“Poor quality hotel - would not recommend”
Review of The Regency Hotel

The Regency Hotel
Ranked #177 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This has been a horrible experience. First of all, the hotel description is nothing similar to the actual hotel. The photos make the hotel look very nice & "up to date" however, the elevators are out of service, the advertised pool is extremely green and out of service, the "free breakfast" was empty when we arrived and took far too long to replenish (not to mention there were no clean tables to eat on!) the A.C. in the rooms takes forever to cool off, the walls are paper thin, the hallways have a strange smell, and the staff is not very helpful. I found and booked the hotel through expedia so I figured that's why it was such a "good deal" in terms of price.

I called to try and cancel my second night reservation and was told I needed to call back after 12 p.m. when a manager was working, which I found strange that there was no manager currently on duty.

The wi-fi is not very good and actually was not working when we first arrived. Also, ambulance and firetrucks arrived during our stay for a "sick" patient which I'm not sure what happened there but the staff seemed completely used to calling ambulances for their customers as the lady at the front desk commented "it's always something". Hotel keys kept messing up and we had to travel to the front desk multiple times to get our keys fixed to be able to enter our room.

The rooms were decently clean and were probably the best part of our stay...but I must say, I will never stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone. It's in a horrible part of town next to a store called "condoms to go" and other various outlets that seem to attract "interesting" customers to say the least....

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cassady W

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I only needed a room for the night, and this was convenient to the highway. Upon first entering, nothing jumped out at me as really 'wrong', but being in the hotel business, I've seen far nicer rooms. The carpet was a little worn in places, the wires to various appliances were all all over (though the attempt to stash them behind large furniture was made)...minor things. It was a $50 room, no big deal.

Then I started to take out my laptop and phone so I could plug them in - and was only able to find one outlet near the desk to use. I have a feeling the only reason it was free was that the refrigerator next to the desk was unplugged, otherwise it, too, would have been in use. Said refrigerator was kind of mildewy smelling, too.

The room had two telephones, neither of which worked. One was plugged into a jack whose wires were coming out of the wall and several were hand-twisted together with no sort of insulation around them. At least I had my cell phone.

The window of the room was a sliding one. The 'lock' was a metal bar that swiveled up and down to prevent it from being opened farther than an inch or two. It was broken in half, and no other locking mechanism was visible for the window.

There was a sleep number bed that worked - sort of. It inflated/deflated (if that's what all the hype is about, don't bother), but the display on the controller was broken, so I'll never know what my 'perfect number' is. Otherwise comfortable.

My room was at the VERY end of a hallway with two exit doors to the outside right by it. I thought, "Great! I can park right here and not have to trek through the lobby and down the hall!" Not so much. The outer doors had signs saying that they were for exit only, despite having key access modules next to them. Again, more inconvenience than anything, but annoying.

The couple 'being friendly to one another' was easily heard through the wall, but there's little that can be done about that.

The icing on the cake of this one-night stay was the argument that broke out in the hallway just outside my room AT THREE IN THE MORNING between an overnight manager and a gentleman who SWORE that the women (yes, plural) were, "...friends, not prostitutes." He was raving about having paid his 'rent' and didn't want to be kicked out, while the manager was raving about something to do with one of the women, not liking the gentleman and he had to go. At no time did either party seem to think that removing themselves from an area where people were presumably sleeping was a good idea.

The saying, "You get what you pay for," fits this place to a T.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Dave B
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel should be condemned, so horrible! firstly, we checked in & had to walk down several hot hallways because I guess the a/c was out. They also had only one elevator in service. When we checked out, the maid didn't even have the courtesy to wait until we left to start cleaning our room! I went to put our things in the car, and came back to double check that we had everything, well I discovered a pair of my boyfriend's shoes were missing, I called & spoke to some lady who claimed to be the ASSistant manager named Lisa; she lacked the skills necessary to actually breath on her own, let alone manager a "hotel". long story short, after calling and being hung up on several times by Lisa because she didn't want to do her job, I was forced to file a police report for theft. Do not spend your hard earned money here!

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank TMC1121
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

As we came to check in the fire Marshall was doing an inspection and I'm surprised he didn't shut it down. This used to be a radisson hotel. The front desk lady was very nice, but the early morning check out guy was very clueless. It needs major repairs the elevators are from the 50s, vents covers abd light receptacles were having loose. Hallway reeked off cat pee with stains. Room was fairly clean but house keeping never came to clean only came in and took trash ONLY. Location is off the highway which was convenient but the neighborhood was suspect. Convenient store with bars on it enough said!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

The staff was friendly, but they do not manage very well. My room keys stopped working every day that I was there. I went down and told them. They asked for no proof of identity, so I could have asked for any random room key and potentially had a free room. The room itself was ok, but nothing special. The hotel is a bit run down, but looks like it used to be the cream of the crop. The surrounding area is a bit shady, but not too bad. The breakfast was really good; they have a cook who will make you an omelet to order, as well as a bar for bacon, sausage, etc. Best advice is don't expect too much from here considering the price

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Was just informed that the hotel is now known as Regency Hotel. Not sure how to make Tripadvisor aware of the name change. Careful as in your search, it will pull up Hyatt Regency hotels as well. This is not a Hyatt.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Reserved a room for 2 nights in connection with a training seminar at the same facility.

Immediately upon check-in, broken smoke detector in room, tape holding window closed, hole in the curtain, used soap in the bathroom, sleep number bed did not work, no wi-fi as advertised and the telephones throughtout the hotel were broken except at the front desk. Asked for another room and was ignored by the hotel staff. After 30 minutes of jacking with the window being held closed with tape, I was able to finally get the latch to lock. Decided to check out the restaurant they advertise in the lobby as being open for lunch & dinner, non-existent, no cookstaff to run the place. Finally found the fitness center on the 3rd floor of building 2 (after all the elevators were not functioning) to find 6 pieces of equipment that were non-functioning as well. The bathroom facilities in the fitness center were also non-functional. Walking past the pool back to my building, it was solid green with fungus growing inside it, half the doors didn't work in the building. They're suppose to automatically lock and require a room key to gain entry, but alas, remained unlocked at all times. I was there for 3 days, 2 nights, on night 2, the hotel manager came beating on my door and even tried to gain access while I was in the room demanding that I check out on day 2 of a day 3 stay. Got him straightened out after 15 minutes. Only things that did work were the deadbolts in my room and the television.

Absolutely horrible place and if it weren't for the fact that I had a conference the next morning after arriving and was in a pretty rough part of Dallas, I would've left but it was dark at that point and did not want to step foot outside.

Room Tip: Do NOT book this hotel, even if your life depends on it!