“simply the best”

Canary By Gorji
Ranked #347 of 3,614 Restaurants in Dallas
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An upscale fine dining restaurant featuring Chef Gorji, the back-to-back Texas Steak Cook-Off Champion's signature new mediterranean cuisine, steaks and seafood. We are a small, 7-table restaurant, with the emphasis on food and dining. We don't have any televisions, are unable to accommodate young children and do not rush you through your meal to turn tables. We hope you enjoy your time with us!
dallas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“simply the best”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Make your reservations if it is a weekend. We have been disappointed when we drop by and the restaurant if full. This is our favorite restaurant in Dallas. When we bring out-of-towners to the Canary they don't want to go anywhere else. and talk about it for days. It doesn't matter what you order, It is all spectacular.

• Visited August 2012

Dallas, Texas
“Restaurant Week in Dallas - words can't describe the explosion of flavors.”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

2012 Restaurant week - scrumptious escargot pomodoro, delicious veal rib with pomogranite, unbelievable lamb and squab.....my mouth is soooo happy. What a gem! Can't wait for the dessert course. Date and kefir....

“Our Most Favorite Resturant and Chef”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We always order the mussle appetizer and steak with gorganzola sauce for my husband and the pan fried tilapia and gnocchi with gorganzola sauce. We call ahead and Chef will pick up the tilapia and mussells that morning unless unless the tilapia doesn't look good then Chef will pick up something comparable. Same for the mussels, if they are too small or not to his liking Chef will pick up the sardines for my husband. In other words, if it doesn't meet his expectations he won't serve it. My husband has also had the escargot and was very pleased with also. And the chocolate gnache cake is to die for. YUM!!!!!!

Chef greets everyone when they arrive, stops by every table to make sure everyone is enjoying themselves and stops to tell you goodbye and thanks for coming. We've also attended a couple of his cooking classes and enjoyed them as well. If we lived closer we'd be there more often. Thanks Chef! We love you!

• Visited January 2012
Naples, Florida
“Perfection personified”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My wife and I had been here a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. So when a friend wanted to go out to grab a bite to eat, I suggested Canary. I want to be perfectly clear. Chef Gorji is a genius. We started out with the sample appetizer, and all the dishes were perfect. Fresh, tasty and colorful. We had the tomato basil soup next. To die for!! My friend had a steak, which he said was perfection. The sauce enhanced the flavor of the perfect steak, unheard of. And it was fork tender. I had the tenderloins in pomegranate sauce. Again made with love and a dedication to freshness and being cooked right. Great place for a night out with the wife or with friends. Highly recommend.

• Visited January 2012
Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Better than prime " steak in a relaxed, unhurried, cozy atmosphere !”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My sister and I called this cafe after an entire day of shopping. Even though it was late, 9:45 p.m. the owner-chef, Georgie, assured us it was fine to come in after 10 p.m. and have a relaxing meal. What a fabulous place to unwind! Quiet, low-lit, atmosphere, with tables spread out enough to converse and not have to speak over your neighbors conversation.
Georgie is a very hands-on owner who frequently visits his patrons who feel like they are dining in his home and have been friends forever!
But now for the FOOD !!! My sister had wild-caught salmon (superb!) and I had one of the best rib-eyes I have ever had! It was a mix of Bonsmara (an African breed) and Texas Longhorn, both grass-eating cattle , making them much healthier than your average steak , yet extremely tender and delicious with outstanding seasoning! Both dishes were accompanied by roasted beets, turnips, and carrots. Also, perfectly cooked and seasoned. Many choices of salads were offered, but we chose the Greek salad which was excellent and creatively presented. The Cafe has an extensive wine list and generously poured glasses. A superb chocolate mousse cake ended our meal. We left @ 11:30, having never been rushed, completely satisfied, and feeling like we had been visiting a dear friend for the evening. We'll definitely be back, Georgie!!

• Visited November 2011