“What a disappointment!”

Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
Ranked #91 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I stayed here for a total of 3 nights. At first glance the hotel seemed nice and pleasant however that would all change. From one bad experience to another. Unbelievable! This hotel needs some serious help!

My first night I was watching tv before bed around 11pm. The remote control did not work so I had to turn the lights on and get out of bed to turn it off. As I approached the TV I came face to face with a HUGE Cockroach! Completely disgusted I threw everything into my bag and called downstairs for a room change. Apologies were given and they switched my room...two doors down. Maybe a room on a different floor would have been a good idea to put me at ease. Or a follow up the next day was too much to ask too I guess?? Or even comping the room for the night. I wouldn't think The Sheraton would have a cockroach problem.

The next 3 nights were meet with very little sleep as the walls were soo thin I could literally hear the guy in the next room yawning all night long. Oh, and the remote in my new room didn't work either! The next day I asked for it to be fixed. And upon my return that evening...still no working remote. Once again I asked it to be fixed and finally it was. In addition I paid the $10.95/day for spotty wireless internet. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. You can't sell something that doesn't work!! Or at least have a usb cable in the room as an option if the wireless is slow or spotty. Instead I had to go down to the lobby to get a good connection.

The following day I went to the Gallaria. I called for the hotel shuttle pick up and asked where I should meet the driver. I was told it will be 15 minutes and stand in front of Banana Republic. I did see the driver enter the mall but he went to the other side and never over to where I was told to wait. Not to mention it was pouring rain which meant I couldn't walk back, I needed a ride. 40 minutes after my first call, I called again. I was told because of traffic the driver would be there in 20 minutes. Huge Lie obviously, because when the driver showed up an hour after my original call, he said he came by but was told I was in front of The WEstin. Then to top it off, after I tipped him (which I shouldn't have in retrospect), he grabbed a bunch of what looked like to-go food containers, from the front seat, got out of the van and walked inside the hotel. Leaving me to struggle with all my bags and open the door. Again, maybe it was too much to expect the van driver to get out and open the van door for me, because that's normally what happens:)

This has to be THE WORST experience I have ever had a hotel in my life! I travel for a living and stay in hotels about 10-15 days a month. I would never stay at this hotel again. As far as customer service and total overall experience this one was an EPIC FAIL!!! What a disappointment:(

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gemini619

Reviewed March 28, 2011

I travel frequently for business. This sheraton is okay but i would avoid staying here again. It is probably the worst of the last five or so hotels ive stayed at in the past year. The little things are all wrong. For example, i called guest service after the ice machine didnt work on my floor or the floor below me and i was on hold for 5 minutes. One expects an immediate answer in a decent hotel. Tonight i requested the turn down service and was told "sorry, housekeeping has left for the day" - even though it was 7pm and the pamphlet in the room says the service is available from 6 to 9 pm. Also there was a dirty napkin on my floor that i didnt notice until unpacking, the wifi service is slow and offers a low s ignal despite costing 10.95 per day, and my ironing board is broken. Nothing major, but like i said, the little things are all wrong and when one travels frequently for business, these thigs are expected. I will recommend to the provider of the conference that they choose a different hotel next time. The conference service was also bad, so i expect my concerns will. Ring true.

For leksure travel this place is acceptable. Nicer than a days inn. But a westin or hilton it is not.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I have now stayed in 3 different hotels in the Galleria Area in Dallas- This was a terrific experience. Rooms are really nice- If you have club level access- you get the benfits of free breakfast (tips are a good idea to the hostess) and happy hour on the top floor. Free parking, big and clean rooms, nice staff, centrally located- good choice!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I came down to Dallas from the Midwest for a little week long getaway. This was a great hotel to stay at. I stayed during the middle of the week, which was a great decision. I booked the Club Level, which was an amazing idea. Every day for breakfast and for dinner appetizers, I would go to the exclusive club level and enjoy the company of the other guests and the concierge that worked there. She was amazing.

I have never been to Dallas before and wanted to do some sightseeing and tourist things. The Club Level Lounge is where I learned of all the great things to do. I was so thankful for this place. It was nice, classy, and comfortable. I really enjoyed how it was right off the highway so I could gain access quickly and jump on just as quick. Then there were some amazing restaurants just minutes away from the hotel.

I could not have asked for any place better to stay. Also, if you’re into shopping, the big mall, Galleria is literally two blocks away from the hotel. This is was in a great location and made for an amazing vacation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Picked this hotel up bidding priceline.com for $40 great value.As an SPG.com preferred
member they were forced unhappily to supersize me to best available so I got a GREAT
suite overlooking the Galleria for that price.Rooms were perfectly renovated bed was
the usual AWESOME sheraton bed I slept very well.Staff was not terribly friendly I think
probably because I had gotten such a great deal and knew they had to give me an upgrade and held their feet to the fire.Restaurant downstairs had abysmal serivice and
mediocre food.Fitness areas were old and poorly laid out.Still for value for me it is a very nice play in a great location.I will return if I can get a great deal again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Good location, close to Galleria. Has both pools, very busy though. Rooms smelled musty, very small. Only ok customer service, have to pay extra for everything breakfast, wi-fi, and refrigerator. Only ok, I think we could find somewhere nicer next time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Frisco03
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I stayed at the Sheraton for business on two weeknights. I stayed in a corner room at the southeast corner of the 9th floor. The room itself was really quite nice, with high-quality furniture, very comfortable bed, good pillows, good quality sheets. I was especially impressed with the very effective blackout curtains the really blocked every bit of light from the adjacent freeway and airport. With the curtains closed and the lights off, the brightest source of light is from the gap between the room door and the floor. The soundproofing measures taken with the windows seem to be effective. I was able to hear a police car driving on the freeway with sirens on, but otherwise outdoor sounds were absent. Indoor sounds are another matter. This room had an adjoining door to the adjancent room. This inner door wasn't particularly well insulated for sound. I could plainly hear my neighbor's television until 12:30AM. I solved the problem by leaving the AC fan on all night.

Business travelers should note that this hotel charges you $10 a day for internet access in your room. I suppose most business travelers will pass this cost on to their company and wouldn't think much of it. I was paying for my trip myself, so the thought of $10 a day for a common convenience was frustrating.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. They deserve some credit for their attention to customer service.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Socal_Johnny
aasaad, General Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2010

Thank you for your kind comments, we "celebrate" our successes monthly duringour "all associate" luncheon. I will be sure to pass along your comments.
Bill Bunce