“The Old Summit Hotel and former Holiday Inn - NOT Galleria actually.”

Wyndham Garden Dallas North
Ranked #127 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Dallas
“The Old Summit Hotel and former Holiday Inn - NOT Galleria actually.”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The owners bought this old hotel physical plant and are working very hard to turn it into something. Not sure what, but it is something...I guess? Lots of new money has gone into it, and it has a very large lounge and lobby area. The aesthetic is kind of hip and funky but not hipster. I met with some of my customers in the lobby and found a great location over by the bar where we could talk and not be disturbed. The service was excellent.
I've been here many times over the years, as the Summit and as a Holiday Inn, now Night. The location WILL be great when all the I35E and I635 construction is complete. For now, it is in the middle of a massive construction area that looks like a war zone. Saying "Galleria Area" is very misleading, but yes the Galleria is in the war zone too, 4 miles east. The area around this hotel is actually little Korea. There are fantastic 3rd world shopping markets (brand knock-offs? maybe?) near by. Plus, Korean, Asian, and Hispanic stores and places to eat. But getting around to these places is tricky and not recommended for a car you own. Have them take you in their van or drive a rental. The construction on the roads is massive.
If your preference is high end shopping, this is NOT the Galleria. If you like finding deals and don't like the high Galleria prices, this can be fun.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the North or East side. The construction is on the South and West side of the proper...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank joelinda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Was put up here by American Airlines due to weather issues and cancellations at the airport. Friendly and funny shuttle driver, friendly service at front desk. Lobby and public areas were pretty cool. My room was semi-okay, but could tell they were trying to "hip it up" at least. Two things that bothered me; a bottle of old chocolate milk was just sitting in the clean room when I walked in, and I got a 3AM wake up call I didn't request. (Probably a turn-up service since I forgot to tip the driver maybe?)
Bed was comfy. I grew up in the Dallas area in the 70's and 80's and remember this as the once hip "Summit Hotel." I can tell this new concept is cool, just not sure if this was the property to try converting.
I will say the the Americano Flatbread was really good in the restaurant. I normally wouldn't have eaten there, but since I had food vouchers from AA, I tried it and glad I did/

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank WallyKev67
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Where do I begin? Finding this place, an old building underneath the unending construction of the LBJ highway was a miracle in and of itself. The newer black Rolls Royce Phantom with Night H. on the plates parked in the front gave me hope that this place had a newly found glamour to it. The outside of the hotel remains dirty and dark like a Motel 6 built in the 70s. Dead plants and a run down parking lot greet you as you walk past the Rolls and into the lobby. Blue incandescent lights catch your attention as your eyes adjust to the inside which looks like Phyllis Diller with lots and lots of makeup on her 90 year old face. Better yet this is Alice in Wonderland on LSD. Very bright and trying to be edgy and hip. High back fuchsia chairs and a night club in the background. The club was empty and quiet on a Sunday night.

The rooms are accessed by a long side hallway where the elevator opens up with an avocado green carpeting just like the 70s. My room was on the 4th floor. I walked down long hallways with new carpeting and new paint that has already weathered. The black doors to each room look like they have been there for 20 years and yet they were most likely just painted. The rooms have old pine furniture and gold blinged out headboards. The carpeting has the long N logo which stands for Night Hotel.

What is this hotel trying to accomplish? I don't really know. Is it a hip club? No. It sits under a freeway like an old Denny's. Has it had a facelift? Yes! Construction tried to rip out the soul of this hotel firmly entrenched in the 70s. It is old and new at the same time. The pool area is trying to look like the cabanas at the Mandalay Bay.

Is this hotel meant to accommodate hip 20 somethings who decide they had too much to drink after a night of clubbing so they grab a hotel room? Maybe. All I know is that the beds were extremely comfortable and I got a great night of deep sleep. No noises were heard and no music was played. Staff seems on edge about what this hotel is trying to be but they were all very helpful and professional. I ended up liking the hotel with its quirks and odd decorations. Would I come back? Hell yes! If just for the sleep I had that night. Thanks Night Hotel. I don't know what you want to be but I felt comfortable as I rested in your room.

Room Tip: Keep an open mind and think you are in Vegas!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Rosie P
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Obvious construction in lobby, but good for them. Seemed like a modern upscale hotel at a bargain. The only negative part was getting to and from the hotel because of all the ongoing highway construction. Still receives 5 points.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank vanderm
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Although the staff was very nice and very helpful, the hotel looks like a construction site by day and is a nightclub by night. If you happen to return after 9:00 pm to the hotel, then bouncers are everywhere blocking access and asking you where you are going. Then there is the loud music all night and the fire alarm going on at 2:00 am because of the smoke they used in the nightclub (that's what the reception said when I called). If you need a hotel, avoid by all means. If you want not to drive after a night at a club, then it is the place for you!

3 Thank Hakim B

Travelers are raving about these Dallas hotels

Ohio
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My American Airlines flight was overbooked so got put up here for one night. During afternoon rush hour it was 30 mins from the airport which was an unpleasant surprise. So it did take 30 mins for the shuttle to get to/from the airport but it was when they said it would be. The shuttle the next morn at 7am was only 20 mins to airport and (interestingly enough) everyone in it was traveling via American Airlines. The hotel renovations mentioned in previous posts are still not done. I think I got one of the remodeled rooms with 2 beds but not 100% sure. It was an ok room. Everything appeared clean and the walls were freshly painted; so much so they still smelled a wee bit like paint. My room had a built in 1-person Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom but I did not use it; it looked very, very old and most definitely not replaced as part of the remodel. In fact in my room it appeared the remodel consisted of new carpet, new chairs and new paint but that’s it. All the other furnishings still looked a bit old and worn. But nothing was broken, ripped or stained just a little beat up. The bed, bedding & pillows were above average and comfortable with no rips, stains or holes. I used my American Air vouchers for dinner & breakfast at the restaurant at the hotel, Zaya’s. (Side note: American Air’s vouchers did NOT cover the meals so be warned.) I had the steak & gorgonzola salad for dinner & breakfast was a buffet. Everything was ok; nothing to rave about but more edible then say fast food.
The best part of this hotel is the staff. Everyone I encountered, e.g., the shuttle drivers, the waiter, the front desk clerks were all super, super nice! Their customer service skills were top notch! Since I had not planned for an overnight stay, they even took me to a local CVS Pharmacy to pick up some things they could not provide.
But unfortunately even with the stellar customer service, I just did not feel comfortable there. I don’t know if it was all the remodeling, the color scheme (which I think is a bit dark and “creepy”) or something else. The place to me just had a strange vibe. Needless to say I stayed in my room when I was not in the restaurant and did not sleep well. One night was plenty and I was oh so glad I had an early flight so I could be gone by 7am. So even though the staff and customer service was stellar and they appear to be trying to improve the facilities with the remodel, I would not stay here again and cannot recommend it. And it is most definitely not a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel until at least the renovation is done.
3 Thank ttiottn1
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Sent after missed flight with American airlines. Place needs total renovation. Staff is good but place should not be used until place is renovated. Carpet old , rooms are half done. bad overall experience.

3 Thank P G