“Quaint, clean, hip hotel with an Extraordinary Staff”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Dallas-Love Field (Medical Center), TX
Ranked #119 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed January 24, 2014

As a frequent traveler; it is always a treat to experience a hotel and staff that truly make you feel comfortable and at home. I have had worse than horrible experiences at various hotels in this particular area of Dallas, but finally, I have found a place that I will surely return to time and time again while in Dallas. For the price range; the hotel itself is chic and the rooms have more than ample space to accommodate even the pickiest, albeit budgeted, jetsetter. The fire pit located in the outside courtyard/sitting area is quite the lovely extra and makes for a wonderful place to have guest over or just relax after a long day.
The staff; and I say this with the utmost sincerity, is beyond what I have experienced at even the finest of establishments. Professional, friendly and just simply above and beyond in every aspect. The front desk manager, Shree, has done an excellent job in choosing a team that compliments the hotel's ambiance; resulting in a seamless and beyond pleasant experience. In fact; Shree, Patrick, Francesca, Ashish and Shova are an example that all in the service industry could use as a model.
I would be remiss to leave out the excellent and thorough housekeeping staff. We often forget the people who quietly serve as the backbone of any good hotel or establishment but this group makes that almost impossible to do. Marlene, who leads the housekeeping staff, is truly a prize and has done a remarkable job choosing a staff that makes the accommodations feel more like a temporary home than just a place to lay your head for the night.
The communication and follow through within this entire group is more than commendable; each member going above and beyond. Should it be business or leisure; I would recommend this hotel before any other in the Dallas area, on the staff alone.
Also; the parking area is gated...an extra, extra plus; so your vehicle and belongings that might remain in it are completely safe from unwanted exposure and/or the type of mischief that can occur in hotel lots.
Safe and happy travels to all!

Room Tip: The rooms that lead out to the fire pit are perfect but if you want quick and easy access to your ve...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 17, 2014

For the price, this was very good. We got a one-bedroom suite (two rooms put together). I chose this because we were staying in Dallas for several days and my husband is disabled with severe RA and we desperately need a spa or hot tub for the rigor a trip puts him through, besides the wear and tear on him going to a Dallas/Denver football game. That said, after we checked in, we walked the premises and found the hot tub was boarded up, shut down totally. We went to the front desk and inquired about it. She said that it had been shut down since February (this was October!!!) and they would eventually be cementing it in. I told her WHY we chose this hotel, specifically for this amenity, and she was very uncaring about it - saying it was too much trouble to keep up with. THEY DEFINITELY NEED TO REMOVE THIS FROM THEIR LISTING!!!! My only other gripe was that on the weekend days they had offered pancakes and french toast, they were out of syrup. I inquired about that, and they said a truck was on its way, no telling when it would arrive, but that they had not taken into account the LSU game Saturday, and the Denver/Dallas game Sunday for the extra traffic.

We REALLY enjoyed the space for the one-bedroom unit, and the balconies. We spent a LOT of time out there. The staff was very good other than those two encounters, as we consulted them about where to go, what to do, etc.

The hotel is OLDER, but the hotel has been updated VERY NICELY. It is a gated hotel, which had me worried about "the area" at the first couple of glances at this on line, but it is not a bad area, and it was very nice to have a "gated community" for a few days.

The breakfast was nice. I would really stay here again if it wasn't for the lack of hot tub. The water in the outdoor pool was quite chilly (we got in long enough for pictures) this time of year. I bet it is very nice in the summer. They have a fire pit, but it wasn't lit while we were there - week nights and weekend nights.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom room is AWESOME. Lots of space for a very reasonable price. TV's in both rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites by Carlson in Dallas, TX the week before Christmas. I stayed for almost a full week on a business trip and was quite pleased with the hotel and especially the breakfast. I got an online discount for staying over 3 nights, which was substantially less than the normal rate, like 30% off. Great deal for the area and a good hotel.

Check in was good, the staff very helpful and friendly. I did have a problem with one room key, which I eventually got to work by pushing it to one side of the lock when inserting it. Both keys worked fine on the parking lot gate and the side entrance into the hotel. The parking setup is a little odd, you have to enter on the left side of the hotel and it circulates around the hotel to exit on the right hand side. Both entrance and exit are gated. You need a card key to get into the parking area.

I was on the second floor right around the corner from the elevator, convenient to an entrance from the parking lot. I lug a lot of tools and stuff so that was a very good thing. The down side was that it was also across the hall from the noisy ice machine. Not really a problem, I'm not bothered much by noises once I know what they are. Likewise the blinking smoke detector light, which was right over the bed. Once I figured out what was flashing in the middle of the night I ignored it.

The room had a nice balcony with two chairs and table, overlooking the courtyard and pool. I was there during some nice weather so I got to take advantage of that sitting outside reading and hanging out some shirts to air out. I did a walk around the courtyard and they have some nice fire pits and comfortable chairs out there. I'd love to be there during the summer time so I could use the pool. It appeared they had a hot tub in a building at the end of the pool, but it looked to be closed off.

The room was appointed nicely, I had a king bed that was very comfortable with a nice assortment of pillows to choose from as far as firmness. I found an extra pillow and blanket in the bottom drawer of the dresser. The heat worked great in the room, but I like it coolish and used the extra blanket at night. The lamp next to the bed had a socket for charging cell phones, very convenient as almost everyone I know uses their cell phones for an alarm clock.

The furniture in the room was nice for someone that lugs stuff, there was a couch and a two level coffee table thing in the middle of the room that was perfect for placing my stuff when I needed to sort through things. There was also a desk with lamp equipped with outlets. It was adjacent to a dresser supporting the coffee machine, microwave and TV. Inside beneath the TV was a small fridge, which kept the fridge noise to a minimum.

The TV was a nice flat screen, the service was OK. I didn't spend too much time watching. Like all of the hotels that have satellite service or even digital cable, it takes a long time to switch between channels. I like to surf (It's an ADD / guy thing I guess) and I hate the delay you have to deal with when switching channels, but it's everywhere you go these days. It encourages me to not watch much TV as it wastes even more time than the TV watching itself does. Saves me from myself. :)

Wireless internet worked fine while I was there. The desk had a pull out rolling desk underneath which gave additional room for a laptop and put it lower into a better position for typing. The desk chair was comfortable and the adjustments worked on it.

The lobby was clean, modern and well equipped. There were several work stations available as well as a printer for boarding passes and such. I didn't have reason to use any of that. They also have a lending library of books in that area, which was a nice touch. Coffee service is right there as well, which I did take advantage of.

The breakfast area is what sets the lobby apart from other hotels I've stayed at, it's immediately adjacent to the lobby, with lots of seating. There is a long serving bar along the back, and it appears they may have had a full restaurant type service at some point. In the morning they had hot food available, eggs, sausage and home fries. Do it yourself waffles were also available. There was a juice machine, skim and 2% milk, an assortment of baked goods, cereal, yogurt, mixed melon fruit salad, apples, oranges and some days grapefruit. One day they had French Toast. Real butter!

I tend to find myself having to skip lunches when I'm working, so having such a variety of items available for breakfast is a real plus for me. I load up to get though my day. The woman that ran the breakfast bar was very nice, helpful and never stopped moving. She kept the area clean and straightened up continuously.

Breakfast ran from 6 to 9:30 and they do start to pack up promptly, but they don't chase you away if you get there near the end. If you do miss it, there is an Ihop right down the street. I ate dinner there the first night I stayed at the hotel, it was very convenient.

The other nice thing about the breakfast was no Faux news, which is unfortunately ubiquitous in most hotels.

One disappointment was the 'store' adjacent to the check in area. They have some candy bars, sodas, chips etc, but it seemed to be low on stock of most stuff. The prices were kind of high as well, I think basically $2 an item for chips and snickers bars, which seemed rather high even for the convenience of not having to go out.

The other issue I had was finding the place. It wasn't so bad getting to it from the airport, though I did miss Stemmons Trail the first time and had to turn around at the next light down 482.

The problem I faced every evening was driving back from my client at night. It's difficult to get to, even with the GPS, because getting onto Stemmons trail from 482 north you have to turn left to catch this little circle thing to do a 180 and immediately turn right. Unfortunately my GPS only listed the right, so I missed the left onto the circle every time I came back to the hotel from working. I'd have to go up to Harry Hines Blvd and depending on whether I'd veered left or right at the circle, either go right to the next light to turn around, or turn left immediately under the overpass and come around to get on 482 south and turn right onto Stemmons. That circle for making what is really a left onto Stemmons from 482 north needs a sign or reflectors or something, it's impossible to see at night. I never got it right, even after figuring out what I was doing wrong.

All in all it was a great place to stay, I would definitely stay there again if my travels bring me back to the Dallas / Ft Worth area. I would definitely recommend it to my associates and friends.

Room Tip: I'm not sure you could get a bad room, but if I had my druthers, I'd pick on facing the cour...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We had all kinds of problems starting with the battery in the smoke detector going out. It started beeping at 1 am. We reported it, they cleaned the room yet when we returned from a day of sight seeing it was still beeping. We decided to give them a second shot and booked another nights stay about 2 weeks after the first one. We checked in and went to our room and the toilet wouldn't work kept running. Called the desk and they asked "is this a problem". Finally moved us to another room a few doors down. Two lights out in the hallway and pretty dark. Not a good experience for me at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson in Dallas, TX the last week of December 2013. The hotel at first was a little tricky to find but my GPS got me there. It's kind of tucked away on a back road off of Norhtwest Hwy behind other hotels in the area and right next to the freeway. Walking in the hotel lobby had a very nice and clean contemporary look. I was very impressed with what I saw. The check-in was quick and easy. I requested a upper floor room overlooking the courtyard and the clerk was able to accomodate me. The hotel has free gated parking which made me feel safe about parking my vehicle there. I stayed in a 1 king bed suite which actually looked like the pictures on their website. The room had a microwave, mini-fridge and coffe pot, a small sofa and flat screen tv. The wifi in the room worked great and so did the heating/air conditioning system. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and an extra blanket and pillow in the closet if needed.

The hotel serves a hot breakfast buffet every morning with scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast, hash browns, biscuits, fruit, bagels,cereal, juice. They also had a place to make your own waffles if you wanted.

I also made use of the fitness center located in hotel. It's small but if you wanted to get a little excercise during your stay you may want to check it out.

A few of issues I had while at the hotel. (1) problem using the card key. It would take several swipes of my card key to get my room lock to open. Not sure if it was the lock itself or the key I was issued. (2) black stains on carpet in front of sink. It was something I noticed when I entered the room. Not sure if the stains were burns or if was spilled ink or whatever. I just took one of the towels and laid it over the stains. (3) flashing light from smoke detector when all other room lights were turned off. It wasn't a major issue but it is noticeable. (4) the third day at the hotel I returned after housekeeping had finished with the room to discover the toliet was constantly draining and refilling. I took the tank lid off and was able to readjust the stopper to get it to work normally again.

Most of these issues weren't deal breakers for me and I very much enjoyed my stay at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Dallas Love Field and would gladly choose this hotel again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Glenn H
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Perfection with everything. There is a security gate to protect your car. We had a first floor room overlooking the courtyard which was not only pretty but also peaceful. Beds very comfortable and very very clean. Free coffee and microwave and refrigerator in the room. The lobby is open with different places to sit whether to waych the large flat screen tv or a quiet place to read. Speaking about reafing The hotel has a free read and return brand new books. Free coffee and fresh baked cookies. Staff very professional and accommodating. Room has free toiletries and an iron and iron board. Free wifi which is speedy and a nice glat sceen in the room. Breakast was suburb. Eggs and sausage and waffles oh my! Very good. This hotel was perfect in everything. Oh and free Wall Street journal and USA Today. A must to stay at. Loved it.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Let me give you the "low down" on this particular property. Are you ready? Here goes.......First of all........if you don't already know. Dallas is going through MAJOR....and I mean MAJOR highway construction. There are sharp turns. Detours you must take to get to any restaurants and one car lanes. You must be a skilled driver or have someone else in car navigating where you should go when driving. So expect to get lost. It can be confusing to get to and into the hotel. All of the construction took away the experience of touring Dallas. Downtown Dallas is very beautiful at night.

I chose this particular hotel due to the extra amenities offered like the patio setting outside, but it was too cold to use. Staff even mentioned they dont even know how to turn on the firepit. Also the hot tub was closed. If you are a Clubcarlson member this hotel requires 38,000 points for a free night in comparison to other Dallas properties that start at 9000 points and up. I felt like I totally wasted my points at the property.

The Hotel: The lobby has been completely revamped. Very art decoded. There is an entertainment room in lobby with huge flatscreen. An added plus. This is a huge property. This is not your typical Country Inn and Suites. It appears to have been another property name before changing to Country Inn. You can tell by the decor in the hallways. This hotel has an electrical gate all over the property. When entering it looks more like a condominium property. There is a slight smell in the hallways. Management must be aware of this due to Scent dispensers located on the walls. But it doesnt seem to help much.

The front desk (Franscesc*) was very inviting. She was sitting at the desk. Which I appreciated. I hate it when I have to wait for front desk to come around corner or when front desk hides in the back and doesnt come to lobby desk until they see a guest in their camera in the back. So, I dont care if front desk is standing or sitting at the lobby desk, I just want to see that someone is "sailing the ship". However, the whole evening, she was the only employee I saw.

The beds are not pillow top beds. There was lots of electrical outlets available for a variety of electronics. There are fridge and microwave in the room. The flatscreen is 32 inch--cheaper model. The room has a balcony with 2 chairs on it. There was a thermostat control on the wall, but it was blank. I had to use the older wall unit. When you turn all lights out, the fire alarm does blink a slight while light. I found out that hotel mgmt. can do nothing about that as this is the fire regulation. It does not make a sound, it just blinks. Towels are not bright white. Room appeared to be very clean. Water pressure in shower is mediocre. Room is decorated art decode. Not your typical Country Inn standard. Overall a good property but not the homey country feel of all the other properties and the points to redeem for a free night are overrated.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business