“Awesome stay!!”

Ranked #35 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Diana, Texas
“Awesome stay!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Thank you Hotel Indigo!!! My family of 4 headed to Dallas for a mini vacay. The staff at the hotel were exceptional, from the valet-to the front desk- to the hotel restaurant. The front desk staff were very knowledgeable about the how to's and where to go's. The valet staff were very helpful with directions and also knew the best route to take due to excessive traffic. The valet even went out into the pouring rain to retrieve a bag that we left in our car. The hotel restaurant staff were very cheerful and cracked a few jokes here and there. The food and drinks were excellent. The beds were comfortable. The hotel over all has sense of nostalgia. You can tell that they have updated the hotel ---a kinda "facelift' but have kept the old wood carved ceilings and walls. I can appreciate the history this hotel must have. Really I can't say enough positive things about this hotel. When I return to downtown Dallas, I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
dmcoleman04-Very kind words I will share with staff. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights while I was in Dallas for a convention. I would never stay at this hotel during a business trip again, and would probably not consider it for a personal couple night stay either. It was inexpensive but I would surely pay more for a better stay. The first floor had a weird smell that was attempted to be covered up by candles or something. The rooms are small, there was a queen bed with 2 feet on each side and a desk on the end. That is what the room consisted of, very close quarters for 5 nights and that was only myself in the room, if I brought my wife along it would have been very difficult space wise. There was no storage space for clothing; like a dresser. The room was painted in fun colors but you can tell it was just to cover up how dated the building is. The service seemed like amateur hour at the front desk and at the "restaurant". They did have good bartenders at night but even the hotel bar randomly would close because the bartenders no longer wanted to work. I asked to upgrade to a sweet if one became available, the front desk person did not write anything down and said she would remember me. I never heard another word about it and when I asked another front desk person there was no record of my request. All in all, it wasn't the worst hotel experience I have had in my life, but for all of the options that are available in downtown I would not recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: If you need room upgrade to a sweet. If you are on business be sure to ask for a desk.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ccave04-Thank you for your time. Please contact me directly at your convenience to discuss. My direct line is 214.915.8307 Mike Owen
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed at the Indigo for 6 nights while in town for a convention. Six nights is a pretty good sampling of how a hotel operates. I know this hotel has some good reviews however Based on my 6 nights I will never, ever again stay at this hotel. If you happen to read this, take my advice and book someplace else. Any place else would be an upgrade.

Our reservation was for multiple people arriving at different times during the week. As our party checked in and checked out the front desk personal was always confused. They couldn't find the reservation, had the reservations under a different name etc. Each time we referenced the rooms the were confused.

On our way into town we called and asked about parking. The valet said to come to the front of the hotel and they would give us a ticket to park in a lot a block away, which we did. For that service they charged us $60 per day. Mind you they didn't valet our car. All they did for the $60 per day was direct us to a public lot. On the third day we checked into the lot and found that the daily charge to park there was $15. They directed us to a public lot and charged us $60 per day! When we checked out and had parking charges of $300 the front desk personal were unable to remove the charge and directed us to call another department. As of this writing I don't know if the charge has been reversed.

We ate every breakfast at the restaurant and the service was absolutely horrible. It was the same couple of people helping us every morning and not only did they not acknowledge us but the service seemed to get worse as the week went on. They forgot to bring waters and often we had to ask for a refill on water. The diet coke tasted bad and at one point was undrinkable. We had to send it back and buy a bottle from the front desk. Of course they charged us for both. I have no idea who was working the kitchen but breakfast took over an hour every day and it wasn't even busy. Painfully slow. On one occasion someone in our party ordered a ham and cheese omelet. They were out of ham so on their own they substituted turkey, peppers mushrooms and onion. You order a ham and cheese omelet and you get a turkey cheese, peppers and onion omelet. Go figure. Since we were already at an hour at this point for breakfast we didn't have time to send it back. i overhead someone asking the front desk where else they could go for quick breakfast. It made me laugh.

If all of this wasn't enough the hotel lobby smelled like a sewer. Each time you walked in it was the worst smell you can imagine. After talking to a hotel employee they told us the problem has been ongoing for months and they couldn't find the problem. He also said the owner is "cheap" and probably doesn't want to spend the money to get it fixed.

Oh, and one night the entire phone system and internet went down for the entire evening and morning.

There are a lot of homeless people near the Hotel and if you are female walking to the parking lot (where they charge you $60 a day) could be a bit scary. I don't know if all of downtown Dallas is this way or just the area around the Indigo. Inquire about that when you are researching other hotels to stay in rather than this one.

My advice. Stay someplace else.

1 Thank Chris D
Chris D-I apologize for the experience. I have always encouraged anyone who has a negative experience to ask for the General Manager directly during their stay. The issues that you mentioned, I would like to speak with you personally to get more information, such as room and dates of your stay. My direct line is 214.915.8307 and my name is Mike Owen.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stay at the Hotel Indigo in late Feb of 2014 while traveling on business.

The hotel is located a short car/taxi from all the "uptown" hot spots. The value is unbeatable; we paid some $130 a night during a high traffic period. That being said, you get what you pay for.

Few items of note:

Sewage Leak - somewhere in the building a sewage line broke/cracked/failed resulting in an OVERWHELMING smell in the lobby and hallways. Luckily, the smell did not creep into my room.

Tired Rooms - this is an old hotel that desperately needs a thorough freshening up. The fit and finish of the rooms and the common areas was poor ... nothing that affected my stay, but it was rather unsightly to look at (think: paint drips, stains and poorly finished carpentry/tile work).

Shuttle - they have a "free" shuttle that runs in a limited radius around the hotel. Being that there was a major cheerleading event in the area, I never got to enjoy the service. Not a negative, just an observation.

Parking - they have valet, but I recommend self parking at the lot *across the street* for ~$10 savings a day.

Overall, it's a cheap hotel in a relatively good location with mediocre amenities; as long as you go in with appropriate expectations, you'll have a successful stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear midnyterambla,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us specifically with the smell, the condition of the rooms, and the shuttle service. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Visited Dallas in November 2013 and stayed at the Indigo for 9 nights.
I thought it was brilliant and really enjoyed my stay.

Firstly the hotel was very clean and the colours bright and cheery. There were two lifts always running and were quick. There was access to several PCs in the main lobby area where you could access the internet quickly. Also had a smooth running WiFi connection in my room too.
The reception staff were all really friendly (especially Dora at the front desk) and 2 of the valets guys (Danny and Brian) who were absolutely superb; always happy to drop what they were doing to drive me to Dealey Plaza or the Target store. Top blokes!
At night there was never an issue for one of the late shift valet guys to drop me off at the American Airlines Centre for the basketball and ice hockey games. If you're going to any events at the AA Centre, the hotel is not far from there. Thanks to Michael for also organising a taxi to the AT&T Stadium for the Dallas Cowboys Thanksgiving game with a brilliant cab driver called Vernon. Thanks to all of you guys. Your hospitality was really appreciated and you really made me feel at home!

My room on the 13th floor was spot on for me.
Nice clean bed, room always cleaned while I was out and fresh coffee and toiletries replaced.
There was an iron and board which came in handy and the TV had a decent array of channels.
As other people have said though, you can hear people in the room next to you but I think most of the noise came through the adjoining door as opposed to the walls and unfortunately I had a guy who sounded like he’d gone to the Indigo to die of TB, as he coughed more than Doc Holliday in Tombstone! When I mentioned the guy coughing after the 2nd night, Michael on front desk said he would have been happy to change my room but luckily ‘Mr Holliday’ had got better and had moved on by then but the offer from the hotel to change rooms was there and that’s the main thing!
On the subject of Doc Holliday, a little known fact is he actually lived in Dallas for a while and had a dental practice on Elm Street, close to Dealey Plaza.

Had breakfast every morning in the restaurant and service was always quick and the food was always well presented, tasty and good value. One thing’s for sure - I’d never had a steak for breakfast before! Lovely! The staff in the restaurant area were always efficient and attentive.

I had a room facing out on Main Street which overlooks a park where local residents walk their dogs but also the Dallas Municipal Court which at night had multi coloured lights shining on it, making it quite a spectacle. Another side note - the film RoboCop was filmed in Dallas and the Municipal Court is where RoboCop punches the ex-Mayor out of the window! You can see the Indigo in the background in the movie too – so now you know!
More fascinating however is also by the hotel is the old police headquarters where Lee Harvey Oswald was taken to after he allegedly shot JFK and depending on your room, you can see the ramp Jack Ruby allegedly walked down to shoot Oswald on 24th November 1963. If you’re into the JFK assassination like I am, you’re no more than 10-15 minutes walk from Dealey Plaza but the shuttle can get you there in a few minutes.
One of the last pictures taken of JFK was as he passed by the building in 1963 as the limo turned from North Harwood onto Main (see pictures) and I was told the acting Police Chief at the time, Jesse Curry, also lived there too so there is real history in and around the area, which if you're like me, was truly fascinating.

All in all, a great hotel with great people working in it and the local area I found to be safe especially close to the hotel as there are a few bars and restaurants there. If you’re going further down Main Street by foot late at night, you may want to be a bit more vigilant as it’s less populated the closer you get to Dealey Plaza but I had no issues on my own walking up and down there many times though you may get the odd beggar asking for money but that happens anywhere in the world.

I hope to visit Dallas again though sadly it may be a good few years till I do.
If I do, I’ll be heading straight for the Indigo.
Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LexWHU
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
LexWHU-Thank you for the kind words. I actually read a review where I learned things about my city I did not know. That was cool.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights here last week on business. Hotel is a historic property on main street with plenty to see and eat all within walking distance. In fact it will be hard to decide where to go. There is also a CVS and 7-11 and liquor store within walking distance this coipled with in room fridge making drinking a breeze.

I was upgraded to a queen suite which was nice felt a little feminine (decor) at first but it grows on you. Only issue with the room was that the sofa was worn and tired and really
should be replaced.

The staff here was great very friendly warm and gracious. Pleany of computers and printers including in the nice great room in the front of the hotel. Had breakfast one morning but do have to say the menu was a little tired and included no pancakes. Last but not least there is free car service within 5 miles. Great value at 129 and a great location.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
DCAdGuy-Thank you for the kind words.
Dunwoody, Georgia, USA
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a meeting in downtown Dallas mainly because it fit my company's policy on price and quality. Other hotels closer were very expensive. The cab ride from Love Field to the hotel cost $20.50 before tip and this is a flat rate from this airport to the downtown business area. Check in was pretty quick. The elevators seemed a bit clunky but they always worked quick for me. I never had to wait long. The staff also uses the elevators but they are always courteous to guests and it's no problem to share.

The room was very clean and comfortable. I slept great here. The noise from the HVAC unit was below average for a hotel - you can hear it but it's not too loud. The TV is a flat screen but the channels are all analog in low definition and some are snowy - remember that from before HDTV! The WiFi was very fast except for one morning when it was painfully slow.

My room did not have any carpeting. It was all vinyl tile that looked like hardwood floors. No dirt to hide here! It was obviously a clean room. My biggest complaint is no desk to work on if you are on business. I had to cobble up a desk using my luggage and the luggage stand in front of the chair in the room. The room also had a refrigerator and coffee maker but I didn't use either.

The restaurant has a decent breakfast in the morning. You can eat in or buy something to take back to your room. Seating got a bit full in the mornings during the week.

If you need a cab, let the bell hop at the front door know and they will arrange to have one for you. Cabs do not wait outside in the morning. Thanks Danny for getting mine when I left!

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have good views of the city, even on the top floors, since they look directly into...
W4ATL-Thank you.