“Arrived with high hopes, departed with a gift that kept on itching”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas
Ranked #4 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Washington
“Arrived with high hopes, departed with a gift that kept on itching”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton-Dallas for 3 nights. It was a nice hotel with luxury amenities such as complimentary shoe shine each night, a guacamole and margarita bar each day, and relatively nice room accommodations. It wasn't anything spectacular, but the employees were extremely friendly and helpful.

Although I have stayed at a variety of levels of hotels throughout my years of travel, from low end backpacker hostels to luxury hotels, this was my first opportunity to stay at a Ritz-Carlton. I was in town for a business-related conference and was sufficiently satisfied with my stay, at the time. It had been months since I had stayed anywhere other than my own home. Unfortunately, after some time, I began to develop a rash on my thigh. It was red and bumpy and somewhat itchy, but I thought nothing of it. Over the next several weeks, the rash began to spread and the itchiness became unbearable. I had redness and bumps on both legs and the itchiness was so severe that I could barely sleep at night. Three weeks after my stay at the Ritz-Carlton the itch was unbearable and I went to the doctor. I was informed that I had scabies. Yes, scabies. I looked at my doctor quizzically as I had not been in close contact with anyone and had not stayed anywhere other than my home and the Ritz-Carlton. How could this be possible? My only conclusion was that, yes in fact, scabies is not just a thing found in third world countries. Apparently, it is also prevalent in locales that perhaps have not changed/disinfected bed linens or towels properly.

I was apprehensive to post this, but after much deliberation, I felt that I had to. It could not go unmentioned. I hope that the Ritz-Carlton of Dallas will take a look at their procedures and ensure that all bed linens, towels, robes, and other soft surfaces are properly disinfected and washed in the future. It needs to be addressed, especially from a 5-star hotel such as this. It is absolutely unconscionable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank msp7278
RitzCarltonDallas, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for your kind and constructive comments regarding our Ladies and Gentlemen, which I will pass along.

We are very sorry to learn of your concerns, and I wanted to reply quickly. The Ritz-Carlton is recognized for the highest standards of cleanliness and we will investigate the matter with great urgency and care.

I sincerely hope that you will give us a chance to regain your confidence. Kindly contact me directly so I may personally attend to your needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Lafayette, California
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in late April. Rooms are elegant, bar is lively and great for people watching, and the food at Fearing's is delicious. Typical Ritz Carlton service with a central location to everything in Uptown. Highly recommended. Don't miss the bar outside when the weather is good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed three nights on the club level to attend a concert at the Worthington. As always, the staff and accommodations were among the best of the hotels we have experienced. The club level staff is attentive and helpful. The rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable. The food offered during the day is great. Fearings is still one of our favorite restaurants in Dallas. Looking forward to our next stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for Easter weekend. Service impeccable with great Texas warmth. Fantastic location - in vibrant Uptown neighborhood walking distance to most museums and other tourist attractions. Fearing's outside bar a great late night hang out.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was my first stay at the Ritz Carlton Dallas. I had a reservation and checked in around 3:30 PM. I was told my suite was not ready and I was asked to wait. I sat in the lobby loung area which turned out to be a pleasant experience. I saw sport stars, a TV star, and a country music legend ( It was Final Four weekend). Despite the wait, the rest of my stay was superb. This is a great facility, with great staff and service. It is pricey, but at the Ritz, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Wichita, KS
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and i spent a long weekend here recently. The service was very good from arrival to departure. Our room was big and very comfortable. Only strange part was the lack of a curtain or blind on the window in the bathroom. Not much for a view in this part of town but i guess they think no one is looking. We had dinner at Fearings which was excellent. We were celebrating a birthday and Chef Fearing came out to the table and talked to us. The appetizers, salad, main course and dessert were great as was the atmosphere. We used the spa and had very good massages. Spent one afternoon out by the pool which was not crowded. Bell and valet parking staff were very efficient.
There are a number of really good restaurants outside the hotel in the nearby area if you want other options. Perry's, Ocean Prime, etc. We would and will return.

Room Tip: The hotel is only the lower part of the building so don't be expecting a real high floor room fr...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank b2buck
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

we only stayed one night but wished we had longer. the rooms were large and comfortable especially the bed. we upgraded for club lounge access and that was a good experience Megan was very helpful as were all of the staff. we used the house car - a very nice Bentley, to visit the Kennedy museum don't miss out on this benefit if you stay. Dinner in Fearings was good but be aware the portions are Texan you may want to share.

Room Tip: go for a high floor corner room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple