“Boutique hotel in downtown Dallas”

Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown
Ranked #35 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Tulsa, OK
“Boutique hotel in downtown Dallas”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Cute, clean and comfortable rooms. Great downtown location close to Baylor hospital. Staff was friendly, service great! One of our family members left behind their favorite pillow upon checkout. Housekeeping had it put back for us to retrieve. Thanks for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2013
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Tulsajsas-Thank you. We deal with people going to Baylor a lot and they are special to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Having realised how much I rely on tripadvisor for info when planning American holidays,I've decided to review some older trips and hope my opinions are of some use to others.My wife and I stayed here one night at the end of our Christmas/new year holiday and really enjoyed it.We chose the hotel because of its closeness to Dealey Plaza and ease of access to the interstate for DFW airport the following day.The hotel is easy to find and the valet parking/luggage guys are really friendly and welcoming.The hotel foyer is bright and cheerful and check-in was a breeze,with happy,efficient staff only too happy to help.The small suite we had was really clean,colourful,fresh and cheery.We used the foyer restaurant for breakfast the following morning and,while it wasn't the greatest food,it was hot and fresh and the service was excellent.There are lots of local bars and restaurants (5-10minutes walk) in the area,which felt safe to walk in even at night.Dealy Plaza (and all things JFK) is 5 minutes drive.Overall,this is a very good hotel with great staff in a superb location.We will definitely stay here again if we visit Dallas in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony M
Tony M-Thank you for the review. I will share your words with Chef. We look forward to your return.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel Indigo in downtown Dallas several times since abandoning their sister hotel, the Crowne Plaza, due to issues with noise and old rooms. Thankfully Hotel Indigo is better on both points but there are still some quirks with this hotel that have me exploring other properties in the area.

The hotel has a very bright and updated feel, which contrasts with the fact that it's housed in a pre-war building. This is due to the fact that the floors are hardwood (real in the lobby, imitation in the rooms) and the color palette is generally white, bright blue and yellow. Some think that the colors are out of place in a non-beach hotel but I think it makes the place feel very inviting.

The rooms are interesting due to the pergo flooring (much cleaner than carpet) and the design that includes large images on the wall behind the bed. Regarding the images I have been in rooms with backgrounds of mussels and a blue wool sweater. Views from the rooms vary and it makes a big difference if your room is facing the interior courtyard. If that's the case you get: a) less natural light; and b) much less privacy. So if you like light and privacy do request an exterior facing room. In addition to standard rooms they also have 1-bedroom suites that I have stayed in. You get a bit (but not that much) more room in the 1-bedrooms. I can see these being helpful for families but as a business traveler it's definitely not necessary to pay extra for the suite.

The most curious aspect of the rooms is the bathroom/closet area, which is essentially two rooms. First you walk into a room with a sink (small vanity) and the "closet" area. Closet is in quotes because it's actually a nook with a curtain. The second interior room contains the toilet and a walk-in shower. I haven't stayed in a room that has a tub so I can't say if that option is available. The showers have worked fine but I don't find them very inviting because the room is pretty cramped and there's a curtain instead of a door on the shower. For some reason a door on a walk-in shower seems more proper to me.

On the ground floor, adjacent to the lobby area there is a restaurant/bar that seems like an afterthought to me. The bar closes early and it feels like a spot where you wouldn't want to
order anything more than a glass of wine or a beer. I have patronized the restaurant for breakfast but have found the menu to be limited and the service slow. So I usually count on eating outside of the hotel each morning.

The neighborhood around the hotel is a pretty good one, but it is on the edge of things. There's a park across the street, and there are several bars and restaurants starting one block away on Main St. The hotel offers a free shuttle to give you a lift a bit further afield but I have never used it.

Given the moderate price of this hotel compared to others in the area I think that some of the quirks (interior rooms, weird bath setup, limited restaurant/bar, etc.) are forgivable. If you are looking for a more full service experience (at higher prices of course) and a more central downtown location then this probably isn't the place for you. If those things aren't the biggest deal to you, and you'd like a nice hotel at a reasonable price then this is a place worth trying.

Room Tip: Request an exterior facing room. Rooms that face the interior courtyard are dark and have no privacy...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Big_Apple_Texas
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Big_Apple_Texas-Thank you for taking time to write an in-depth review. There are some limitations that we face because the building was built in 1925. I will share your review with Ownership. I hope you have a great weekend.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The fresh smells of the linens wins me back every time! My colleagues and I comment on how this fragrance takes us back to the time when crisp, white sheets and towels were brought in from the clothesline in the backyard. Makes it easy to settle into a good night’s sleep! Also, everything was spotless. Even though the hotel building is historic, the décor and upkeep is impeccable. I love the in-room microwave and refrigerator, the Earl Gray tea bags, and coffee pouches too! I also enjoy the Odwala fruit smoothies & beverages, seasonal fruit cups or the hearty meals that the restaurant serves. Indigo is not your ordinary hotel!! Finally, I must say how much I appreciate Dora! She is the consummate Indigo Ambassador and I look forward to seeing her each time I come to Dallas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
KristyC-Thank you for taking the time. I will share your comments with Dora. She is special.
Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at the Indigo recently for a family wedding. We had a queen suite on the 7th floor. The room was lovely, a bit on the small side but well appointed. The suite had a couch and was convenient for having guests in to visit. Both sitting area and separate bedroom had flat screen TV. There was also a small fridge, microwave and coffee service in the room. The common areas were bright and cheerful and had several areas convenient to sit around a visit. Every one of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate breakfast several times in the restaurant it was delicious. The hotel is convenient to many Dallas attractions and they have a shuttle that will take to some of them. Parking is across the street in a covered garage either valet or pay as you go. Valet is $20 a day, a bit steep but not unusual for larger cities. We enjoyed our stay and would be happy to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Illusionsphtog-Thank you for the kind words.
Mysuru (Mysore), India
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel is in a lovely old restored building, with rooms full of restored and repurposed old furniture. Very charming! Loved the colour palette of turquoise, blues and yellow. The food is fresh and scrumptious and not over priced, and the staff are polite and helpful. Our room had a sit-out with a TV, and another TV in the bedroom. We didn't use either, but it makes you feel like they are not scrimping on anything. The bed was super comfortable and done up so pretty it was a crime to muss it up.

Room Tip: If you are a Priority Club member you get discounts on all food and beverages!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Ananya_Roy-Thank you for your time. We appreciate your business.
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights while attending a conference based in the convention center. Our room was brightly colored and welcoming and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were all attentive, particularly Michael, the concierge, who made a point of greeting us by name each time he saw us (and who prearranged a cab to the airport for us on his day off - thanks, Michael!). The only negative was that we found it difficult to hail a cab on the street in front of the hotel, which we needed quite often during a busy week. This probably would not be a problem for most people. Several good restaurants are within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room for more light
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
wwpalmer-We are happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your time.