“With age, comes character” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown

Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown
Ranked #50 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Santa Monica, California
“With age, comes character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Immediately, you can tell the hotel is old as the hallway doors are paneled, the base trim is 4" high, there's crown moulding in the rooms, and a marble threshold as you enter the bathroom. Then I learned that this is the 1st Hilton ever built, originally named Conrad Hilton, before Connie dropped his first name from the branding in the 40's. With the cheery yellows and soft blues, one has a very beachy feel. Whoever painted the place, though, did a sloppy job, as the wall color spills over to the chair rail in the hallway. It's like they remodeled on the cheap, with Pergot flooring in the room and 4" tiles in the shower. The wood is nicked, and then painted, several times it seems, but what else do you get with age? At least it's real wood, and not composite. The nicks beckon me to wonder, "Who's been housed here?" The bed is inviting, and I smiled when entering the room, seeing a tray holding an ice bucket and glasses, upon it. There's a charming character to this old hotel. In the end I walk away thinking it's a sweet place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
ErinH-Thank you for taking time to write. I will share your comments with ownership and our maintenance department. I apologize where we fell short in your eyes, but am glad you left with a positive feeling. Have a great weekend.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Maybe it was just the time we visited (mid-April), but this hotel seemed almost strangely quiet for a downtown one, almost like someone picked it up and put it down in the wrong place. It feels much smaller and cosier inside than it looks outside.

It's a nice peaceful hotel, largely because of the ocean theme - the hotel and the rooms are decorated like a beach house, yellow and white stripes and lots of other wavy blue/shell-based detailing. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are decent sized. We had a non-view room that looked out at a brick wall, but that's to be expected in Downtown Dallas. The only minor criticism I have is that the TV was a bit small.

The restaurant in the lobby is nice for breakfast, we didn't eat anything else there - staff are very friendly and the service is quick. In general, all the staff were very friendly actually. There's no hotel self-parking, but there's a garage directly acorss the road for $12 a day (no in & out privaleges though), and others nearby for cheaper.

The hotel isn't exactly close to the local attractions, but it's a nice safe 15 minute walk from Dealey Plaza (JFK museum and monument), and the surrounding historic district. There's plenty of nearby bars, restaurants and parks too.

It didn't feel too special, but it was a nice, relaxing, friendly place to spend a couple of nights passing through Dallas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
DaveC64-Thank you for the comments and taking time to write. I will share with staff.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I pulled up to valet my car I knew I had reserved the right hotel. The check in experience was fast and eady. the staff was very friendly, and my room was fantastic (most importantly spotless)! I had dinner in the lobby restaurant on my first night and I enjoyed my meal… The chicken jerk sliders are delicious! The hotel is right next to a very trendy area in downtown Dallas, within walking distance of several great restaurants, bars, and posh night clubs.
There is also a gym on the second floor which met my basic travel workout needs.
It's been several years since I've been to downtown Dallas and I'm surprised how up-and-coming this neighborhood is… It is super trendy in a good way!
There is also a CVS a few blocks away for incidentals and snacks.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
PatrickC-I will share your comments about the Jerk Chicken Sliders with the kitchen staff. Thank you for your time.
Colchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night and loved it. It was cheaper than other hotels in the area and was more like a boutique hotel but it had a good amount of character inside. It was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly. If I was going back I'd stay here and I'd also have no trouble recommending it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
wozric-Thank you.
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a quick stay, 3 nights. We are from the Chicago area and we're in town for a concert at the Myerson Symphony Center and decided to stay a couple extra nights since we had never been to Dallas. The hotel is located perfectly for Art, culture, great restaurants and the hotel has a shuttle that will take you anywhere you would like to go within 3-4 miles. There is plenty within walking distance also. We visited the Kennedy Memorial, the Arts District, Deep Ellum and ate at some great restaurants without having to get a taxi or taking DART (bus). We did take a taxi over to the Bishop Art District for some great shopping by local artists.. worth the cab fare.

The room was very comfortable and quiet. Some may think the rooms a little small, but it is an older building with a lot of cool history.. plus, we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room anyway. Even though it was a smaller room, we still had everything we could need, iron/ironing board, microwave, small refrigerator, comfy bed, tv with HBO, etc..

The hotel is very nice, but it was the staff that made this a great place to stay. The staff was always attentive and very helpful in making sure we had what we needed and helping us to find great places to visit and eat. I wish I could remember everyone's names, but I do remember that Franklin and Brian at the front door we're awesome! also, I think he must of been a manager, but didn't get his name.. he was awesome too!

We would definitely stay there again and would recommend the Indigo to anyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ChuckInRockford-Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the city. I will share your comments with Franklin and Brian.
Grapevine, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my girlfriend and her friend, they had just got done running a half marathon in downtown Dallas. This was my first time at an Indigo. The beds were large and very comfortable, which was a huge plus for them since they were all kinds of sore. The room was nicely decorated, fairly spacious (but did have some awkward spaces), and definitely had a cottage-like feel — until you pulled back the curtains to see a brick wall staring at you in the face. The restaurant and bar seemed nice, although we didn't eat or drink there. No swimming pool/jacuzzi and I don't think there was a fitness center either, which was a bummer.

The front desk staff and valet staff was very helpful and highly attentive, but unfortunately one of the downsides to this place is that it does seem your only option is valet parking. It's $20 with in-and-out privileges, which isn't too bad, but there seemed to be only one valet person - who was also the shuttle person - so if he's not at the curb you may end up waiting a while.

Location-wise it seems to be on the edge of downtown, not in a great spot for trying to catch a cab (but luckily the valet guy was running a shuttle and gave us a free ride to where we needed to go). With the quaint, cottage-type feel the property exudes it just seems like it's a bit out of place. It feels like a place that would be better suited for somewhere in uptown or elsewhere in North Dallas - if you want to stay somewhere in the heart of it all and get that 'downtown feel' I'm not sure this is the place. But if you want somewhere quiet to stay where you can relax and is still pretty close to everything in downtown, then this is probably your place.

I stayed here on a pretty deep discount, so at that rate, I'd probably stay here again - but not sure if I would at full price, simply because it's not my type of property. I tend to enjoy the hustle-and-bustle and not so much for the relaxed cottage atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
AliK-Thank you for taking time to respond. I am glad you enjoyed the bed. We do have a workout facility on the 2nd floor. Let us know if we can assist you in the future.
Morpeth, Northumberland, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a three night stay at this hotel which is part of the Holiday Inn brand. The staff were friendly and helpful. We each got a $10 contribution to breakfast which covered fruit, toast and a coffee.

The rooms were well appointed and the bathroom was a good size.

I would have liked to see an in-room safe but having said that there is a safety deposit box available at reception.

The lobby and general decor was excellent. My only concern is that the hotel is situated slightly away from the main restaurant areas and the local dining options are limited. The lobby cafe was however excellent. In addition the local DART tram was only a few minutes walk away and the area did appear safe.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
indigodallasgm, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Mikewhillis-Thank you for the kind review. We also have a shuttle that will provide complimentary transportation within a 3 mile radius. We look forward to your return. Have a great week.