“An active, saucy scene”

Fearing's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Fearing's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 3,712 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Cross street: Pearl and McKinney
Description: #1 in the U.S. (Zagat-rated 2009). Elevated American Cuisine - global flair with the unmistakable signature of one of Southwest Cuisine's founding fathers, Celebrity Chef Dean Fearing. Rare wines, outstanding cocktails and plenty of local favorites.
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

We last visited Fearing's about three years ago and found it disappointing. But Chef Dean is back on the scene and the experience was much better. In fact, he even was gallivanting about the place and chatting up the customers. I always take this as a good sign. The interior has been slightly modified since our last visit but it is still an open, showy scene with a life of its own. The bar is always hopping. The staff is casual yet warm and knowledgeable. In fact our waiter, though we didn't order desert, brought an anniversary cake to celebrate wedding. They offer an assortment of dishes that showcase Chef Fearing's bold, sometimes rustic interpretation of Tex-Mex cuisine. We started by sharing oysters "Fearafeller" and enjoyed the deep fried oysters atop a bed of spinach and bacon, accompanied by a super savory sauce. The coating was light and the oysters "just" cooked. I had the antelope as a main and loved the preparation. Cooked rare, the meat had a subtle flavor that played beautifully with the char from the grilling. The beans-corn-bacon side was delicious and filling. It captured all the food groups perfectly. Tomatoes with a savory sauce and onion rings breaded with a touch of corn meal completed a most delicious dish. My wife had the bone-in ribeye and though the steak was cooked rare just right, it came with an overly sweet sauce. The tempura asparagus was excellent, but best of all was the cornbread pudding. This item was heavenly and the meal's highlight. It exudes fresh corn flavor and a medley of other subtle, mysterious tastes. Truly something extra special. The wine list presents a variety of offerings, but many may be overwhelmed by the intense food flavors. Prices are definitely on the high side, markups are 150-250%.

1  Thank mingfatsai

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had lunch at Fearing's on the first day of my arrival.
My fried chicken salad was horrible. The chicken was non-existent. It was given on the salad these tough little chicken tenders but they
were all batter. I probably got (total) one fork full of chicken and
that was after I had to strip the hard, bland tender.
The wait staff failed to ask me if I had enjoyed/liked my meal so I
wasn't going to say anything however she took our desert order and told me that she made a great Americano coffee. I told her
to impress me and she did. It was a perfect cup of coffee so in
that situation the restaurant did a good job. I won't eat there again.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I recently traveled to Dallas on business, stayed at the Ritz, and had the distinct pleasure of dining at Fearing's. I live on the East Coast and dine out a lot in New York, Boston and Washington, D.C. and also have traveled extensively throughout the world - so I've had my share of great meals, and disappointments, in highly rated restaurants. Quite simply, Fearing's did not disappoint in any respect. The food was as good as any meal I have had anywhere and the service was absolutely perfect. The cost was pricey, but well worth it. It was terrific!

My appetizer (which I had trouble choosing from about 5 that sounded equally amazing) was sushi quality tuna, stuffed with crabmeat and very lightly pan seared and then tempura fried. It was served on a bed of shredded greens. It was one of the best combinations of flavors I have tasted in a long time. The sauces and faint essence of wasabe blended amazingly and although I'm generally not wild about the green stuff that my appetizer often sits on, I ate every last bite and then cleaned every drop of sauce. It was that good.

For the main course, I was again stymied by the array of incredible choices. But I was in Big D, so how could I NOT try the steak? While the filet and chicken fried lobster "surf and turf" sounded incredible, I ended up opting for the bone-in rib eye, grilled over live mesquite, with "West Texas Mop Sauce", cornbread pudding and tempura asparagus. I have been to the Palm, Sparks in New York, even Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. I eat a lot of red meat. This steak may have been the best EVER. The West Texas Mop Sauce really makes the dish - it is tangy and sweet, but not too sweet, with just enough to flavor the steak without drowning it. The cornbread pudding, with jalapenos, was amazing and the asparagus didn't make it back to the kitchen either. When I was done, there was a bone and a plate and I was incredibly satisfied.

I have been trying to stay away from desserts, but having gone 2-for-2 on appetizer and entree, it was worth making an exception. I had the apple dessert combo, which had three different kinds of apple-based desserts - a fried apple pie that looked like an empaneda but tasted like heaven, an apple spice cake with cream cheese icing, and a sort of apple cobbler with caramel ice cream (apologies if I didn't quite get all of that right - I ate it so voraciously that I hardly remember the details). It was the end of a perfect meal. I was stuffed.

The service was as expected at the Ritz - attentive and prompt, without being overbearing. The only thing even slightly uncomfortable was the bill - the food is pricey, but well worth the cost for a special occasion or moment when you need to pamper yourself or someone important to you.

1  Thank Ephtraveler
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Fearing's is an amazing restaurant located in the Ritz. We have eaten here several times and are always thoroughly impressed with the food, atmosphere and service. Dean Fearing and his staff are true culinary artists and genuinely love to serve. You must dine here at least once during your stay at the Ritz-Carlton, Dallas.

This is arguably the best restaurant in the Dallas area and that's saying a lot.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

When I made the reservations on OpenTable, I let them know that we were celebrating our anniversary. When we arrived, we did not have to wait for a table, and were seated in the stunning Gallery dining room. We had asked for a quiet romantic spot, and our table was tucked into the corner with a comfy loveseat that my husband and I both cuddled up on. We also received a card signed by Dean Fearing congratulating us on our anniversary and welcoming us to the restaurant.
Dean came by the table and introduced himself, and answered a few questions we had about the menu. Loved that he took the time to do this! Afterwards, he sent some complimentary shooters to the table for us - some sort of cold carrot soup with toasted pecans that was delicious! All of the food was unbelievable amazing. We started with the sampler appetizer that included mini crab cakes, enchiladas and baby tacos. They split the appetizer into two plates for us. Hubby had the buffalo tenderloin, and made yummy noises all through the meal. I had the cod with brown butter spaetzle - one of the best things I have ever tasted! Also, the bread basket that they brought out before the meal was spectacular. Loved the crispy crackers and the pretzel bread. After our meal, the waiter brought us a complimentary tiny wedding cake.
We adored our experience, and will definitely be back!