“Nice but could strive for more”

The Fairmont Dallas
Ranked #17 of 205 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We opted for the more expensive "gold" suite which promised private check in and out--check out is not a problem although we might add that we called to say we were leaving and our keys would be in the room and have yet (4 days later) to receive a receipt via mail or email!! Our 5:00PM Saturday check in required standing in line behind at least 6 parties (and we can't believe they were all "gold" customers)-there was no attempt to try and offer "private" service as no one asked us anything until we made our (slow) way to the front of the line.

Our luggage had been handed over to the bellman at the valet car area out front and after waiting for 45 minutes in our suite, we called the "special" concierge number for suite holders on our floor and were originally told by the young man that answered that everyone was probably running slow due to people checking in; ok-another 20 minutes and we called again and this time a much more involved, concerned young man answered and found our bags (had been left in the lobby unattended we assume) and they quickly were brought to us--really chaotic and bad start for a $500+ room. Front desk staff could have been nicer-we've been treated as well or better checking out at the local Target. We also were placed in the first suite absolutely next door to the elevator but found that (thank goodness) this did not impose any noise problems for us (maybe the floor wasn't fully occupied)--but it did feel that we were given the first room there so no one else would have to have it. Our suite also connected to another room (nonsuite) that was occupied by some ladies who did not always use their inside voices-we weren't happy at this but they were thankfully gone much of our stay so noise did not develop into a problem.

Room service was expensive but delicious and was delivered promptly by a very nice waitperson. He requested (TWICE!) that we call immediately after dinner to have our room service cart removed--this took TWO calls to happen-that's ok-just seems that only about one-half the people at this hotel are concerned with service.

We did leave a breakfast menu on our doorknob and breakfast was (again promptly) delivered at the requested time-it was delicious but slighty cool. We left shortly after breakfast-check out time was 12:00 noon but housekeeping tried to come in at 9:30AM!! Just a warning. Valet staff were prompt and considerate.

Overall we enjoyed our stay (the suite was large, immaculate and beautifully decorated) but this hotel could work harder to provide a more across-the-board dedication to customer service.

Room Tip: We stayed in a "gold" suite located on the 17th floor-don't know if all suites have co...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emmasue1
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that the service you received was unsatisfactory. I will share your comments with the appropriate hotel department leaders to ensure that these issues are addressed. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact us at dallas[at]fairmont[dot]com to facilitate follow up. Feedback such as yours is especially valuable as our colleagues consistently strive to provide excellent service for all of our guests.Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Fairmont Dallas

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Dallas for 5 nights while we were in town for a conference. The staff was lovely, always courteous, knowledgeable and professional. Having an attached Starbucks helped too. We loved our stay and would absolutely say here again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the South tower have been renovated and updated.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with our conveniently located on-site Starbucks and with the service provided during your stay. Our dedicated staff is committed to providing engaging, memorable service for all of our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Honest, that's the guy's name. Short, friendly, out-going bellhop who makes everyone feel welcome. He alone is worth staying at this hotel for. Thanks, Tony, for being such a wonderful man. I hope the Fairmont realizes how blessed they are to have you working for them. I look forward to seeing you again on my next business trip to Dallas.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Fairmont Dallas and that you received engaging service from our wonderful bellman Tony Bennett. Our colleagues strive to provide guests with warm service, and Tony’s enthusiasm is a great example of that commitment. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon at The Fairmont Dallas!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

A great hotel for a conference. It is quite a walk out to bars and restaurants but taxis are readily available outside. Bed Rooms are well appointed. Bar is in the lobby which can get quite busy. There is a coffee shop on site which is great if you fancy a light breakfast option.
Staff were helpful and the conference facilities and catering were great. Meeting rooms were bright and a good size. A good base for a business trip. The only negative was it took a very long time for the shower or bath water to run hot!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the lift as the rooms are not sound proofed!
1  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I went to Dallas for a conference and as some of us do, we go to the hotel bar... I must say I travel a lot and have been in many Bars. James the bartender at the Fairmont made my trip. He's funny,whitty and really knows how to manage a packed bar. In fact when James wasn't on duty it was rather stuffy. Thanks James for making the Fairmont enjoyable!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed The Pyramid Bar and our excellent bartender James. I will pass your kind words along to him! Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you will visit The Fairmont Dallas again very soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed overnight and as always, had a great experience! We were in the Alamo Suite (22nd floor) which was HUGE (bedroom and living room) and had a really nice view of Dallas. There was a big walk-in closet too which would be nice for a more extended stay. The only “negative” comment I would have about the overall room is that the bathroom was quite small compared to the rest of the suite.
The LABO toiletries are high end and smell delicious.
Turn-down service was nice with complimentary bottles of water and a plate of dried fruit & nuts (although this might only be for President’s Club members, not sure so don’t hold them to it!).
The staff was very nice and helpful and checked us in and out in no time.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The Alamo Suite on the 22nd floor is amazing - spacious with a beautiful view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations and the view of the surrounding city. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the level of service provided by our Fairmont hotel colleagues. Our colleagues strive to create a memorable experience for all of our guests. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope that you will visit The Fairmont Dallas again very soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at the Fairmont is Dallas over Thanksgiving weekend. We have stayed in the Fairmont Hotel before in other locations and usually the hotel is lovely. The weather was in the high 70's when we arrived in our room so I went to turn on the a/c and it was not working. I called downstairs and they said it would be a bit before anyone came because he was busy. The engineer showed up within 2 hours and said wow its really not working and he would need some time to fix it. I called the desk immediately and asked t be moved to another room, they told us they could not move us because the hotel was completely overbooked. I did not doubt what they said I just didnt like the attitude of the staff that told me so. I then asked for my card to be refunded and told them we were going to go to another hotel with a/c. They said we can not refund you. I could not get corporate on the phone to report the incident so I just fumed until I logged onto hotels.com to see about a last minute room reservation in the Fairmont for that day. Funny enough Hotels.com had availability. i went downstairs back to the concierge desk to show them the were not sold out and the attitude I had earlier was nothing in comparison to the attitude of dismissal I got when I showed the person who claimed to be in charge that there were obviously other rooms available. We were in Dallas with a heavy schedule of family and events and my time to dispute with the front desk was really limited.
I went back to the room and the engineer was waiting for us with a fan. I guess this was supposed to appease me. The rooms in the Fairmont are huge thats why you book them. The windows don't open so a tiny fan is really not going to do much, but we thanked him anyway. We went out with family that night slept in the hot room and got up and went out the next day. We were out of the room the entire day. Room attendant never came. We had no clean towels, no tissues and still no a/c. I went downstairs to the front desk at 1:00 a.m. which is the time we arrived back at the hotel after being out for 16 hours. They told me housekeeping was long gone and that we had to wait until 8 a.m. the next day to get room refreshments. I kept thinking I was in Motel 8. After way too much discussion with the front desk at 1 a.m. finally someone arrived at the room at 2 a.m. with towels and other items. I truly felt like I was begging for them to help me at a hefty Fairmont price per night. They gave us free breakfast the next morning. The next few days were not much better. We did make arrangements to go to the Omni but the Fairmont was insistent that they would not refund any of the nights for early departure. We rode out the stay and when we got home we wrote a letter to the property manager and never heard back. Although we used to love Fairmont Hotels we will never stay back at this one is Dallas again .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MarliTravels

Thank you for your feedback. We are very disappointed to hear that your recent stay was unsatisfactory. We would like to assure you that your experience is not indicative of the level of service our property strives to provide. I have shared your feedback with hotel leadership to ensure that similar challenges do not occur again. Our colleagues strive to offer guests warm, engaging service and we sincerely regret that your experience did not reflect that commitment. If you would like to further discuss your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at dallas[at]fairmont[dot]com to facilitate follow up. Thank you again for sharing, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.