“still a very good hotel but....” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Fairmont Dallas
Ranked #17 of 196 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“still a very good hotel but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

its still a lovely hotel but I think standards on the whole have slipped a little. The majority of staff are very nice and friendly but there were a few occasions where the staff didn't go quite as far as they could have or used to. The staff in the gold lounge were very nice but everything had to be asked for whereas before everything was offered before you could ask, its only a little gripe but it does make a difference. My room was very nice although it could now do with being updated its looking a bit tired and the bathroom really needs work it was also incredibly small. I must say thankyou to the bellman Tony Bennet who was just amazing he is the reason that I gave the hotel the very good rating without him it would have been average. My only word of warning to other guests would be that when you get to the front door wanting a cab the doormen will quite often offer you a car saying that its the same cost please check the price with the driver first as I ended up paying $25 for a $11 dollar ride. I did mention this to one of the doorman who said he wouldn't use him again but just be aware. Would I stay here again ? possibly but I would look elsewhere first.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank djh2601

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Longview, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed for a weekend. Was birthday trip for 9 year old, so we have 4 nine year olds with us. Notre dame team was staying at the hotel for the weekend, place was Way busy. Room wasn't ready at 3:30 when we got there, had to wait until 4:45 to get into room. Fortunately it's big hotel with lots open areas when you can get kids to sprawl out and play with their ipads. Room was very nice. Room service food the next morning was excellent. Valet car parking was timely whenever you called down. I think we had bad luck on the volume at the hotel, because it seemed great otherwise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello and thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your child's birthday weekend visit! We sincerely apologize for the delay in checking into your room. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience your family experienced, and I have shared your comments with our hotel leadership team. We are pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast, valet parking service and the newly renovated guestroom accommodations. I hope that we will have the opportunity to be of service on your next visit to Dallas. Thank you again!
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Fairmont Dallas and find this is a challenging review to write.

Let's focus on the positives to start with. The building is very nice. My room was very tastefully appointed and roomy. You won't hear any noise from next door or the hallway. The staff were charming and eager to please. They can handle a 500 person conference providing outstanding service all around. If you are arranging buffet meals, many of the dishes are tasty.

Now the negatives. The noise from outside, particularly if the hvac fan is on, is just about unbearable if you are a light sleeper. Picture a train running by your room - in addition to the noise, there is a physical rumble. The 3 elevators per tower are simply inadequate if you have a large group checking in or out or travelling up or down at the same time. Expect waits of 5-10 minutes. The steak and chicken dishes I had at either the buffet meals or our awards dinner were consistently overcooked. Specifically, my filet at dinner was cooked well done, which was just a shame. In fairness, I spoke to other patrons that did not have this issue, so perhaps the kitchen was just giving me special treatment.

The service was a bit spotty. I bought a bottle of wine and was delighted to find wine glasses provided in the room. The next night, I was going to have another glass of wine only to find the wine glasses had been removed. Perhaps they didn't like the fact that I had bought my own wine rather then drinking their overpriced bar fridge miniatures. They had a nice little Keurig coffee maker in the room. The second morning, I found I hadn't been provided with stir sticks, where I had before. These are just little things, but you really don't expect this from Fairmont.

In summary, i can forgive all the little shortfalls other then the room noise. This would likely be a deal breaker for me returning.

Room Tip: My room was 1110 in the south tower, right at the end of the building. Perhaps they are not all as n...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ashle4
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Not the cheapest hotel but great location because it is a block from arts area and a 10 minute walk down Ross street to the best eateries on Lamar street. Don't waste your time, just ask Tony Bennett from the Fairmont for the best happenings.Most importantly they are very few taxis, call BJ on 14075970214 for a pick up anywhere, trust worthy and reliable taxi driver, used him for the three days I was there. If was back in Dallas again, will stay at the Fairmont.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room and as higher up the building as possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I’m happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our city center location and enjoyed the recommendations made by our hotel colleagues. As the only hotel in the downtown Dallas Arts District, we are located just minutes from a wealth of wonderful attractions and fine dining. Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you again at The Fairmont Dallas very soon!
Austin, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Dallas for a conference. I can offer absolutely no complaints. The room was clean and well-appointed. The staff was courteous and responsive. The fitness room was appropriately sized, with clean and up-to-date equipment.
Most of all, I will remember the flan served at one of the conference lunches. So delicious, I ate two. Also a really good appetizer size beef wellington.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent conference visit. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at The Fairmont Dallas. In particular, we are pleased that our colleagues provided engaging service and that you enjoyed our fitness center and guestroom accommodations. I'm glad that you loved our flan and will share your kind feedback with our culinary team. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you again soon!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Fabulous! I've always enjoyed staying at Fairmont hotels and The Fairmont Dallas was no exception. The gold floor lounge was lovely and the staff throughout the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable, with nice size closet, robes and slippers. Nice toiletries, too. I felt pampered in a luxurious setting. Excellent value for the price.

Room Tip: Worth it to stay on the gold floor!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

My stay was great and a staff member tony bennett was very kind and made sure my departure and stay was pleasant. The little conversation we had i told him iwas from okc n he has family here that was a great to know he made me feel comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013