“Would not pay to stay here” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Dallas Market Center

Crowne Plaza Dallas Market Center
Ranked #107 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Would not pay to stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend and used airline miles to book this hotel. It did not cost us any actual money to stay here and if it did, I would have checked out. This hotel is very run down. The air conditioner in our room was very loud and ran constantly. The wall paper was peeling off the wall, the lamp shade was cracked and we received no maid service over a 3 night stay. (I did call for fresh towels the second day and quickly received them.) The pool is very small and the outdoor sun patio is very tiny, full of weeds and broken sun chairs. The vending machines either didn't work or were sold out of bottled water (we tried 8 different floors), but the machines did try and charge our credit card for the failed attempts. We received a phone call from our credit card company worried about fraud with the vending machine charges. When I told the front desk about the vending machine issue, he couldn't have cared less. Upon check out, the front desk employee did not ask how our stay was ( don't ask if you don't want to know?) and would not give me a final bill because the stay was paid for with our airline points. Seemed weird and I'm expecting an issue when that credit card arrives later this month. Also, this hotel is near a less than safe part of Dallas. If you have to stay in North Dallas, try another hotel. Do not stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Laura S
Jeff-Wood-GM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dallas Market Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Laura S,
First, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay with us. We are terribly sorry about not having maid service for 3 nights. This doesn’t happen unless there is a “Privacy Please” or a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door. We will surely investigate this issue, that was unacceptable. Our soda machines are managed by Dr Pepper Company so please let us know if the issue with your credit card has been resolved because if you didn’t get anything out of the machines, they shouldn’t take money off of your account. They do automatically authorize $5-$10 once you swipe your card but will release it after a few business days. Regarding the bill that you didn’t receive, since you used your airline miles, we will be billing that company and most of the time they don’t want to disclose the rates so we are very sorry that we couldn’t provide you with a receipt. We could give you documentation that you stayed during those dates but unfortunately not the receipt. Thank you for taking your time to write a review because this is one of the ways that let us know where we need to improve as a company. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Jeff Wood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Madisonville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights 8/27-9/3. I must admit I was concerned after reading some of the reviews. But, my experience was WONDERFUL!!! From the moment I checked in, which was quite early, my room was ready, with the microwave and refrigerator I requested, and I was made to feel like a valued guest. I had a corner king room on the 18th floor which was VERY roomy, great TV and comfortable. The bed was extremely comfortable and even though the hotel is right on I35E was extremely quiet. My room was cleaned daily and usually before 1pm. I never had to ask for anything from housekeeping which is not always the case when traveling. If I had to pick a negative it would be the pool, which is quite small for a hotel this size, but I used it several times and it was quite refreshing on the 103 Dallas days. I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

There are many reviews on this site that seem very critical of this property. It definitely was NOT my experience. Now if you want a 4 or 5 star hotel, stay at the Anatole across the street and pay the price. But if you want a very good 3 star or 3.5 star this property meets the bill!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they are larger. If you need a microwave or fridge I would call ahead. They...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Joe C
Dear Joe C,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit here in Dallas. We certainly appreciate all the good things you shared regarding your stay despite what you’ve read. We truly aim to make our guests feel special and to give them the best that we can offer. We are extremely glad to hear that you liked your room and the promptness of our Housekeeping staff. We appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon! Have a wonderful day!

Arvada, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Was told upon checkin that there was free wifi but I could never get my smart phone or iPad to connect. Bad location. Hard to get to except from freeway. Nothing near by. No pay for movies. Comfortables beds but the pillows are extra small.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kmethvin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Dallas Market Center, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear kmethvin,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding how comfortable beds are.

However, We’re sorry about the Internet connection. We will look into this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

The room here was large enough. But I booked it through Priceline using the parameters "microwave," "refrigerator" and "in-room movies", and none were available. Priceline's hotel description says the rooms include this. The hotel's website says on-demand movies are available. Not the case. When I spoke to the front desk, I was told the microwaves and fridges were available only upon request. On-demand wasn't available at all. When I called to request a microwave, I was basically told, "sorry, those aren't available for your room, and we don't have any to bring to your room." So the leftover food I'd brought back from Pappadeaux's went bad, with no fridge to store it in nor a microwave to heat it. Also, several of the towels in my room looked as if they hadn't been laundered; several had hair and other dirt and grime on them. My hubby had to go and find the housekeeping cart to get "new" ones. The bed in our room (a king) has seen better days, also. It felt like sleeping on a bed of wood.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crossky
Dear Crossky,
Thank you for taking time to post a review about your recent stay with us. We apologize that we didn’t exceed your expectations as far as microwaves, refrigerators, and the movies. The websites have been updated as to what we do and do not offer. We don’t have on-demand movies anymore but we now have movie channels that play movies all day at no extra fee. Thank you for sharing this review for it lets us know the areas we need to improve on so we can exceed guests’ expectations in every way we can. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you can give us another opportunity to accommodate you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I were in Dallas for a few days as a last little getaway for the conclusion of summer to visit a few of her Grad school friends and were both decently pleased with this hotel. It is conveniently located right off the highway, as well as being in relatively close proximity to downtown The layouts of the room were very nice and quite spacious and the hallways were quiet with little-to-no noise interference (except for the late night, uh, "excitement" in the next room on our last night while I was trying to do some work... but it didn't last long. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches). We didn't get an opportunity to try the shuttle service because our destination in downtown was a bit out of reach, but from the looks of it, the other guests seemed pleased with the service. There were a couple shortcomings (besides the room next door) in that the soda machines were set up to take credit cards but we tried using them on a couple diferent floors and each one was unable to accept either one of our cards so no water for us, minor inconvenience. Also, the A/C vent is oddly placed in the room. It is located on the wall to where it hits the bed directly whenever it comes on, so it becomes a game of hide and seek with the sheets as the room temperature flucuates from cold to warm. It might've just been this room, but just a head's up in case you prefer your room to stay at a certain setting. Lastly, when looking to reserve rooms in any hotel, we tend to first look at those with indoor pools. In this case, that was our primary reason for staying at this Crown Plaza. However, we were unable to do so because there was a private function going on at the pool, thus it was closed to un-affiliated guests. This wouldn't have been a problem, and I fully respect that particular organization's motives for having the function, I just think it might have been more pleasing to myself and the rest of the guests if it could have started at a time when normal pool hours had ended because now, my girlfriend and I were denied the use of the one amenity we were looking forward to utilizing. Because of this, I would say to call ahead of time to this hotel to make sure there aren't any parties or functions being held and find out whether certain areas of the hotel will be closed to guests and at what times.

Room Tip: We happened to get a corner room and it probably helped keep the noise to a minimum. Also, just go...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jeff-Wood-GM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dallas Market Center, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear MG_SA,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your end of season getaway. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay with us. We are terribly sorry about the noisy neighbors. We mostly get business travelers so we do have dedicated quiet floors and we know how important it is to have a good night’s sleep when you’ve been traveling all day and all you want to do is rest. Again, we apologize. Once in a while we get private parties that require closing the entire pool area and it was unfortunate that you had to come during these dates. We are truly sorry and thank you for being so understanding and for giving us an opportunity to improve in some areas. We appreciate you for complimenting the room layout and the location having an easy access to everything around especially Downtown Dallas. Our shuttles can accommodate guests within a 5-mile radius of the hotel so some areas in Downtown are also covered. We appreciate you taking time to complete the survey and we hope to see you again on your next visit. Have a wonderful day!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was the meeting planner for another weekend charitable and social event here at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel staff was friendly, attentive and warm to myself and our guests. A special "shout-out" to the young man in room service who brought my meal to my room and kindly asked me if I felt the room was a little warm? I said yes, but it is Texas and summertime. He said let me call engineering and get this taken care of for you. And in minutes engineering was there and the room was cooler. Now, this is positively outrageous customer service! An employee working in a different area took the initiative to solve a problem he noticed - that necessarily was not in his area of duty. Just another example of the level of customer service at this hotel and why I prefer to host my meetings and events at the Crowne Plaza. Great job to the entire staff! Looking forward to my next convention there in October.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Wayne D,

Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor review. It is always a pleasure having your groups here, Wayne. We are always excited every single time we get an opportunity to accommodate you. Thank you for acknowledging Alfonso. He will surely be recognized for his being proactive. He’s truly an asset. We always make sure we give the best in every area of service and it’s great to always see that in the reviews. We appreciate you! Thank you, Wayne. We’re very excited and looking forward to welcoming you back in October!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

The customer service was excellent. Rolando and Betty at the Front Desk were unbelievable. I didn't have a car so I really appreciated the free shuttle service to nearby restaurants as well as to the airport. It couldn't have been more convenient. The hotel was clean and quiet, although the room wasn't particularly fancy. The price was right though!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear FrenchieRona,

We are all so happy that you enjoyed your experience with us and for posting a review about it and sharing the details with other travelers. We truly appreciate all of your excellent ratings and compliments about our customer service, the shuttles, and the cleanliness of the hotel. Rolando and Betty will be thrilled to hear about this and we’ll make sure they get the proper recognition for this. Thank you for completing the review. We hope to accommodate you again soon!