“wow”

Canary By Gorji
Ranked #348 of 3,610 Restaurants in Dallas
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An upscale fine dining restaurant featuring Chef Gorji, the back-to-back Texas Steak Cook-Off Champion's signature new mediterranean cuisine, steaks and seafood. We are a small, 7-table restaurant, with the emphasis on food and dining. We don't have any televisions, are unable to accommodate young children and do not rush you through your meal to turn tables. We hope you enjoy your time with us!
Plano, Texas
“wow”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Went there on a Saturday with wife and 2 daughters. Wow. Very small place that is run by chef/owner. Unique menu. Everything was exceptional.

Visited March 2014

Dallas, Texas
“Absolutely Incredible”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Love the intimate setting, love Gorgi, and love that it is small yet not crowded. The food is beyond comparison. I like that Chef Gorgi greets every guest and makes sure the food is to your liking.We were there for Valentines Day and staring into my dates eyes I felt that we were all alone in a private dining situation. We never felt rushed and it seems our glasses were never empty. Not too much food and not too little...it was just right. My date was from the Carolinas but quickly said he believed this would be his favorite place to eat in Dallas.

• Visited February 2014
Highland Village, Texas
“Good but not Great”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Went with another couple who were celebrating her birthday. Enjoyed the evening and I thought the food fairly good but the service very good. The restaurant is small, having only about 10 tables total. The atmosphere is pleasant. The restaurant owner/manager is accommodating and more than friendly (in a good way). The other couple and we had appetizers and salads. We all enjoyed our salads but my wife and I had the escargot which we found somewhat disappointing. Mine contained some grit and the snails were either overcooked or, perhaps, not very fresh. i.e. They didn't, "pop" when bitten. For entrees the other gentleman had the pork chop which he said was quite tasty. My wife had the shrimp in a butter sauce and she thought they were very good. The other lady and I had the rib eye. It was just, ordinary. Hers, which was ordered Medium, was served near Medium Rare or even closer to Rare. i.e. Way undercooked although she didn't send it back and when the owner found out about her dissatisfaction he offered to replace it. She declined his offer so he comped her dessert. Mine was cooked correctly but had quite a bit of fat and gristle and was lacking in flavor so it was certainly not worth the price. We all had desserts which although all were finished were, I felt, unremarkable. Canary by Gorji is a personal favorite of the other couple. My wife and I found the entire experience marginally OK but too expensive for the results and, based upon this visit, we are unlikely to return.

• Visited February 2014
U.S.A.
“Worth Every Penny”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We went to Canary by Gorji during a recent weekend in Dallas. You definitely will need a reservation because this is a small, beautiful restaurant that fills up quickly. Something I really respect about this restaurant is that even though it's small, they don't try to make up for it by putting too many tables into the space. Diners have a cozy, intimate setting for their meal, and you can just tell that this is part of the owner's plan for people to have an unhurried dining experience to enjoy.

Let me just say at the outset that while the price range given here ($25-$50 entrees/person) is totally correct, you're going to be tempted by the appetizers and salads and desserts, so plan for this to be a good bit more per person. There's just no getting around it when food is this good, but you'll be a willing victim.

Everything we ate showed careful, loving attention. For example, we had the Mediterranean Mezze platter (hummus, tzatziki, tabbouleh, dolmades) as an appetizer, and it was not only delicious but also a work of art in its presentation. We both had the Texas Wild Boar Tenderloin & Scallops (served with gnocchi gorgonzola and grilled campari tomato) as the entree, and it was absolutely melt-in-your-mouth.

(Side note here...I'm not much of a foodie, so I didn't know what campari is. It's an Italian liqueur that's usually described as "bitter." More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campari. Works beautifully with the tomato!)

I could have eaten a plate of the gnocchi alone and been satisfied, but the wild boar wasn't to be missed. If you've never had wild boar (I hadn't), the taste and texture won't make you think of pork, but more of a beef with a sweet, kind of nutty undertone. Exceptional, and I'm not always a fan of meat, so it means something when I say that. Everyone we've talked to also says that if you get steak here, it will probably be one of the best you've ever nom-nommed on.

As others have said, the wine selection is excellent. We split a bottle of Chilean red with our meal, and then, yes, we did have desserts. Mine was a mixture of ice cream in expresso that slowly and beautifully melded together into something very like the best mocha milkshake I've ever had. There was no alcohol in it, so this wasn't an after-dinner coffee...but if you like coffee, this is worth having!

With a shared appetizer, two entrees, wine, dessert, and tip, it was about $180 for two people. Sure, we could have stuck to wine and entree only, but it would have been a huge loss to have missed the full experience that Canary by Gorji has to offer.

Gorji also sells his cookbook, in case you're a better cook than me and would like to try making these fabulous dishes at home. About Gorji -- he's larger than life with his humor, warmth, and friendliness, and he made us feel like we were the only guests he had. (Which was funny because from all the happy faces at the tables around us, I could tell they all felt the same way.) The staff did a perfect job of providing just the right amount of attentive service without over-hovering and being intrusive.

• Visited January 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent food made with love”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We celebrated my mother's 60th birthday here. I spent days looking for something very fine but extremely unique and came across Canary in a local reviewers blog. Reservations were recommended and I am glad we called. I phoned two weeks prior to Wednesday, the 26th of October to make a reservation and left a message specifying our desired date and time. Gorji, the owner and chef, called me back within an hour to confirm. The night we arrived our table was ready and waiting for us. There are only 10 tables in the place and two others were occupied when we arrived at 6:30pm. By the time we left at 9pm, all tables were full. Thank goodness we made reservations. Our group chose to have the special for the evening, a pork loin with gnocchi and carrots, a wonderful arugula salate, and finished with homemade ice cream topped with chocolate liquor. Gorji made multiple appearances to our table recommending items, pouring our wines, and sharing his best wishes to my mother for her birthday. We were very pleased and considering we are a three generation family in the fine food business, we can be very critical of others. Gorji, many thanks to you for making our evening so special. Your divine cuisine and humble appreciation for your guests is refreshing in todays 'speed them through the chow line' restaurant culture. Many thanks!

• Visited October 2013