seating was available in the bar and the service was as good as the food. Our room was on the same floor as the penthouse, when we returned we quickly discovered there was a party in the penthouse. We called and asked if it would be possible to move and they were great. They sent someone to help us get our stuff toghether and had us in another room in minutes. This was the kind of customer service you just don't see much anymore. Eveyone we encountered at the hotel or restaurant was eager to make our stay as nice as possible. Keep that customer service attitude going.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dallas, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind comments about your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Dallas. Your feedback regarding our customer service "making your stay as nice as possible" is very much appreciated. We are pleased you enjoyed our convenience to the Dallas Convention Center and landmark Reunion Tower - especially dining in Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck. We look forward to your return soon.

Fred Euler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We recently stayed here, for 3 nights, to attend Europa 2011 at the convention center. The hotel is beautiful and has a resort like atmosphere. After trying to make it to the Pannini Oven restaurant 3 times (always closed and help had some sort of excuse), we finally learned on the 3rd try that the resaurant had been closed for a month. Funny thing, is when checking out, the front desk help did not even know that it had been closed.

Most of the wait staff at the bar were very dry, cut you off in mid-question and not too attentive. However, the wait staff at the "Centennial Cafe" were very nice, and accommodating. Since the Oven restaurant was closed the waiter had the chef to make us a very tasy pizza (not on the menu).

All in all it was a nice visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dallas, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post this review of Hyatt Regency Dallas. Your positive comments about our beautiful hotel with its resort-like atmosphere and our accommodating servers at Centennial Cafe are appreciated. We are pleased you enjoyed your "chef prepared pizza" from Parrino's Oven. We have shared your comments about Parrino's Oven hours and Monduel's bar wait staff with our hotel team. (We do modify operating hours of restaurants at certain times of the week/year based on business levels.) Thank you again for providing your feedback; we look forward to your next stay with us.

Oklahoma
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Both times were for 5 days and both were business trips. The hotel itself is fine. However, the staff is not. I was given key cards to my room at check-in. I went to the room and the key cards didn't work. I hauled my luggage back down to the front desk to tell them the keys didn't work. They acted as though I just didn't know how to work them. I hauled my luggage back to the room and tried again. I had a friend try. No luck. At this point I was very annoyed because the staff acted like this was somehow my fault. I went back downstairs and finally a worker went up to the room with me, and sure enough, he could not get the keys to work either. He told me the lock was broken and maintenance would be there to help. The maintenance man arrived and we discovered that there was someone in the room! They had accidentally given me an already occupied room. When I went back down to the desk, they asked me who was in the room and if I knew them. What in the world? I have no idea as it was their mistake. Eventually, I got a room. However, this experience made me not want to stay here again. I understand mistakes happen; however, the hotel staff should have admitted the mistake and helped me, rather than acting like I was too stupid to use a key card.

Room Tip: the rooms that overlook the bar area are very loud!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank missH2525
Thank you for this feedback from your recent stay. I regret that you experienced issues with your guest room keys during your stay; this is not our typical service at Hyatt Regency Dallas. I do hope that you will return to visit us again and contact my office during your next stay so we may ensure your accommodations exceed your expectations. Thank you for choosing Hyatt.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The roads immediately around the Hyatt Regency are a little confusing, but the fact is that it's right off the highway and at the same time, right on the edge of downtown, walking distance to the West End eateries and right next to the light trail to venture to other parts, so though slightly remote for a downtown location, it still has some big wins.

The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating, As it was very hot when we arrived the water flavored with fresh fruit available by the front doors and front desk was a nice touch. The room was high and had a nice view of downtown including the JFK site. The room wasn't overly spacious and in good condition despite being a little dated, but otherwise comfortable.

I'm not sure I understand the whining of other reviewers about getting nickel and dimed. Full service hotels typically charge for Internet and downtown hotel locations charge for parking and usually only have valet parking available, That's to be expected and the valet parking and bellman crew here were very nice and efficient and the vale parking price was less than in many other cities, including Austin and Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: If you want a view, request a high room facing downtown Dallas.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bill L
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dallas, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you for your thoughtful review of Hyatt Regency Dallas. I’m glad to hear that had a great stay and experienced the service of our friendly and accommodating staff. Sounds like you enjoyed the view from your guest room, and I want to share with you that we will be undergoing a complete guest rooms renovation in 2012. I’m glad that you found our location convenient, within walking distance of West End and with direct access to DART light rail. Please return to Hyatt Regency Dallas again soon.

durham, nc
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is my second stay at Hyatt regency dallas. (my prior stay in May 2011). Both times I felt disappointed. We had a great start- valet very attentive, and carried our bags to check in. Then the trouble began.
Hyatt is trying to be a "pet friendly" hotel, it has a "few" rooms which it made pet friendly. We had tried for two days the week prior to make a reservation for a pet friendly room. When we called, they said the manager was out and this person was the only person who could make it. Then we called central reservations, same thing, called and left a message with no return call. We went ahead and booked online and left comments about a small pet and how we weren't called back. We also upgraded to the city view "VIP" program.

When we got to the desk, the CSR did not have a king size bed, then did not have a pet friendly room on the city view. Only left with the 4th floor (which we had already stayed at, before they became pet friendly). I understand they only have a few pet rooms available, but how about the fact that their customer service is so poor they don't even return your calls? I told them we could wait no longer and went ahead and booked reservation. If they would have called me sooner, i could have booked at another place, They are not the only hotel in this town. But it was too late! Checking in at 10 pm, where else were we going to go? we got stuck on the 4th floor.

The rooms are a disappointment. Again being a 4 star hotel, you would expect everything to be modernized. The hyatt is an old hotel with some minor covers to make it look "updated." the furniture is so old, its probably from 1980, old wood, and the desk looks like something I had in 5th grade. I am not sure if the upper level rooms have better furniture, but I was depressed when I was in the room. At least this time the bathroom was clean. Like other reviewers, the previous stay, the bathroom was so dirty, with mold growing on the tile- needed major cleaning of the caulk.

The bed was comfortable, the TV a large LG, no DVD. We had breakfast as compensation after I told them they were not the only hotel in town. The breakfast was good but on the greasy side. We ordered egg white omlets, side of bacon and coffee. Food was brought up promptly.

We visited wolfgang puck 560 and def agree, it is the highlight of the stay. The food is definitely overpriced and the bottle of champagne as well but you are paying for the view. I understand. The food was very good though. I would recommend the bar area, where you don't have to make reservations and you can just plop down on the couches and enjoy the view.

We had also asked for late check out and paid the extra fee. Upon check out, we scrutinized our bill, good thing! because they tried to charge an extra day of valet parking and an extra day of pet fees. Be careful and ask for your final bill. It saved us 70+ dollars and hassle of phone call to argue.

All in all, go for the reunion tower/wolfgang puck's view, but skip the 3 start trying to be 4 star hotel and stay somewhere else. bleh.

Room Tip: upgrade to the city view, VIP status
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank interviewqueen
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dallas, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Dallas. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding our new dog-friendly pet program and have shared these comments with our rooms division. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your evening in Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck as well as the amazing views. I do want to share with you that we will be undergoing a complete guest rooms renovation in 2012 and hope you will return to experience the transformation and share your feedback. We do appreciate your choosing Hyatt.

Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed at this hotel during a recent five day seminar. This is a beautiful hotel with many amenities. Staff was very courteous and accommodating. Be sure to ask about "incidental" charges.

Room Tip: The view of the skyline from the front of the hotel is wonderful. There were trains that ran often...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments about our courteous and accommodating staff at Hyatt Regency Dallas. It’s a pleasure to hear that you experienced the authentic hospitality of our staff during your recent business seminar. We look forward to your return.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a convention. It's definitely a business/convention type hotel (wouldn't recommend it for a relaxing getaway or anything). Very busy with a lot going on! The hotel is very pretty and very large with several restaurants and a coffee shop that serves Starbucks drinks. Didn't have any issues. Room was nice and was clean. I was in a room that faced the train tracks though so it was pretty loud at times but not a huge deal.

The only complaint I have is the pool area. At a hotel this extravagent, I was also expecting a wonderful pool! However, the pool looked like it belonged at a Super 8 motel! There is a small, old hot tub on a concrete slab on one level and the next level has a very small pool with concrete blue, paint-chipped walls. It doesn't fit this hotel AT ALL and with 110 degree weather a pool is important! My suggestion to the hotel would be to decorate it to look a little nicer. Maybe some pretty plants, a better earth-tone paint job, or something to make it not seem so drab and depressing.

Another good thing is that the hotel is located on the DART train line which takes you through downtown. I would recommend hoping on and going to the "West End Historic District" which is just one stop away from the hotel!

All-in-all I had a good stay and would come back to this hotel again for business purposes.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review about your recent visit. We are pleased that you will return to Hyatt Regency Dallas for your next business trip. Sounds like you took advantage of our convenient location near West End via our direct connection to DART light rail at Union Station. I’m glad that you enjoyed our restaurant options and had a good stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.