“Not a nice area”

Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill
Ranked #69 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel was fine for business because it was readily accessible to the highway. It is dated but was clean. The problem that I had with the keys in the door seems to be an issue with this hotel. I would not stay here again because of the location. Otherwise the hotel was clean and had cooperative staff.
If you are interested in nightclubs, liquor stores and lousy neighborhoods, this place is for you!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. You are correct, we are easily accessible to the highway and centrally located within the Dallas Metroplex and only minutes from downtown Dallas, Farmers Branch and the Irving areas, close to all major business complexes. Thank you for your comments on the cleanliness of your room, we hear that quite often from our guests that stay with us. As a point of reference, we will be starting renovations this summer to include the guest rooms, front desk, breakfast area and workout center. So, we do hope you will consider us again if you're in the area.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was in a not so nice area of town, right next to a highway under construction. It looked like the hotel had not been updated in a long time. The breakfasts were nice, and so were the bathrooms. But the hallways, elevators and room itself were kindof run down. I would not stay here again, even though the price was good.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry for the condition of your guest room. As a point of reference for you, we will be undergoing a complete renovation this summer to include the guest rooms, front desk, lobby, breakfast area as well as workout facility. When you return to the Dallas area, we hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about with a completely renovated property!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

There is a lot of construction (no, I really mean a LOT) in this area of Dallas right now, so I'm not sure if that is why, but the area immediately around the hotel didn't feel quite safe. There also seemed to be "exotic" (aka girls girls girls) clubs in the area, liquor stores, and at least one nightclub. It just didn't feel completely safe, even with a fence around the hotel lot. I was also a bit unsettled that no one asked to see my ID when I checked in. The hotel is overall average, but appears to be popular with the high school basketball teams, since we seemed to be about the only non-basketballers in the entire hotel. It was too cold to use the outdoor pool, but it looked to be in decent shape. The breakfast was good - on par with other Hampton Inns with the make-your-own waffles, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, etc. For those that would rather go out to eat, there is a Denny's practically next door just past the La Quinta Inn. Miscellaneous comments - the shower head in the shower was way too low, and there was no exhaust fan. Beds were comfortable and clean. TV/cable reception was clear. Room was quiet and dark enough. Not a bad hotel, just not sure about the location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for your feedback about your most recent stay at the Hampton Inn Dallas North. We do apologize for the highway construction, which is estimated to be completed in our immediate area within the next couple of months, as the crew moves on down the road to another portion of the overhead project. With the exception of the shower head, which engineering has addressed, we are glad that you found your room to be "comfortable and clean". We do hear that quite often from our guests, as well as how quiet the rooms are. The hotel will also complete a renovation later this year with our guest rooms, front desk and lobby areas of the hotel, so we do hope you will consider returning to the Hampton Inn Dallas North the next time you are in town!

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

The Hampton was situated in an area with many nightclubs, off color neighborhoods, etc. However, the rooms were perfectly clean; alittle cramped but it was perfectly fine. Biggest issue with hotel was the doors coming in, took several times for the door to register key. Staff was very nice, courteous. No real dining options in area; best bet is Denny's. Very close to interstate, but I did not hear any noise (however my room was closer to other end of hotel).

• Stayed: March 2013
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your review, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. You had mentioned the lack of restaurant selections, however, there are over 25 plus area restaurants less than a mile from the hotel on "restaurant row", and I do apologize you were not provided this information. Besides Denny's that you mentioned, there is also Chili's, Johnny Rockets, Olive Garden, Pappa's BBQ, Pappasitos, Texas Land and Cattle, Wild Turkey, Burger King, etc..... The next time you're in the area we would love to have you back.

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

The only thing that redeems this hotel on its location is its close vicinity to the interstate which makes it easy to come and go. Overall the hotel itself is pretty nice, clean, great service (they even have a managers reception), but it the rooms are pretty tight. Its one of those old-building-rennovation types of Hampton. The location, like I said, is rough. Strip club central, and rough part of town in general. We were even sketched out getting gas across the street. Its a good value overall and depends on your reason for staying. I wouldnt stay here with my family on vacation but because of the rate and closeness to the interstate I would stay here on business again. Its a good value, clean, updated with great service. If you enjoy the strip club scene then this is the spot for you.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a typical Hampton Inn. It's clean and well maintained. It has a good breakfast, the treadmills, elliptical and Nautilus machine work in the fitness center, and the staff is friendly and responsive. The breakfast is more than adequate, including eggs, bacon (or sausage), Do-it-yourself waffles, fruit, yogurt, coffee, etc.

The bad part of this hotel is its location. It's located almost under an overpass and they're currently expanding the highway. So there's a lot of noise and traffic outside. In addition, it's in a part of town where there are a large number of nightclubs and the type of bars where some of the dancers aren't always completely clothed. Also, the wifi service was a bit iffy, but I blame that on the construction.

I spent two undisturbed nights in a completely comfortable and quiet room and with the large fence and locked doors did not feel at all unsafe. In fact I was quite well rested on that Hampton bed!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Not sure how we would have fared without a rental car. Luckily we rented one at DFW. This is a no frills Hampton Inn about 15-20 mins drive from the airport. The breakfast is modest, the gym solid and the free coffee drinkable. Rooms was surprisingly big, staff were friendly enough. Hotel is surrounded by chain outlets: Starbucks, Chillis, Taco Bell and... Walmart. Best to avoid the latter. Access to Downtown via an adjacent freeway (this is Texas) and took us 15 minutes on a Friday afternoon.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruth G, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn Dallas North! You are correct, we are quick to downtown Dallas, with easy highway access and located about 8 miles north of the city center. The numerous restaurants that you mentioned, less than a mile from the hotel, provide a wide variety to select from while visiting the area. Since the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is a rather vast area to tour, it is always best to get a rental car as to not miss out on any of the attractions. We look forward to your next visit to Dallas and the Hampton Inn Dallas North!