“Two Star Hotel at best.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #132 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

July 20th, 2013. Hotel is outdated. Room 1103 and 1104 had a musty-mildewy odor. Room 1104 actually had a water leak during our stay and our friends packed up at 4am and just leaft early. Booked the room because the gentleman on duty when my wife called stated that we could take advantage of the hotel's FREE shuttle to Fair Park. We did not want to drive after a night of partying. He failed to inform us that the free shuttle was within a two mile radius of the hotel. No valet, no bell hop. Overnight parking will cost around 20 bucks. No room service. Positives...location.

Room Tip: $149.00 for an overnight stay with taxes and applicable fees. If you are here for a concert, as we...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanna G, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

DavidAGuidry, Thank you for your comments. I am sorry we do not own the parking garage but we do offer room service up untl 11pm daily. Donna M.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,339)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Was just on a quick business trip to Dallas and didn't want to spend the extra money for the Fairmont or Hyatt or W etc., but wanted a convenient downtown location. This hotel did just that for $99 a night and it's a two block walk to all the cool West End restaurants, and a block from another row of restaurants and bars on Main Street. For business you're 6 to 9 blocks from the glimmering towers on Ross Street and those around it. The hotel is standard fare; simple lobby and check-in, and my room was great, good desk for working, fast internet, comfortable bed, nice bathroom. The gym is basic, pool ok, and the restaurant....why would anyone bother to eat there with so many fantastic choices two block away? The West End cafe and bakery is the best place you will ever eat breakfast, and for lunch/dinner you have The Palm, Y/O Steakhouse, Charlie Palmer's Steakhouse, RJ Mexican, and on and on. So take this hotel for what it is, and you'll be happy staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

svletas, Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay. Please come again. Donna M.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Lied about free breakfast. Room service barged into rooms without knocking to exchange menus. Tv didn't work. Toilet had no water in bowl- they wanted us to fix it ourselves on three different occasions. We have 7 hotel rooms and our check was over $3,000 and yet they were not willing to work with us at all. Will never stay at a crowne plaza again!! Book the omni if you are staying in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Otahal,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the accommodation provider in the area. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests like you enables us to target problem areas and these comments will remain on file at a corporate level, for use in periodic evaluations of the hotel.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for four nights at the end of June, beginning of July. Can't say enough about how bad this place was, and I am NOT high maintenance. The hotel itself is old and the rooms are missing light fixtures, have paint falling off the wall, etc. but the worst part by far and what could have made up for the building itself was the customer service - it was almost WEIRD how bad the customer service was. I have never experienced anything like it and I travel all the time. They were outright rude to myself, to other guests, and to each other. It is obvious they have no one holding them accountable for their actions because they just have no problem with how bad they are. Specific examples:

The TV in my room did not work. I went downstairs and asked nicely what I should do. The girl said she would send their "engineer" up to the room. I said great, I won't be in there for a few hours. When I returned to my room, it was clear that no one had come in so I went back downstairs. This time, a man was behind the counter so I began to explain to him the situation when the same girl from before emerged and took over the conversation which is when she told me that "there is a do not disturb sign on your door so our engineer could not go inside. It's the law". I told her I knew for certain that there was no such sign on my door. She told me I was wrong and that by law they could not enter when there is a sign on the door. Then the man chimed in and repeated the same thing. I kept telling them there is no sign on the door. At this point, a third person emerges from the office and she interrupts the argument to let the other two know that there is no printer toner, at which point the three of them get into their own argument about whose responsibility it was to take care of the toner situation. I'm standing there in disbelief basically trying to get their attention and when they finally remember that I'm standing there and that they actually have jobs, they repeat AGAIN that there is a sign on my door and by law they cannot enter. I tell them NO THERE IS NOT and plus your own cleaning crew has been in there during this time so even if there was a freaking sign on the door your argument makes no sense!! My TV was eventually fixed, so that was nice.

My associates on the 15th floor had a giant daddy long leg spider crawling on their head board. They called downstairs and told the desk about it. By the time someone came to their door, my friends had killed the spider. The person at the door said "oh, problem solved then" and walked away...!!! That was that.

Same friends wanted to see if the hotel shuttle could take them a little bit outside the normal radius of where the shuttle goes so that they could go to Kroger. We understand rules are rules but the hotel's verbatim response was "No, that would inconvenience the hotel". THANKS.

While we were there, the same floor and room that the spider occupied FLOODED. I overheard the toner lady trying to explain it to other guests and basically saying that it was the guests fault that the hotel flooded because they hit the sprinkler system in their room. There are ways to word things and ways to not. Meanwhile, in my room which was not on that floor, the water coming out of the shower and sink was dark brown and I received no explanation or consolation. But, by that point I did not expect anything more that disappointment.

The third day I was there, there was a poster board in the lobby displaying a newspaper article that said "if you step on something crunchy in downtown Dallas, don't worry, it's just a beetle." Not sure what the hotel was trying to accomplish by displaying that. Probably that it's not THEIR fault if a beetle is in your bed.

So basically, my advice is to pay the same rate at a much nicer hotel two blocks up.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jackie L

Dear Jackie V,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience in the hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing these unsatisfactory experience to our attention. It is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your stay with us, and regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We always want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience and shortcomings of your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed July 4th, and will never stay again. I travel often (about 50 nights/year) for both business as well as personal travel. My wife and I stayed here on July 4th and were extremely disappointed - from the moment you walk in to the property you're greeted with decor that may have been trendy 30 years ago - but is extremely dated today & the room quality was sub-par. Additionally, the clientelle don't help things (if you're a skinny, bruding teen who would wear a wife-beater t-shirt to a dinner in public, then you'll love this place, but if your a grown-up with a job - you likely want to stay clear). Overall, I am shocked that this property is even in the IHG family - if it were a $40/night off-brand hotel, I would expect this experience; this has significantly tarnished my impression of the IHG brands & I will be re-thinking future stays. My advice to anyone reading this far - STAY AWAY - there are comparably priced alternatives in the area that offer much better quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bob A,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry to hear that our hotel quality was not up to your par. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Some of my colleagues and I were in Dallas for a conference from June 25-28, 2013. All of the hotels that offered special rates for the conference (Hyatt-Regency, Omni, Adolphus, Fairmont) were completely booked so we booked rooms at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel has some fairly new renovations, but is very dated. The carpet in the hallways smelled musty and dingy. The carpet in my guest room did not have a smell, but it did have some unsightly stains. The tub backed up daily with shower water (while I showered). In addition to the guest room door being ancient, there was a huge gap between the floor and the bottom of the door that made people in the hallway sound like they were in your room! You could actually see the feet of the guests as they walked by. With that being said, the beds were comfortable and the staff was great...very accommodating! The West End Historic District is only a short walk away and so is the Dallas World Aquarium. Overall, this hotel meet our needs; if you're looking for luxury, however, you might choose to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor for a better view of the city.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear MsPearl105,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel looks pretty dated. It charges a fair price for what it looks like. Staff were friendly and helpful, the location was convenient. Pretty poor looking hotel, looks tired. Needs refurbishment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Traveling-oz,

Thank you for staying with us and writing us a feedback. It is nice to know that you found the staff friendly and the location convenient. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced over the hotel's condition. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.