“Very Good Value”

Bistro B
Ranked #366 of 3,580 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dallas, Texas
“Very Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am suspicious of any restaurant which lists 469 Vietnamese and Chinese menu items, with 369 of them marked as “chef’s recommendation” (why would anyone take a chance on the remaining hundred?) I worry that either the ingredients are likely to be frozen, fresh but out-of-date, or some of both. It’s also strange that no matter which of these dishes you order, it appears on the table in little more time than it takes your waiter to run to the kitchen, grab the plate and run back. But everything our party ordered at Bistro B was pretty darn tasty. (My vote goes to the quail. It’s on the appetizer menu, but at three for $8.99, it works for me as an entrée.)

The restaurant is located on the southwest corner of Walnut and Audelia. Prices are extremely reasonable, and most of the dishes are large enough to share family style. Our party left quite well fed for less than $12 a person. It’s BYOB, which is also a big help when trying to dine on a budget.

The clientele is predominately Asian, but it’s a real melting pot, with black, white, and Hispanic diners all appreciating the combination of quality and value.

The place is shiny and clean-looking. The only thing that marred this impression for us was a lone cockroach dodging waiters’ feet as it struggled to cross the room. Our waiter laughed that they need a frog to eat the occasional bug.

I prefer sitting as far as possible from the glare of the store-front windows. Further back, the atmosphere is a bit more subdued, and you could just as easily be in Europe or Asia as in Dallas.

My preferred Asian dining experience in the Metroplex is still Empress of China, on Belt Line Road in Irving – but if you find yourself on the Dallas-Richardson line, Bistro B is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013

• Vietnamese first
Suffern, New York
“Excellent, Reasonably-priced Vietnamese Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I’m not Vietnamese. But it’s usually a good sign when the overwhelming majority of people dining at a Vietnamese restaurant are themselves Vietnamese.
The menu at Bistro B was extensive, covering practically every variety of Vietnamese food. I’m a soup lover, and wasn’t disappointed with the rice noodle with chicken and fish soup I ordered. Nutritious, healing, and yummy.
Service was rapid and excellent. My table was clean and fully stocked with condiments, chopsticks, and big porcelain spoons.
Very much a family place, but also popular with young couples. Given its popularity and the sizeable and growing Vietnamese community, Bistro B was bustling. There was also a takeout counter, which was doing a brisk business. Even though the place was busy, the atmosphere was still pleasant. The interior was bright and cheery, with a picture of an outdoor scene as wallpaper and various colored lamps hanging along one side of the dining area.
A must for anyone living in or visiting Dallas who loves Vietnamese food.

• Visited April 2013
Houston, Texas
“Authentic at the right price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Efficient service with a huge menu to choose from. This place is where I go for the real deal, and the best part is that is doesn't break the bank. Don't let the wacky decor and the fact that it's part of a strip mall make you stay away from here. I love this place and all the menu has to offer. This place is very busy and fast-paced, but they are open late! Plus, they have 4 eggrolls for $1---that's awesome.

• Visited January 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“A local favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

A local friend took us to Bistro B for authentic Vietnamese food. We went in January, and the place still had all of the kitschy neon Christmas lights up: palm trees, flashing Christmas lights, and neon creche. "Busy" does not even begin to describe the decor outside. The authenticity of the place is evident by the numbers of Vietnamese patrons inside. There is a take-out counter where one can order smoothies with tapioca balls (boba) and anything else on the menu. Fantastic spring rolls are sold 50 cent each, and frequently someone comes in to buy 100 rolls for a party. Everything here is very good, and everything comes out very quickly. We tried the pho (noodle soup---always get beef), the crispy omelets, the combination rice plates, the rice vermicelli salads (called bun, dressed with a tangy lime and fish sauce dressing), the bahn mi (Vietnamese sandwiches with savory meats and pickled veggies on freshly baked french baguettes), the fresh summer rolls made with rice and tapioca wrappers. The vegetables are always fresh and crunchy. The service is fast, no nonsense. Wish it were a franchise and everywhere. On weekends, after 6 PM, expect a wait.

• Visited January 2013
San Juan, Texas
“Authentic and truly amazing tasting food!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant was chosen by my wife's aunt during our trip to Dallas. At first, the location (strip mall) made my raise doubts but all was erased upon entering this establishment. This is a very bustling restaurant as it is very popular with the locals. We managed to arrive at a good time when business was just picking up. We didn't have the same waiter/waitress during our meal but that was a plus as we always had someone asking if we need something. My wife ordered the quail and some pork spring rolls. I ordered the vermicelli with chicken, and was pleased to find that they honored my request of having only white meat chicken. Some Vietnamese/Chinese restaurants do not do this. Our food was amazing. It came properly cooked, was visually appealing, and had good portions. The quail and spring rolls my wife ordered tasted phenomenal. My dish was equally as tasting. My wife's cousin ordered the Pho, which we also sampled and it too was great. This establishment even had a mini-market with various imported food and drinks. You cannot beat the value that this restaurant provides. I would highly recommend any of Bistro B's locations, and will return on our next visit.

• Visited March 2013

Been to Bistro B? Share your experiences!