“Not fancy, but the best food ever”

Zaguan South American Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #5 of 69 Bakeries in Dallas
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I started going to this restaurant 10 years ago, just when they open. It is small, charming café, but the dishes are great. The best is Cachapa with pulled beef and cheese. It is always delicious and satisfying. If you want something unique, off the bitten path, this is the place. Not expensive and very tasty.

There are newer reviews for Zaguan South American Cafe & Bakery

Reviewed January 3, 2014

The place has mediocre food, terrible atmosphere, limited bar, poor service and high prices.
The menu and pricing is misleading. The place is a dive but not priced like one.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent cacachapas. Authentic homemade Venezuelan and South American Cuisine. Great prices and food.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Good place to go if you are adventurous and tired of Tex-Mex. This food is from south of Mexico, so don't expect the ordinary. My whole family loved it. Even better, it won't cost you like a higher end place. We will definitely go back when we are in town.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

In Dallas, mention a Latin Bakery and minds turn to La Duni for good reason. (I could go on and on about their endless coffe menu and the Warm Milk Chocolate Cake Pudding) My daughter's new place is just around the corner from Zaguan on Oak Lawn, so we thought we'd chance it for a quick breakfast. The minute we walked in and looked at the pastry case, we knew we'd made a good decision. We chose an outside table and ordered some strong coffee; yum! I had the Zaguan brunch for $12.99 which included an omelet with peppers topped with your choice of shredded beef or chicken in tomatoes, one arepa, and a smoothie! The omelet was large and perfectly cooked, and the beef on top was tender and juicy with just the right amount of spice. There are not enough words in the English language to properly describe the perfect Arepa. Sort of like a thin corn based English muffin with toasted cheese inside, then toasted all over goodness. The smoothies are hand made with your choice of water or milk base, and any combination of fruits you choose. I decided to try the Guanana which tasted like a combination of guava, pineapple and banana. Honestly, I can't remember what anyone else at the table had, my face was buried in my plate. Zaguan, I return to Dallas in 4 weeks, and this time I'm trying you for dinner and dessert and taking pastries to go!

1  Thank travelchick14

Been to Zaguan South American Cafe & Bakery? Share your experiences!