“Dallas Mini Vacation”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas - Market Center
Ranked #78 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife books this hotel about every other year or so to bring a group of high school students on a field trip to Dallas. We have also stayed at Embassy Suites in other locations and have enjoyed the experience.

We decided on a last minute mini vacation to Dallas for four nights, two adults and four kids. Dallas is a six hour drive from our home.

The reasons we like Embassy Suites are the large rooms and the breakfasts. While many other hotel chains offer breakfast, they may be good but you are often cramped into small crowded dining areas.

The people who work here that I encountered were all very nice.

This particular Embassy Suites is in an ok location. No close restaurants except for a Whataburger which is actually very good for fast food. GPS in the car was necessary to navigate Dallas. Don't leave home without a GPS in your car unless you know where you are going.

Upon arrival, after a days drive, the kids were wanting to swim. We were disappointed that the pool was closed for repairs. Management could not give us a reason why it was closed or when it was planned to reopen. We explained with four kids, it was important to swim.

Our room did not have enough towels. It took two phone calls to the front desk to get extra towels. This was an ongoing daily issue. One of the bed comforters had food stains on it and looked like it had never been cleaned.

Checked in at the front desk the next morning. The head of housekeeping was there. She had problems with cleaning in the room taken care of and said pool would be open later in day. We swam for a little while when we got back to the hotel in the evening. I noticed some of the kids from other families were saying their eyes were burning. Two of my kids jumped out when their eyes started burning. It also triggered an asthma attack with one of them and I had to rush them up to the room and get the inhaler. I then had to rush out and find a pharmacy and buy Benadryl.

When I got back the door to our room would not latch into the doorjamb and it would not deadbolt. This was at 10:30 pm and it took two trips down to the front desk to get a maintenance man to come to our room. The maintenance man piddled around with it for a little bit, left to find parts and finally had to disassemble the electronic lock and change out the entire locking mechanism. He told us we might want to change rooms. I checked but it would involve changing floors. Our floor was sold out. I didn't want to change floors with two sick crying kids who were being kept up already. He finally fixed the door at midnight.

Thanks to Patricia at the front desk for taking the initiative to help us out in this situation. She was very empathetic and I appreciate her very much.

Gabbie at the front desk the next evening was kind enough to ask how we were doing. Thank you!

I reported the pool situation and they said they would check the pH. It was ok the next day.

Because of the hell we were going through on our second day, we were given a password to access the internet. It is a joke to pay for internet at a hotel, especially at the speed this one works. It should be free. Guests appreciate these perks.

This hotel was an overflow site for a Mary Kay convention. It felt like the staff was a little overwhelmed handling this group.

When we went to breakfast it was difficult to find a place to sit. This was not because it was crowded because the tables were all covered with dirty dishes. The staff is very, very slow about cleaning tables. I noticed they might clear a table but they would not clean it leaving crumbs etc. on the table.

A limited amount of towels are placed in the pool area each day. Most days they ran out and no one was checking to see if new towels were needed to be stocked.

The afternoon snacks are very nice and convenient.

Our room faced the Stemmons freeway. Vehicle noise did not bother us. It was very quiet in our room. We were never bothered by noise from other rooms.

The hotel feels relatively secure. the side doors stay locked 24/7. When we were checking out we were loading the car at the front door. A panhandler came up to us in the parking lot wanting money and he was a little aggressive. We turned him away. He then went in the front door. I took the luggage cart in and he was asking hotel guests in the lobby for money in view and earshot of the front desk. When I came in he took off out the front door. I told the girl at the front desk he was harassing people for money and it was like "Oh".

While your experience may vary, I feel this hotel is a decent place to stay and the staff is very pleasant. I have the feeling the upper-level management are not aware of the day-to-day situations guests may encounter. I think the problems I encountered and the problems I have read about in other reviews would not be happening if upper management were keeping themselves informed. Relying on TripAdvisor reviews alone is not a way to find out what guests are experiencing.

Room Tip: Want a good view? Asked for a room as a high as possible (hotel has nine floors) and facing the eas...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Jeff J, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas - Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2015

Thanks for your review

Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is an older ES hotel that's been renovated. The atrium seems to have been renovated more recently than the rooms. Aside from the smelly shower curtain, the room wasn't bad. An extra sink in the bedroom made getting washed and ready in the mornings easier with four of us sharing the bathroom. The cooked to order breakfast was great. However the Saturday morning crowd consumed pancakes as soon as they were placed in the buffet. Manager's reception included chips, salsa, ranch salsa, a couple of pasta dishes, wine, beer, sangria, and margarita on the rocks. Very nice perk! Pool was closed for repairs so we used hot tub, which felt nice for as long as we could stand the fumes from the chlorine. The hotel was full between the Mary Kay convention and a large family reunion, but we didn't encounter problems with noise or elevator delays. It was a decent stay.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Rose M

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I only was at your hotel for a family reunion. It was an ejoyable one during our stay there.I always enjoy staying at the Embassy Suites. Your front staff did a very good job, getting all of my family members checked in.Your over all staff were marvelous.If we ever take another family reunion there in Dallas,i will prefer staying at this location.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

You cannot go wrong by choosing this hotel. I cannot come up with anything negative about this hotel. The guy at the front desk was so professional. Wish we could have brought him home with us. I recommend this hotel to anybody who I planning a trip to New Orleans!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

When I travel with the family I try and stay at Embassy Suites because of the free hot breakfast and the room configuration. This hotel delivered on those to areas, but fell down on many other. Unfortunately this is just an average hotel and the worst Embassy suites I have stayed in. When we checked into our rooms we checked into the Premier level (hotel was full and this was only available and we are HiltonHonors members). We were given free Wi-Fi and free snacks. When we arrived at our room it had a very strong bleach smell (was it clean?) and the bathroom still had hair on the floor and toilet. We talked to the front desk and asked them to come clean the bathroom again. We checked in around 3:00 and stayed in our room until 4:00 when we left to go do vacation things. When we returned at 11:30 the room had not been cleaned... We again went to the desk and asked for help with the room. They said they would send someone right up. Finally around midnight, as my daughter tried to sleep, a very nice young man came in and gave our bathroom a deep clean...

The next day I attempted to use the complimentary snacks for being on the Premier floor. Well, needless to say after punching in the code several times I had no water to show for it. Again I went down to the front desk.. Free water was given, but when I tried to use the card/code and next day the same thing happened.. I gave up after that...

To top it all off, the Wi-Fi is fairly poor at best. I could use the Wi-Fi from the couch, but the desk was hit and miss and the bedroom could not get a signal. This was tested with multiple devices, so I know it was the connection and not the device. Again a large disappointment for Premium/ Hiltons Honors service.

I have always stayed at Embassy suites and I will continue, but this is the last time I will every stay at this hotel. I don't expect questionably clean, rundown rooms, poor Wi-fi and goofy "free' snacks...

1  Thank Jeff B
Matthew G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas - Market Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize for the complications that you experienced with the Premium amenities and for the issues that you encountered in your bathroom. I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate department heads to ensure immediate improvement. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

When we arrived the desk said we did not have reservations. when i handed her my phone and showed her i had conformation on my email she just said she could not find it on her system, but she could get me another room for $ 100.00 a night more. We had to accept because my 8 year old was to have heart surgery at Childrens Hospital. The room was hot and we set AC to 65 but it would not cool below 78. The couch was torn. There were cob weds in the corners of the ceilings . The toilet was slow and would have to be flushed several times to work. The internet was all but none existent. All of this in a " premium " room ? Never again !

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I would like to extend my apologies for the complications that you experienced at check-in. We know how important a smooth check-in is after a long day of traveling and I regret that we fell short. Your feedback is valuable and greatly appreciated. Please know that all of your concerns have been addressed so that we may improve upon our product and service. Thank you for your business and I hope that you will give us another try.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I travel to Dallas often during the year for business and I ended up staying in the Dallas market Embassy Suite this time. I usually stay in the other location offered in Dallas. Overall I had a great stay. Room was clean when I arrived, checked in quickly, and check out was fast as well. I am a runner and the fitness room was a bit small. Too few equipment and some of the perks on the machines didn't work but it suited the purpose. Pool area was clean but did not swim. Breakfast was great as always and the dinner meals were also very well prepared. The evening reception is a great way to end the day and make some new friends. Rooms could be a little quieter due to the echo of the lobby but was tolerable.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you had a smooth check-in/check-out and that you enjoyed all your meals! We have an amazing staff that is dedicated to providing outstanding service! Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback regarding the fitness center. Visit us again soon!